PDA

View Full Version : The DMT Experience

MORNING_GLORY
10-10-2006, 02:44 PM
http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=1839

Apparently, DMT causes many of its users to feel the "chosen one" sensation.

P.S.

I am not saying Tool drew reference from this or anything... just thought it would be interesting coming from a real person.

HappySlave
10-11-2006, 07:32 AM
http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=1839

Apparently, DMT causes many of its users to feel the "chosen one" sensation.

P.S.

I am not saying Tool drew reference from this or anything... just thought it would be interesting coming from a real person.

In a 1988 study conducted at UNM, psychiatrist Rick Strassman (who wrote the book DMT; The Spirit Molecule) found that approximately 20% of volunteers injected with high doses of DMT had experiences with a perceived alien entity. People I know who have taken the substance also reported the same ET experience.

MORNING_GLORY
10-12-2006, 01:53 PM
I've read that book... and I realize that many see alien entities... I didn't realize how many felt the notion of being "the chosen one"

HappySlave
10-17-2006, 11:36 AM
I've read that book... and I realize that many see alien entities... I didn't realize how many felt the notion of being "the chosen one"

Sweet.

sjenkins
10-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Found this on digg.
Joe Rogan explains the feeling of being on DMT. Lots of complex geometric figures and crazy "chosen one" aliens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grcqs9cDuN8

Aunt Acid
10-20-2006, 07:02 PM

I assure you that they themselves have done DMT and more or likely have felt these feelings themselves.

El Shaggy
10-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Found this on digg.
Joe Rogan explains the feeling of being on DMT. Lots of complex geometric figures and crazy "chosen one" aliens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grcqs9cDuN8

This is really interesting to listen to. Joe Rogan knows his shit on DMT. I found it interesting how we create DMT nightly in our sleep and upon our death bed, while it is one of the most illegal substances on the planet. He also goes on to say that the gland that emits this substance has a cornea and a retina much like an eye. So this could be our third eye emitting DMT to us at night in our sleep. Fascinating shit.

MORNING_GLORY
10-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Actually, DMT is just as illegal as LSD or mushrooms, or even pot.
But apparently we create large amounts of DMT at birth, during near-death experiences, during sleep, and at death.

I assure you that they themselves have done DMT and more or likely have felt these feelings themselves.

Well hell, we've all done a little DMT... just at night.

iAMtheMA!
10-23-2006, 06:05 PM
;)

BlanketEffect
10-23-2006, 08:06 PM
If thought is nothing but chemicals stimulated by pulses of electricity, isn't it obvious that by changing the brain chemistry, we change our thought process?

Psychedelic use is voluntary evolution experimentation.

Boyd in Black
10-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Psychedelics hold the answers to alot of questions we can't answer. Five gram mushroom trips always leave me feeling like I've witnessed something amazing, but it's nearly impossible to put into words ..."I forgot my pen".

...Severely connected would be a good way to put it.
Navigating an Ocean of chaos to find an inner truth. Peace.
A fleeting glimpse of divine beauty.

MORNING_GLORY
10-30-2006, 11:30 PM
^Amen to that.
An interesting theory proposed by Terence McKenna called the "Stoned Ape Theory"

"Perhaps the most intriguing of Terence McKenna's fascinating theories and observations is his explanation for the origin of the human mind and human culture.

To summarize: McKenna theorizes that as the North African jungles receded toward the end of the most recent ice age, giving way to grasslands, a branch of our tree-dwelling primate ancestors left the branches and took up a life out in the open -- following around herds of ungulates, nibbling what they could along the way.

Among the new items in their diet were psilocybin-containing mushrooms growing in the dung of these ungulate herds. The changes caused by the introduction of this drug to the primate diet were many -- McKenna theorizes, for instance, that synesthesia (the blurring of boundaries between the senses) caused by psilocybin led to the development of spoken language: the ability to form pictures in another person's mind through the use of vocal sounds.

About 12,000 years ago, further climate changes removed the mushroom from the human diet, resulting in a new set of profound changes in our species as we reverted to pre-mushroomed and frankly brutal primate social structures that had been modified and/or repressed by frequent consumption of psilocybin.

McKenna's theory has great appeal and intuitive strength, but it is necessarily based on a great deal of supposition interpolating between the few fragmentary facts we know about hominid and early human history. In addition, because McKenna (who describes himself as "an explorer, not a scientist") is also a proponent of much wilder suppositions, such as his "Timewave Zero" theory, his more reasonable theories are usually disregarded by the very scientists whose informed criticism is crucial for their development. "

http://users.lycaeum.org/~sputnik/McKenna/Evolution/

Taking this into consideration... psychedelic drugs may have played a bigger role in our evolution than previously imagined!

...which is why reintroducing a psychedelic such as mushrooms into our collective diet could result in another evolutionary leap! Whats next?

BlanketEffect
11-01-2006, 07:53 PM
A recent study at Johns Hopkins University observed and recorded the experiences of subjects given doses of psilocybin. Based on the descriptions and events described by the subjects, the researchers announced that they could not find any difference in the subjective experience of psilocybin mystical experiences and those mystical experiences brought on by fervant prayer and/or meditation.

In other words, having a profound mystical experience on mushrooms is experientially the same as having a 'genuine' mystical experience via a devout religious exercise.

