PDA

View Full Version : Maynard Shines!

base metal
10-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Its official, after about 10K listens to this album, Right In Two is still giving me chills. Maybe its because I've been treated like shit so many times, but, this song means the most to me right now.
I usually gravitate towards the edgy, heavy side of Tool but I can't deny this one.
The message, the way it's worded and the feeling in Maynard's voice is awesome. AMEN!!

Terry21
10-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Amen. Those "little" things are found over albums like this a lot, but they get forgotten and the albums labelled as boring because they got overlistened and the lucky memories are erased. Just like when you're out of love.

I agree!

Terry21
10-28-2006, 01:14 AM
I think it's about creating weapons. Not in an Iraq war way, just forging a blade and killing somebody. Give monkeys thumbs (metaphor for extra brain) and they forge a blade (metaphor for killing).

mr. nikki jensen
10-28-2006, 09:40 AM
I think it's about creating weapons. Not in an Iraq war way, just forging a blade and killing somebody. Give monkeys thumbs (metaphor for extra brain) and they forge a blade (metaphor for killing).

you could defently be right in this...

Terry21
10-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Not a big deal, they just, well forge a blade. They make a club and beat a brother down, that's how humans are.

mr. nikki jensen
10-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Not a big deal, they just, well forge a blade. They make a club and beat a brother down, that's how humans are.

yea. sick sad little world

base metal
11-01-2006, 10:34 PM
unfortunately my friend

Legion
11-09-2006, 08:57 PM
I think the reference to 'thumbs' is actually just that. Our form of monkey has an opposable thumb, which divides us from other primates. We can not only grasp the ketchup bottle, but we can use it for precision movement. Armed with reason and thumbs we forge a blade and the killing begins.

'How they survive so misguided is a mystery.
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
To lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.'

This song is more of a statement in reference to our vicious thirst for blood when we were gifted the ability to reason and the anatomy to construct our dreams. Instead we squander those resources in the pursuit of short term gains soaked in blood. Just think what we could do if we put the blades down and focused on bettering humanity.

cliche101
11-09-2006, 10:14 PM
The chorus says it all: "Divide it all right in two"

I don't think there is any Christian or even evolutionary propaganda in the lyrics. The lyrics just portray the simple instinctual ideas of us not getting along.

However, the use of adam and eve holy garden imagery, as well as evolution imagery, may lead some to interpret it as christian or evolutionary propaganda.
I think if maynard were to say evolution is right or wrong or christianity is right or wrong would be hypocritical given the context of this song.

I think the underlying message is this : "Why can't we just get along?"

Divisions happen on macro and microscales in religion, politics and even music we listen to. Difference is part of life and so is division.

The question is.... Have we always been divided or were we once in a "holy garden of understanding eachother" where there were no divisions? Is it possible for us to create a new "holy garden" or rebuild what we have divided?