PDA

View Full Version : "Three Ring Circus" Interpretation

10-23-2006, 07:33 AM
The "three ring circus" line I believe represents our chain of societal life. One ring representing the materialistic/consumer aspects of life, another ring representing our superficiality and our ability to only take things from the surface, and the final ring representing our desensitized state of mind, our cacophony to keep our deluded mind entertained.

Hym
10-23-2006, 07:36 AM
I think Maynard just needed two extra syllables.

hushypushy
10-23-2006, 09:48 AM
or maybe he just liked this show (http://www.3ringcircusproductions.com/).

Well, to be honest, I always thought about it in the idiomatic sense (http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/three-ring+circus), without putting so much thought into it.

Although, Maynard always always adds other layers...rings could mean anything, possibly bodily orifices for him to shove his cock into?

fretforyourfigure462
11-07-2006, 12:51 PM
The "three ring circus" line I believe represents our chain of societal life. One ring representing the materialistic/consumer aspects of life, another ring representing our superficiality and our ability to only take things from the surface, and the final ring representing our desensitized state of mind, our cacophony to keep our deluded mind entertained.

Really interesting way to look at it. But I think you're overanalyzing. I think Maynard simply means LA is a bunch of fucking 3 ring circus freaks.

There is no spoon
11-10-2006, 09:46 AM
Really interesting way to look at it. But I think you're overanalyzing. I think Maynard simply means LA is a bunch of fucking 3 ring circus freaks.

I think you're right. It's just about shitty people in LA. Totally overanalyzing....

fretforyourfigure462
11-10-2006, 11:56 AM
I think you're right. It's just about shitty people in LA. Totally overanalyzing....

Heh, yeah I see a lot of overanalyzing on this site. A lot of the stuff people says makes sense ,and is quite interesting. But you do you actually think Tool thinks of ALL those aspects as they write their songs? No. Theuir songs are deep but if they thought of all the things people have mentioned, it'd take them a fucking year to write the song. Same thing with Shakespeare. [spelling?] In every English class, as we've disscussed what Shakespeare was thinking or what his writings mean, people totally overanalyze. Yeah, Shakespeare was a wonderful writer, and a deep thinker, but yeah...you get what I mean. I don't know what relevance that had...but there ya go.

There is no spoon
11-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Heh, yeah I see a lot of overanalyzing on this site. A lot of the stuff people says makes sense ,and is quite interesting. But you do you actually think Tool thinks of ALL those aspects as they write their songs? No. Theuir songs are deep but if they thought of all the things people have mentioned, it'd take them a fucking year to write the song. Same thing with Shakespeare. [spelling?] In every English class, as we've disscussed what Shakespeare was thinking or what his writings mean, people totally overanalyze. Yeah, Shakespeare was a wonderful writer, and a deep thinker, but yeah...you get what I mean. I don't know what relevance that had...but there ya go.

Some of the comments are absolutely ridiculous. There's a really bad one in one of the pushit threads about maynard being in love with his mom or something. Everyone wants to have the "breakthrough" that nobody else has been able to figure out. People are so transparent.

Maynard probably reads this crap and laughs at us. Either we missed the point because we're idiots or we missed the point because we overanalyzed. Either way, we missed the point...

I'mCoolMySNReferencesTool
11-20-2006, 12:54 AM
Ahh

But when do we begin overanalyzing our analyzations

Sentry
11-26-2006, 12:37 PM
There is no spoon

I have to go with you on the point of Maynard reading these posts and laughing at us.
Im sure he has a genuine message he is sending to his fans, hell any one who will listen..
But with all of the different interpritations, if he actually thought of all those things there would never be an album... An album would take years.

It may not be a new revelation, but one thing came to mind about Disgussipated...
It sounds like Tools worst work ever, but there are a lot of similarities between the song and Steven Bursts fiction novel "To Reign in Hell."
Check out my post on the the Disgussipated thread if you want a new insight...
And Mr. Maynard if you are reading this... Check it out and see if I hit anywhere close to home...