PDA

View Full Version : guilty

cantfindawayout
11-26-2002, 03:18 PM
I am not one who likes many off the wall releases that include covers and live performances. When i first saw that the Salival cd included strange non-musical tracks like LAMC, i thought i had just wasted 20 bucks. However, when i heard the "Think for yourself; Question authority" opener for Third Eye, i knew this cd was going to be good. Then the "remake" of Pushit furthered my theory. But i was absolutely enthralled when i heard the covers of You Lied and No Quarter, and the early-era style Maynard's Dick. This cd, although i don't believe it to be comparable* to any of the four studio releases, is an incredibly powerful Tool release. I found myself enlightened after Third Eye, inspired after Pushit(much appreciation and respect to Aloke Dutta, he is amazing), and amused after Maynard's Dick.

*I don't mean it isnt comparable in quality, but not comparable in the way it differs so much from the style of all of Tool's other releases.

Now, and many of my friends', favorite track off the Salival cd is Pushit. There is something magnificant about the way Maynard's vocals, Aloke and Danny's percussion, Justin's bass, and Adam's guitar all flow together. What does everyone else think about the cd, as well as the artwork (which i also found to be very fascinating)?

ragna16
11-26-2002, 04:09 PM
I think that the songs are all great, centered around Pushit of course. The art is great, and the way they give you the videos too really makes it a good deal.

povvy
11-26-2002, 10:35 PM
I agree.

The Salival CD is probably TOOL's most underrated venture. This is even true for most TOOL fans! Even though there aren't many tracks, each of the songs, in my opinion, shines.

Patrick.

bmeason
11-27-2002, 01:51 AM
However I think Salival may be in quality (which is great, i must say), I think it is more in the fact of giving fans some special treats. Things they wouldn't normally have or be accessible to.

This was a new trend for TOOL, and something they are continuing to do with the Live DVD coming out. Give fans more than just the cds, give them the live experiences to take home as well.

I applaud this!

-Bryan Meason

Sagacious Foetu
11-27-2002, 09:54 AM
i don't get it...

anyway, the salival cd is not like most live cds.... firstly, it has some recorded tracks, which is awesome... secondly, the dvd for all 6 of the videos is an amazing thing... this band continues to get better and better. in fact, i don't think there will ever be an album that's "not as good as the last one" because i think (as most of us here do) that the last album they made (lateralus, obviously) is merely a step above salival, in terms of evolving, as is salival to aenima (even though most of the songs are the same as aenima songs, just put under different perspectives, given different situations..), etc..

thanks.

xBILLYx

Well Known
11-27-2002, 09:48 PM
Hey man i like your use of the asterisk. Think I'll start using that one myself.

myNick
11-29-2002, 10:18 AM
I think the "You Lied" version is amazing....

The last scream ("You liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeedddddd") kick ass!!!!!

Pushit and Third eye are brillant too =)