PDA

View Full Version : God Like

idontmind462
11-26-2002, 02:27 PM
The album Lateralus is by far the best album instrumentally by the fab 4. The bass, guitars, and drums are god like and genius which fill me with a surge of overwhelming spirituality and lust. If you do not orgasm at least twice listening to this album there is something horrifically wrong with you. Every piece on this collection is a mind-bogling experience.

ragna16
11-26-2002, 02:45 PM
I agree, and let's not sell it short lyrically. I love the way the 4 all meld themselves to the theme seamlessly.

Revolver_04
11-26-2002, 04:13 PM
this album was very well done, and i love every bit of it. the artwork is amazing as well...

C

bruce
11-26-2002, 04:54 PM
i feel this is the stongest album from the band, it flows very well and yes, the instumental and lyrical skill are amazing. They compliement each other in a way many other bands cannot even begin to try.

Alex Grey's artwork is incredible, I love his works and it gives me great pleasure to flick through the artwork.

This is truely album to which others are judged

Vincent
11-26-2002, 06:28 PM
Yes, to me this album is the best Tool album by far (it's the best of ANYTHING to me).......the art alone makes you love it. *loves his Lateralus* (I love it, but I don't "love" it.)

Tokes
11-26-2002, 06:40 PM
I think The Grudge is a perfect example of how this band just meshes together so well... each part becoming more individual yet the band as a whole growing more towards becoming a single entity.

But I think Aenima is just as good as Lateralus, It can sometimes satisfy different urges within me than Lateralus cannot.

Spiral out, keep going.
- Tokes

timesig.net
11-27-2002, 07:34 AM
Lateralus doesn't hit you as hard as aenima at first, but over time it works on you and changes your overall view and perspective. I'd say that this is the most open and emotional cd. However, each cd has different effects on the way a person feels. You must work on getting the same effect out of each cd, this is no simple task.
Lateralus, in general, has a natural feeling about it. It seems as though the music just comes out. While the music is highly complex(time signatures, polyrythms, etc), it seems to flow out very purely. Lateralus, for me, is the pit of my emotions summed up into 70minutes of music.

Kostia
11-27-2002, 04:57 PM
You know, not only God like, but it seems kind of like seeking God.

But anyways I want to introduce a thought based on that last post...

What is the overall colour of each album to you guys, not based on the artwork?

To me Opiate is a kind of crude yellow, and Undertow is a similar crude, but brighter red, like some kinds of sand are. Aenima is a very fluorescent and powerful blue, and the songs off Salival strike me in a similar way that is less overtaking. Lateralus is almost like a perfect blood red to me.

I realized all that one day when I thought about which album I like the best. I can listen to all of them start to finish but Undertow leaves me feeling dry, in some ways, thus and perhaps the red. Opiate is similar, it brings out the necessity for change but doesn't fulfill it so much (perhaps with its brevity). Aenima I love... it is intense and powerful and provides the solutions, in feeling. It, I believe, is their best work. And Lateralus... it is wonderful also, but more of a healing and transcendent piece.

Any thoughts?

idontmind462
11-27-2002, 06:35 PM
I am not selling short the lyrics in this album. The problem is I cannot comment on them because I don't feel worthy. To think that these words and emotions could come out of any one human being is simply..... Any one have a suggestion for a word that should go there?

mind4spirit
11-27-2002, 07:22 PM
I don't have a word to describe it...It's so above anything..

Misoanthropos
11-28-2002, 12:52 PM
i find that it doesn't have the classic appeal as any of the albums preceding it...

it has quite impressive drumming and vocalizing, the juxtoposition of bass and guitar roles is always nice, and the immediately hopeful and optimistic lyrics made me so happy...

the songs tend to meander though, it definately sounds more experimental and less structured than any of there other albums...but that is probably why it loses a classic appeal

regardless i still love it

Flood
11-29-2002, 12:37 PM
I love this CD, probably my favorite Tool CD of all. That would mean it's my favorite CD of all time. This CD makes me reflect on myself, changes my view on things. This is the perfect CD to listen to in the middle of the night.

pink gentile
11-29-2002, 02:14 PM
i agree with you in every way imaginable. opiate leaves me with a kind of lusty/wanting more feeling. while, undertow leaves me feeling slightly empty, as if something was missing, or as if i need to find something. aenima fills my soul with love and loss, pain and anger. it leaves me feeling as though i have nothing left to want or to need. salival leaves me very much the same, whole and complete. and finally, lateralus gives me the peaceful and relaxed feelings, as though finishing a book, in which, the beginning is hard, and the ending is beautiful and peaceful. thier is no other band that has done this for me. nothing, no other band; loved one; or friend ever left me with all these emotions. they have changed me, and i never want to be the same...

Iknowyouwell
12-02-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Kostia
You know, not only God like, but it seems kind of like seeking God.

But anyways I want to introduce a thought based on that last post...

What is the overall colour of each album to you guys, not based on the artwork?

To me Opiate is a kind of crude yellow, and Undertow is a similar crude, but brighter red, like some kinds of sand are. Aenima is a very fluorescent and powerful blue, and the songs off Salival strike me in a similar way that is less overtaking. Lateralus is almost like a perfect blood red to me.

I realized all that one day when I thought about which album I like the best. I can listen to all of them start to finish but Undertow leaves me feeling dry, in some ways, thus and perhaps the red. Opiate is similar, it brings out the necessity for change but doesn't fulfill it so much (perhaps with its brevity). Aenima I love... it is intense and powerful and provides the solutions, in feeling. It, I believe, is their best work. And Lateralus... it is wonderful also, but more of a healing and transcendent piece.

Any thoughts?

When I think of opiate in terms of colors I think of yellow as a dark yellow, undertow as a natural green, aenima as a fiery red, and lateralus as a midnight blue.
Ive no idea what this means, but I definitely think of them in terms of colors....

Kostia
12-04-2002, 12:50 PM
It can be hard to use colour to describe something and then communicate the feeling. Different people have different appreciations of everything, it would seem.

However there are various emotions that commonly associate with different colours.

Blue: tranquility/peace/sadness/sickness

Red: passion/excitement/torment/pain

Yellow: completion/fear/desire/atrophication

Purple: creative thought/woe/depth

Green: growth/sickness/joy/contentment

Orange: hmmm... I forget

Actually, many colours can achieve similar emotions, I think, in their own unique way, depending on the tone of that colour, or the shade (I don't remember what term is appropriate, if not perhaps both of them).

I hope that helps, however.

Describing Tool albums by colour is the ONLY way I can describe them, provided people understand me. When I am asked which is my favorite, I am very puzzled. I look back and I can sit through each one of them without any skipping or modification. Even segues mean a lot to me. So I try to describe them by a kind of visual emotion, in colour, and I think that's why Aenima stands out the most to me, it is the most appropriate shade. But I could never say that truly it is my favorite, because they all are.