PDA

View Full Version : How do u play this on the drums?!?

Wolf
05-28-2003, 07:12 PM
Well, I am a drummer, and I frequently play all the songs on the album. I've gotten the hang of most of them, exepct the end of the grudge.
What the hell is Danny doing during the part when Maynard starts to say, "Wake Up," After that, Danny goes into a crazy drum solo that seems as if it is in no time signature whatsoever. Can somebody please help me with this! That solo seems to make little to no sense.

Penguin
05-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Check tooltabs.net.. and Maynard doesn't say "Wake up" in The Grudge

Wolf
06-01-2003, 06:55 PM
O, i must have accidentally matched this songs lyrics with another. I meat to say, when maynard says, "Let go."

Flojob
06-01-2003, 07:57 PM
i am a drummer as well and my theory with learning how to play parts is this:

listen to Danny's part, and Justin's part. Get them in your head, dont worry about playing exactly what Danny is playing. Play along with the song, and keep Justin's part in mind because Danny(most drummers) play with the bassist. find a beat that sounds good, fool around with it, and eventually you will have it.

soberwithapenis
06-02-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Flojob
i am a drummer as well and my theory with learning how to play parts is this:

listen to Danny's part, and Justin's part. Get them in your head, dont worry about playing exactly what Danny is playing. Play along with the song, and keep Justin's part in mind because Danny(most drummers) play with the bassist. find a beat that sounds good, fool around with it, and eventually you will have it.

The beauty of danny is that he does play with Justin. But he also plays with Adam and Maynard all at once. I think if you listen to the other three's parts seperately with the drumming, it might help you out.

Just read the quote on the Opinion Homepage.

Machiavelli70
10-29-2003, 03:14 PM
Yes yes, Danny does play with the rest, which is very important. For example, listen to Lateralus' funky hat. That's not random -- it's a 5/8 against the rest of the band's 6/8.

That song is written (for the most part) in fives, be it 5/4 or 5/8. We're inclined to count that part ("let go") in 5/4, which is fine, but the drums (and the "let go" vocals closer to the end of it) are really in a set of two 5/8 measures. For example -- the beginning is in 5/8, but try counting it in 5/4. That'd help to get a feel of how that drum part would go when counted in 5/4.

It's just a little odd, because usually 5/4 is split 6/8, then 2/4, or 4/4 then 1/4 (or the vices of those). Another example of this is the 5/4 section of Opeth's The Drapery Falls (a wonderfully written song, unfortunately blemished by some strange gutteral muffler noises uttered from their vocalist o_O)

wizzertz
04-07-2004, 08:41 AM
> After that, Danny goes into a crazy drum solo that seems as if it is in no time >signature whatsoever. Can somebody please help me with this! That solo seems >to make little to no sense.

I am trying to correctly score the whole song in attempt to familiarize myself more with writing and reading musical notation. I figured the Grudge would be a good place to start. I've seen lots of Grudge drum tabs, but I am not satisfied with the accuracy in said tabs. I'm not bashing the authors of those tabs though, so please don't look at it that way. In fact, I am using Mike Land's (the one from Tooltabs.net) tab as a starting point to build this. I am going to start at the end and work my way backwards just because of DC's very "crazy" ending. BTW, if your trying to figure out some of DC's parts, I recommend using Soundforge's Time Stretch process. It will slow down the part and try to maintain the pitch, although it is not perfect. I hope to get some feedback from you musicians out there so I can get this as accurate and precise as possible. Anyways, below are the last four measures of the Grudge. I'm still not 100% sure what exactly DC is doing with the 16th note phrases so I've approximated thus far. It sounds pretty close though with the midi file. I have played this on the kit, but I can't get it anywhere near DC's speed, so I can't really go off of that. Practicing this part is also great for your melodic co-ordination as well (it actually looks like an exercise from 4-Way Coordination). Take a look and see what you think. I have a MIDI file of this too. If you want that as well, PM me.

http://www.lightbound.com/~artsy1gal/grudge.GIF

NOTE: Oops, forgot to mark the drum staff lines. The snare note is in a weird position due to the way it maps out in the music notation software. Going from highest to lowest note.

Snare
Hi Tom
Hi medium Tom
Low Medium Tom
Low Tom
Bass drum

I'll mark them on the next revision.

jarred
05-10-2004, 07:33 PM
nice work

Parabowl
06-02-2004, 07:47 AM
Well, I am a drummer, and I frequently play all the songs on the album. I've gotten the hang of most of them, exepct the end of the grudge.
What the hell is Danny doing during the part when Maynard starts to say, "Wake Up," After that, Danny goes into a crazy drum solo that seems as if it is in no time signature whatsoever. Can somebody please help me with this! That solo seems to make little to no sense.

tooltabs.net, i think the end of that is in 10/10... 3 bars long, good luck though.. try watching it live that always helps me.. get videos off kazaa.. keeping in touch with bass is the key though.. but he kinda keeps the deep end of the drums with bass and cymbals/snare with adam alot.. really weird..

wizzertz
06-08-2004, 11:14 PM
>tooltabs.net, i think the end of that is in 10/10... 3 bars long, good luck though.. >try watching it live that always helps me..

