PDA

View Full Version : Mantra - a cat? Let's find out

Jimmy Pop
05-30-2003, 12:42 PM
I've said it before, and I say it again. I think it's Maynard BSing with you/us..

For those who's interested, visit:
http://home.no/jimmypop/mantra/

Jimmy Pop
05-30-2003, 12:51 PM
For those who doesn't understand:

The 01x is the original
The 02x is double speed.
The 04x is yes... and so on, right?

If you belive that I'm faking or something, well.. so be it.. Try for yourself. I just thought I should make it a bit more easier.

Now... The real question... What IS making that sound?

Mortal
05-30-2003, 01:14 PM
Yes, but play the 16x in reverse and it does sound a little like a cat. Kind of. :D

Tantobourne
05-31-2003, 02:36 PM
You know....somewhere in the article archive on this site is mention of Danny sampling a moan to obtain an effect on the Lat album.

I challenge someone to find that reference and, hopefully, let the cat out of the bag. ; )

-Tant

Tantobourne
05-31-2003, 02:47 PM
There's also a possibility that I read it on Danny Carey's site amongst his articles......

Hexar22
05-31-2003, 04:29 PM
I read somewhere that it was one of the band's friends doing the noises in mantra....I forget where, but cat

XiPHiaS
06-01-2003, 06:55 AM
Were these versions created from the original cd/wave file or were they created from a mp3? If they were created from an mp3 it would explain things, because mp3s compress the sound by leaving out frequencies we can't hear anyway. So, you'll get a different result when you speed a mp3 up.

revolver_7
06-01-2003, 10:06 AM
it just sound creepy to me....

Jimmy Pop
06-02-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by XiPHiaS
Were these versions created from the original cd/wave file or were they created from a mp3? If they were created from an mp3 it would explain things, because mp3s compress the sound by leaving out frequencies we can't hear anyway. So, you'll get a different result when you speed a mp3 up.
They were created from the original wave made from the original song on the original cd.

Then, afterwards, compressed to mp3.

Tantobourne
06-02-2003, 09:25 AM
What it does remind me of is a didgeridoo.....

XiPHiaS
06-02-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy Pop
They were created from the original wave made from the original song on the original cd.

Then, afterwards, compressed to mp3.
Ok, just had to check... That means it is eighter somewhat distorted by other effects or it just isn't a cat. The first time i heard it, it made me think of whales calling eachother, a baby whale calling it's mother orso. I go with that one, until someone comes up with some better idea of it's origin...

Tantobourne
06-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Alright...I figured no one wanted to take up on the challenge of digging through the articles so I did.

http://toolshed.down.net/articles/index.php?action=view-article&id=June_2001--Modern_Drummer.html

Danny: We use that. I also had a piano that was destroyed. I got some
good samples from that, banging on the strings for "Resolution." I
liked some didgeridoo samples, and a lot of found-sound stuff. The
Tibetan monk sounds you hear on the record are just me growling
through a tube. That was the initial sample, and then I overdubbed an
Oberheim through a Vocoder....
That of course doesn't address 'Mantra' in itself, though. = P

-Tant

soberwithapenis
06-02-2003, 02:36 PM
does anyone else here play the didgeridoo? I've been teaching myself how to play it
its actually quite fun and interesting. Think theres a audience for a band with a didgeridoo?

Just read the quote on the Opinion Homepage.

Underalus
08-08-2003, 10:38 AM
In continuing with the theme of the body as it seems lateralus is based on by the art videos and quotes from the band, maybe the sounds of Mantra are a heart-beat or blood flowing through veins or the sound of breathing from within the body? Hey, would anyone be remotely surprised by Maynard sticking a mic up his ass to get the sound? lol. But seriously, it sounds like someone getting a blow-job under water or something weird like that and the body hypothesis is probably more accurate than the oral sex.

Choise
11-12-2003, 11:23 PM
32x sounds like a smoke alarm =)