PDA

View Full Version : Angels should try living in Reality

t_0_0_l
10-12-2006, 12:47 AM
I have been reflecting on this song and realizing many things. The song obviously mocks human beings calling them delusional monkeys, fighting over trivial things when they are able to transcend all other creatures created on earth. Human beings can see they are going to die in other words, yet still want to have possession of something that won't be of any use after their mortal vessel is gone. They destroy and take rather than create and share. This rather redundant analysis has a point though. Humans are still bound to a mortal shell and not all of us care about lasting beyond it. Furthermore, even though of us who wish to exist beyond this life in some way (through creating), will do so by destroying. And even if we wish to help our brothers, we usually do not unless it’s not too much of an inconvenience. We all simply want to exist through any means necessary and desire to be happy. I could elaborate further upon this philosophy and relate it to the laws of thermodynamics, but it will detract from the point. The point is, the only violation of this rule is what we call "love". Some people may not call self-sacrifice love, but in a biblical sense, it is (By the way, I am not referencing Jesus). So Angels do not understand why we would kill each other when love allows us to compliment each other and coexist whilst attaining happiness. There are two main differences between the idyllic world of Angels and reality. Firstly, love on earth is interpreted differently thus it has different values depending on the person. Even if we all loved each other, it would be hardly equally. Secondly, Angels do not live in reality (as we know it, symbolically or otherwise). We all want to live (even some of the depressed see suicide as more of a way to be important in life) and be happy, but we have to worry about not existing the next day. Our lack of ignorance also gives us a lack of assured existence. Angels however, do not have to worry about being eaten by a tiger, much less have to worry about being killed. Even if we worry less about not existing in our rather pampered niche, it is still there. Angels have an eternal love that assures their existence so they can in turn, return an eternal love. If an Angel had to live without God's presence, it would be as selfish as any silly monkey. I may have a few non-sequitor errors in there, but I am a silly monkey with no sleep. Reflect on the valid points.

AlcheMilla
10-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Maybe this song is a mockery of mankind, but I can sympathise with the great sadness someone looking from the outside and seeing the potential of humanity might feel, seeing us go about.
Just thinking about this concept of love...it beeing so narrow with us, and often in societies such as mine seldom referred to in any other meaning than love between man and woman, or any couple, not involving humanity and self sarcrifice, like you wrote.
Yeah, it's hard beeing a man, isn't it. In a situation where violence is the only alternative to non-existance, physically or culturally, well, it's a harsh choice. There is a lot of fighting and opression and misery going on though, that has little or nuthing to do with survival, but mere selfishness... And a lot closer to home than we like to think. We love to close our eyes to things happening in our "pampered niche", but violence is the daily bread for many women and children (and men) close to us. So if we cannot help those close to us, how could we possibly ever begin to really make meaningful efforts for people on the other side of the world, fighting for pieces of the ground? It's like going away to the gulf to free some people from oppression, when you got your own people homeless and starving...
As for searching for happiness, its in our human nature to do so, try to avoid pain and gain pleasure.
I believe in humanity though....I believe in everyone wanting to do their best, not because of god or assurance of eternal existance, but because in the end it might ensure a more lasting happiness, to contribute. We have yet to realise that, is all. heh. though some have, I think.

Phorty
10-14-2006, 08:04 AM
It doesn’t require an "angel's" outside perspective to comprehend the notion that the current paradigm we are living in is a negative one that is slowly consuming us spiritually and physically, i believe we are all pretty aware of this , yet in the same respect ,there is no reality aside from the one we create internally and externally.

The fault doesn’t lie on how separated and isolated from the source we've become but why we have chosen this path ,collectively.

This shouldn’t turn into some sympathy for humanity thread , as well comparing angels and man is done without much significance , there is no finger to blame here , only responsibility to be taken .

BabyDal
10-15-2006, 01:04 PM
This shouldn’t turn into some sympathy for humanity thread , as well comparing angels and man is done without much significance , there is no finger to blame here , only responsibility to be taken .[/QUOTE]

That's definitely true. Our actions, as a society, are what cause these problems on Earth. There are those who take responsibility and try to clean up what we've done and those who want to deny that the way we are living is detrimental to ourselves and Earth.

Don't know if this has been suggested to any of you before or if this is a trite suggestion, but I just finished reading an amazing novel that bears parallel ideas to this song: Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

Shinji
10-01-2007, 08:56 AM
It makes me remember that one Maynard's favorite movies is "Wings of Desire" by Wim Wenders.

wearethestories
10-02-2007, 05:30 PM
It makes me remember that one Maynard's favorite movies is "Wings of Desire" by Wim Wenders.

Where'd you hear that?

I love Wenders.

Shinji
10-09-2007, 04:33 AM
Where'd you hear that?
In one of his interviews ; he also loves "Apocalypse now", "The Deer Hunter" or "Taxi Driver" (certainly where his actual "hair" is from).

Sleeper0013
06-07-2009, 11:48 AM
See it from a Higher point view,,,, Humanity is a collective,,, and we treat each other like shit, BECAUSE WE LABOR UNDER THE DELUSION THAT WE ARE "SEPARATE" FROM EACH OTHER there for in competition with each other... from their point of view collectively we are a mental patient stabbing it self with a plastic fork...that would confuse any one...

Inner_Eulogy
06-08-2009, 07:58 AM
See it from a Higher point view,,,, Humanity is a collective,,, and we treat each other like shit, BECAUSE WE LABOR UNDER THE DELUSION THAT WE ARE "SEPARATE" FROM EACH OTHER there for in competition with each other... from their point of view collectively we are a mental patient stabbing it self with a plastic fork...that would confuse any one...

Good bump, this is actually a pretty good thread here with many angles, suggestions and theories for discussion. I'm surprised it died out so easily. I've got some thoughts on this as well but I'm at work and will need to re-approach this later.

Kody27
06-08-2009, 04:29 PM
I've got some thoughts on this as well but I'm, well I actually don't have anything relevant to contribute to any significant discussion because I don't fit in well with 15 year olds talking about Tool.

I wasn't gonna say it, but if you insist.

I'll hit you in the face so hard, that you'll be crying and stuff, and, yeah, you'll be all bleeding and on the ground wishing I hadn't of hit you in the face!

Inner_Eulogy
06-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Kody27
This message is hidden because Kody27 is on your ignore list.