Indeed. I aquired some video during the PA clinic that helped immensly. My camera can capture video sans audio. However, DC didn't stray to far when he performed the songs. So I synced (sunced, sanced? :P) the album audio with the video, and came up with a pretty good result. Be advised that this is a personal web server and it may not be available 24/7.

http://66.209.232.47/grudgeEND.avi

Size: 9.68 MB

>get videos off kazaa..keeping in touch with bass is the key though.. but he kinda >keeps the deep end of the drums with bass and cymbals/snare with adam alot.. >really weird.,

Exactly. I notice that DC and Justin seem to be a little more in tune with each other judging from the various interviews and concerts that I've seen. It does seem weird at first, but once you play some of his stuff, it makes a little more sense. It seems as if DC is trying to accent everybody at the same time.

I've revised the tab a bit more. Here's the midi file. Hum Adam's line and you'll see it's fairly accurate. The time signatures are correct, they are just broken down differently. The current signatures are based on DC's phrasing. Actually 10/10 is correct for the current transcription, but I broke it down into smaller phrases at the time, and for some reason, I'm thinking it was for AJ's guitar line. Anyhow, here's the new revision.

http://www.lightbound.com/~artsy1gal/grudge2.GIF

Here is the MIDI file which directly plays from the above notation:

http://www.lightbound.com/~artsy1gal/grudgeEND.MID

I'll post the staff notation later, the Tylenol PM is kicking in, and I'm getting tired really quickly. One more thing, if you look into my personal web server directory, you'll find another little bonus from the DC clinic (I'll be transcribing that song soon).

EDIT - OOOPS. Noticed I had forgot a line in the transcription (snare, dbl bass, snare, dbl base, snare, dbl bass). Will include that tomorrow.

davelisowski
11-03-2004, 08:53 PM
tooltabs.net, i think the end of that is in 10/10... 3 bars long, good luck though..

10/10?? Do mean that is the time signature? Because 10/10 doesn't exist...

Cyanide ChrYst
11-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Do what I do.
You're musical so I deduce you've got the ability to differenciate drums by the ear. Start with the snare. Figure out JUST that pattern. Ignore all else. It's just like when you follow a bassline to a song...you sort of focus on it and everything else drowns out.

Then find the toms, which should be more confusing because danny has like a 40 piece set and I'm sure yours is around 4 or 5. Then, lastly, danny just alternates through two different crashes and two different splashes, but that can all be tinkered with to sound fine.

Lateral Us
11-04-2004, 03:40 AM
Do what I do.
You're musical so I deduce you've got the ability to differenciate drums by the ear. Start with the snare. Figure out JUST that pattern. Ignore all else. It's just like when you follow a bassline to a song...you sort of focus on it and everything else drowns out.

Then find the toms, which should be more confusing because danny has like a 40 piece set and I'm sure yours is around 4 or 5. Then, lastly, danny just alternates through two different crashes and two different splashes, but that can all be tinkered with to sound fine.

Oh yeh, seems easy enough hey, lol, jk. Wish it was as easy as that sounds, but yeh, that is a good technique, i use it often aswell. Almost like piecing the sounds together, seeing how they fall into place.

Cyanide ChrYst
11-04-2004, 06:54 AM
werd. I mean if you do it enough it's going to work out for you...but the problem is in reality it's just danny going insane on more pieces of his set than you own...so you kind of need to keep the beat and transfer the pattern onto your drums.

Also, tuning makes ALL the difference. I cant tell you how shitty some guys drums sound because they've never tuned them.

champion
11-26-2004, 01:57 PM
interesting that you all must tab it out and analyze the end of the grudge. my intention is not to brag, but my ear for music is really quite exceptional, to the point where i surprise myself pretty often. i can pick up on separate parts very easily and quickly, even in complex arrangements. i had been trying to nail the grudge for a while, and i'm now at the point where i can play it straight through pretty fucking mistake-free, and i've been at this point for about 8-10 months.

the end of the grudge is indeed played right along with justin. the bassline is exactly the same as the beginning, and because of everything coming together thunderously and happening all at once, it's difficult to hear all the drums danny is hitting. if you break it down, though, it appears that it's a lot simpler than originally thought. danny has the habit of making things complex in terms of arrangement, but when you figure out what he's playing, it's not tremendously difficult to play. he's just a monstrously creative drummer.

if i had the tools, i would play the grudge and put a video up for everyone, but i can't do it. all i can say is, play what you think you hear, because you're most likely correct.

deathoughts
03-04-2005, 12:18 AM
most if not all of grudge is in 5/8 or 5/4

the solo is in 5 too

the clicky sounding high hat things which he has going just before the solo is in 5/4

it fits in oddly with the toms because he is playing the toms mostly on a 5/8 sorta pace

tool are awesome