PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Use of Her

Forever In Debt
10-17-2006, 03:50 PM
I know people use her/him to describe objects all the time. People call their cars him and her and whatnot, but maybe when he says "without her" and uses that term they are actually speaking about a person. It's just a thought, and a big stretch, but think about it and see what you get.

MORNING_GLORY
10-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Its not such a big stretch... to me, it personifies the moon... gives it a humanistic quality. And seeing as the moon is confessing a secret to Maynard, they must be in some kind of relations.

I see this song as an account of a near-death experience... which, in its own special way elevates the narrator to the dissolution of his/her ego...

As far as I've read, near-death experiences can be very dissociative... causing the 'experiencer' to almost hallucinate... and of course with every spiritual experience, the message is delivered in a unique and completely individual way. In this case... the moon itself tells the story-teller a secret... which in turn develops into a full blown epiphany of sorts.

ktdude
10-18-2006, 12:58 AM
Also throughout history in mythology, literature, astronomy and many other sources, the Moon has been referred to as a female entity, controlling feminine physiology and psychology on Earth. I think that this could simply be the reason Maynard refers to the Moon as 'she' and 'her', and that there may not be much more to read into it than this.

amenorakumo
10-18-2006, 01:43 AM
^ I agree. Also think that female energy is the emotional aspect of humans; so without it we're lifeless satellites drifting. ties in with the duality thing

iAMtheMA!
10-18-2006, 09:38 AM
what's a satellite? who are we satellites of? the moon? no.

the moon says (and i quote):
"as full and bright as i am, this light is not my own,
and a million light reflections pass over me.
its source is bright and endless. she resuscitates the hopeless.
without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting."

the moon talks of "she" and "her" (i.e. the moon isn't talking about herself in the third-person). so, there's something else to tag the female entity with. it's gotta be the sun. the source of the light. but does this reflect our light bodies (merkaba)? though the sun is usually depicted as a male entity, we learn through sacred geometry (et al) that the merkaba needs that balance of male AND female - and once we've activated our light bodies (through 100% intention and love), we will shine as brightly as our sun. without the balance in intuition, our merkaba's are lifeless ...and we are simply drifting. but what are we satellites of? what is our orbit? i'm thinking it's the golden mean spiral, the "path of god" if you will.

MORNING_GLORY
10-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Also throughout history in mythology, literature, astronomy and many other sources, the Moon has been referred to as a female entity, controlling feminine physiology and psychology on Earth. I think that this could simply be the reason Maynard refers to the Moon as 'she' and 'her', and that there may not be much more to read into it than this.

Actually... I did a search on moon gods (on wikipedia)... and not strangely about half are male, half are female. So that would not suffice your simple idea of giving the moon a female persona.

To delve deeper into my idea...

Assuming this song has more than one meaning... all the internal reflecting done by the singer would probably bring to the surface some unresolved conflicts... and usually for males, they are in the form of stuck female energy (emotions), and vice versa. Therefore, he is told his lesson by a female energy... probably the one within himself. (hence reflection)
I mean, the moon says it all... hes just another reflection... and without her... he never would've come to this grand awareness.

The integration of these emotions... coupled with his near-death experience (which could be natural, or drug-induced)... where the moon "talks" to him (or does he just come to a realization?) could most definitely result in an amazing revelation, and dissolution of ego.

MORNING_GLORY
10-18-2006, 12:56 PM
what's a satellite? who are we satellites of? the moon? no.

the moon says (and i quote):
"as full and bright as i am, this light is not my own,
and a million light reflections pass over me.
its source is bright and endless. she resuscitates the hopeless.
without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting."

the moon talks of "she" and "her" (i.e. the moon isn't talking about herself in the third-person). so, there's something else to tag the female entity with.

I totally agree with what you've said... but I think you misinterpreted the lyrics slightly. (not that it really matters, but just to help you see it another way)

The moon says:
"As full and bright as I am, this light is not my own
and a million light reflections pass over me"

Then Maynard begins again:
"It's source is bright and endless, she resuscitates the hopeless..."
....referring back the moon as the resuscitator.

Also... I read in an article awhile back that Maynard says the "light" he talks about is the light of pure information. That every person if a reflection of the information they posses. You are a reflection because you did not create the info and nor can you destroy it... because no one can create it... its pure... you just learned about it and became able to understand it and pass it on.
And we wax and wane such as the moon because we can gather up lots of information... and be huge and bright and full of knowledge... or we can be dimly lit, and posses little knowledge and light.
But either way, once you come to the realization that you are not the knowledge you posses... that it does not define you or actually make you any brighter than you already are, it makes you no better than anyone around you, (because we all have as much potential) then you can "crucify the ego", so to speak.
I like this concept.

iAMtheMA!
10-18-2006, 06:37 PM
fuck yeah, i like it, too! thank you for that, morn'.

ktdude
10-19-2006, 12:14 AM
Actually... I did a search on moon gods (on wikipedia)... and not strangely about half are male, half are female. So that would not suffice your simple idea of giving the moon a female persona.

To delve deeper into my idea...

