PDA

View Full Version : The Longest Scream I've Ever Heard

mjkajdcjc
10-23-2006, 04:32 PM
Maynard lets out this yell that lasts 35 seconds!

Ridiculous! I'm convinced that he has the best lungs in all of music right now!

Oh, yeah. Danny Carey is a beast in this song!

stevejols
11-02-2006, 03:00 PM
i thought it was like 22 seconds

Confield
11-02-2006, 03:45 PM
It's 24, and Lord Worm of Cryptopsy let out a 32 second scream at one point.

mjkajdcjc
11-06-2006, 06:57 PM
It's 24, and Lord Worm of Cryptopsy let out a 32 second scream at one point.

Yep and yep.

My bad, I guess I got confused with when the scream started...

Still, pretty amazing stuff there.

base metal
11-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Haha, yes, that scream is intense. He sounded a little upset and the rest of the guys tell me that he broke furniture and caused quite a scene in the studio, but later made it up to everyone by buying ice cream and lap dances.

Amazing indeed, and he was just getting warmed up.

El Shaggy
11-08-2006, 08:42 PM
That scream releases anger and frusteration in me, and i don't have to do anything but listen. Thats a powerful scream. For a few of my friends this is the only song they like on Lateralus, and it's pretty much for the scream. What a buncha tools yah know.

base metal
11-14-2006, 03:46 PM
I hear ya Shaggy, all you have to do is listen and it's like you blew a bunch of shit up...LoL.
Thats too bad that anyone would only like this song and not the rest of the album, there are so many great moments in the history of rock on this album.

Maynard lets out this yell that lasts 35 seconds!

Ridiculous! I'm convinced that he has the best lungs in all of music right now!

Oh, yeah. Danny Carey is a beast in this song!

Not to say that Maynard doesn't have some serious lungs, but it almost sounds like the vocal track was overlapped, I can't imagine letting out such a yell in just one breath....I don't know for sure though....either way it's insane.

I haven't seen Tool play The Grudge live, so I'm not sure if Maynard lets out as long of a scream live...does he?

PS-Danny fuckin' owned this one.

ladycommish
06-04-2007, 06:37 PM
maynard has let out a long scream on this song live, but I don't remember if that was aided by a synth or what. I assume he uses the synth in schism to enhance his vocals somehow.

martyrinexile86
06-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I have a bootleg of a show they did in Denver in '02, and when they get around to the scream part in the Grudge, he only holds the scream about half as long, if that. Was kinda disappointed, but I guess it would be hard to hold a scream of that magnitude for long in a live setting.

felix45
06-22-2007, 09:46 PM
I think the in studio scream was a one time thing. much like the entire song ticks and leaches. too much screaming to do day after day for concerts, you'd end up needing a lot of steroids to not have a shitty voice after that much screaming. it takes a toll even if he can do it.

dirkz
06-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Yea, his vocals were probably shot after recording that song. Probably the most intense scream i've ever heard.

Cheesegreater
06-27-2007, 05:41 AM
maynard has let out a long scream on this song live, but I don't remember if that was aided by a synth or what. I assume he uses the synth in schism to enhance his vocals somehow.

I have the New York bootleg and he actually does the scream just as long as it was on the album. He leans back and belts it out and at the end he's hunched over to the ground stumbling around. Pretty phenomenal.

lossofprana
07-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Well it's not Tool but during Judas during an APC show a few years ago in Fargo he did that scream at the end and he ended by singing the not at end and he was leaning way back on that one two. So sometimes you can and sometimes you can't but hey when I saw Tool in Rapid City a few years back I think that they only made like 3 or 4 mistakes some of them was there own and some was technical. Damn gremilins

iwouldificould
07-21-2007, 07:40 AM
That scream gives me goosebumps, and I'm still not really sure why. Sooo many different emotions get stirred up inside me every time I hear it.

Jeesus....do I sound like a girl or what? Ah well.

I'm sure you guys get what I'm saying.

emir7
07-21-2007, 09:30 AM
After zoning out of Tool for awhile (hey, there was a long gap between Æ and Lateralus), this is the song that really brought me back in. The scream is just incredibly epic, and probably one of the best I've ever heard.

Cheesegreater
07-21-2007, 10:43 AM
That scream gives me goosebumps, and I'm still not really sure why. Sooo many different emotions get stirred up inside me every time I hear it.

Jeesus....do I sound like a girl or what? Ah well.

I'm sure you guys get what I'm saying.

Yes you do. A hot one. ;)

j/k

bobbobbob
07-21-2007, 06:03 PM
He did the whole thing live...ridiculously amazing...I was in the front 5 or so rows and I could actually hear him doing the yelling without the mic.