Assuming this song has more than one meaning... all the internal reflecting done by the singer would probably bring to the surface some unresolved conflicts... and usually for males, they are in the form of stuck female energy (emotions), and vice versa. Therefore, he is told his lesson by a female energy... probably the one within himself. (hence reflection)
I mean, the moon says it all... hes just another reflection... and without her... he never would've come to this grand awareness.

The integration of these emotions... coupled with his near-death experience (which could be natural, or drug-induced)... where the moon "talks" to him (or does he just come to a realization?) could most definitely result in an amazing revelation, and dissolution of ego.
I see what you're seeing and I do agree that the act of the Moon speaking to him is significant, however I think you're attaching a little too much meaning to the fact he uses 'she' and 'her' - I don't think it has much to do with a female energy I truly just think it is as simple as referring to the Moon as a female entity - merely that the pronoun 'she' is more appropriate than 'he' in this case.

Just my opinion.

emotional masturbation
10-19-2006, 08:09 AM
I totally agree with what you've said... but I think you misinterpreted the lyrics slightly. (not that it really matters, but just to help you see it another way)

The moon says:
"As full and bright as I am, this light is not my own
and a million light reflections pass over me"

Then Maynard begins again:
"It's source is bright and endless, she resuscitates the hopeless..."
....referring back the moon as the resuscitator.

Wrong. The source is the sun. This song is about some kind of duality, moon and sun duality. The moon depends on the sun's light to shine on her own. Without the sun we are lifeless satellites drifting.. This is probably an elaborate metaphor for some relationship maynard was in to. Cant say much more.

Shantzy Boy
10-19-2006, 08:46 AM
The her here IS the sun. The first half of the "Its source is bright and endless, She resuscitates the hopeless" lyric is obviously referring to the light's source, the light being shone by the sun and reflected by the moon, and in the second line, the She must still be the Sun because the line is referring to the "source". "She resucitates the hopeless" is the moon referring to itself (as "the hopeless") once it has no light. Then the sun resucitates it and it shines again. And it goes through cycles.

MORNING_GLORY is exactly right when he says "We wax and wane such as the moon" As I write this post, I'm taking information that I read, or obtained, somewhere else, from someone else's writings/speakings. Now I'm waning while I provide this information to you. As you read this post, you're taking in all the information I've written and provided. You wax. Then you can release this information to someone/somewhere else, and you wane. You then want to know something else, something new, so you can become full again. That's one way to look at it, anyway.

The metaphor of the Sun is a doozy, and it's been around for ages. When you hear of pagan sun worshippers, it's not usually a literal worship of the physical sun up in the sky, the sun is just a metaphor for the source of all creation. But creation is kind of a bad word. Hopefully you can catch my meaning, here.

The way nothing on this planet can survive without the sun is one way of looking at it. Everything on this planet stems back to the Sun eventually, even the planet's creation, and the whole solar system's creation.

What the Sun represents here, is basically the source of everything, but especially your conscious abilities in this instance. Where do all your ideas come from? How do they come into being and get reflected in the first place? So that's why we're lifeless satellites drifting without Her. Because where would you be without any sort of conscious ability to form thoughts? You'd just be a sack of flesh wandering around without any sort of guidance, or anything, really. Just picture a Body/Brain without the Mind. And the metaphor of the satellite is just comparing us to moons.. because that's exactly what they are without the Sun. It doesn't necessarily mean we have to be orbiting something.

The ego is what separates us from the source of everything, from the oneness of all conciousness, matter/form, energy, etc, making us believe that we are truly NOT one, but this is only an illusion. "And you will come to find, that we are all one mind." This is what happens after the ego has been destroyed. This shows that everything really does stem from one source, here being symbolized by the Sun.

Here's a nice quote from Alan Watts:

But if you are really open, and you start looking around, you suddenly see that you're in a world where everything is absolutely incredible. Not simply lovely things like these blossoms here, but also the dust on the floor, little wiggles, cracks, and the quality of light in things. That's what's so fascinating, the reflection of light on everything, becuase everything that exists is really a reflection of everything else. Reflection is ultimate. The reflection is a mirror, here, and when the curtain is drawn, it suddenly looks as if the Chrysler building is across the other side of the East River. You say, 'Well, it isn't really there, that's just a reflection.' But the Chrysler building on THAT side of the river is a reflection. Some reflection, but that's what it is. The whole world is just energy bouncing. What exists if it's not reflecting? That's the clue: reflection. The reflective life, the contemplatory life, is therefore wisdom.

To get a better understanding, I'd suggest reading, or listening to the entire lecture... check out this website:

http://deoxy.org/watts.htm

Some good bedtime reading. I highly recommend the lecture entitled "Self and Other"

Oh, and I don't think the fact that the Sun is a She/Her is truly significant. Other than the symbol that the female is the giver of life, and that we are all birthed from females, etc.

Prison Sex
10-20-2006, 12:06 AM
^ Good post

iAMtheMA!
10-20-2006, 07:36 AM
yeah, the guy's nearly 11 for 11. he should make the team for sure!

MORNING_GLORY
10-22-2006, 02:46 AM
Right on Shantzy Boy, I'm reading the lyrics slightly differently now.
You put the song into words better than I.