If need be, I can dredge up a link for this. I've more or less covered the specifics of the article, however.

MORNING_GLORY
11-03-2006, 10:22 AM
"I think psychedelics play a major part in what we do, but having said that, I feel that if somebody's going to experiment with those things they really need to educate themselves about them. People just taking the chemicals and diving in without having any kind of preparation about what they're about to experience tend to have no frame of reference, so they're missing everything flying by and all these new perspectives. It's just a waste. They reach a little bit of spiritual enlightenment, but they end up going, 'Well, now I need that drug to get back there again.' The trick is to use the drugs once to get there, and maybe spend the next ten years trying to get back there without the drug."

- MJK

(stolen from someone in the interact section)

BlanketEffect
11-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Amen.

Simply a catalyst - not the cure.

27 Years
11-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Wow, DMT sounds really cool. Where can I get some? haha

MORNING_GLORY
11-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Well... if you cut your brain open... its the only gland within your brain that is not divided. The pineal gland (aka the "seat of the soul") is distinct from other sections of your brain because of this.

base metal
11-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Hmmm, I don't really do drugs anymore, but, I have to say that all this talk about DMT is intriguing M_G. I have done a little more than my share of LSD and Mushrooms in the past and it makes me wonder how anything could possibly be more intense. Listening to Joe Rogan talk about the experience is almost frightening..LoL. It sounds like the user does get a feeling of being 'the chosen one' and the hallucinations so vivid that one would swear that it was really happening....crazy.

I really like that quote by Maynard by the way. Since I haven't tripped for so long, I totally agree. I discovered a lot of things by experimenting with hallucinogens, things about the meaning of existence and a lot about people in general. I have always thought that trippin' is about more than just hallucinating, but, kind of a "revealing of truth" if you will. I draw from these discoveries to this day in the way that I view certain things, I definitely think that it made a difference in my outlook on life and people and I don't regret it at all....Peace

El Shaggy
11-08-2006, 10:34 PM
heres something (http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=43998) to sink your teeth into. I thought it was a good read.

base metal
11-08-2006, 10:47 PM
I enjoyed that...thanks Shaggy.

MORNING_GLORY
11-08-2006, 10:47 PM
It is incredibly interesting. I've never actually done DMT, but just studying it has brought about a ton of answers for me.
Its only been within the past 2 years that I first "discovered" DMT, and its also when I first experimented with psychedelic mushrooms. Since then I've become a sort of "mushroom enthusiast", telling everyone I know about all the things I'd discovered while tripping. Compared to mushrooms, DMT sounded like something I definitely wanted to experiment with, which is why I'm really glad 10,000 Days came out when it did. Rosetta Stoned made me realize that I may not be ready for something like DMT just yet. Being a high school drop-out (don't worry, I went back and finished), I decided our stories were too similar to put myself in that sort of situation. Mentally, spiritually, I wasn't ready for DMT. I'm still not.
Its sort of a personal on-the-side-goal to prepare myself for DMT. In the mean time, I'll continue studying and meditating.

However... if anyone knows where I can buy some DMT give me a call 202-358-0000 thanks.

base metal
11-08-2006, 11:05 PM
LoL...I'm thinking about getting my paws on some, just don't know when that might be or if I really have the balls to take it, but I'll let you know if I come across any.

insideyourmind
11-08-2006, 11:10 PM
call me too please...

BlanketEffect
11-09-2006, 01:33 PM
If smoked in its crystal form then DMT induces the state of being described by Joe Rogan (which is a very light description of the DMT experience, in my opinion).

If taken in the form of Ayahuasca (a bitter tea) its characteristics are a bit more like mushrooms. Still more intense and 'weird/alien' feeling than mushrooms, though.

Also, in tea form the trip is spread out over several hours (much like the timeline of mushrooms) - however, smoking it is basically like cramming the sum total experience of the four hour trip into about 10-20 minutes. Needless to say, if you thought mushrooms were mind-bending, now plug that entire experience (and then some) into 10 minutes.

If it's more or less pure DMT crystal it should take about two hits to really get there. The first will start to make things get really strange and alien-esque to you. Taking the second (or even third, if you can maintain motor skills) hit will typically cause the plunge into DMT-space. It's one of the most amazing experiences you'll be a witness to, but make sure your intentions are right going in. There is nothing recreational about it. At all.

(Also, be aware before you go in, that when smoking it, there is no coming back once it starts. You're in it for the ride so be wary.)

El Shaggy
11-09-2006, 07:03 PM
In my reading, all seems to be pretty intruiging and jaw droppingly astonishing. But then the conspiritor inside me wonders if this isn't just the newest synthetic designer drug created specifically to give a user "the chosen one" experince specifically. With what intent i am not sure. Though they claim you can extract it with a simple chemist set. I guess it all seems to good to be true, as cliched as it sounds.

MORNING_GLORY
11-09-2006, 10:02 PM
No way... DMT is virtually in every living thing on this planet (and most likely others)... I believe the "chosen one" sensation comes in to play when the user has an ego problem, such as the one in Rosetta Stoned... hes obviously more in touch with material things and pop culture and isn't quite prepared for whats about to happen to him. I'd say this song is intended to show thats psychedelic drugs aren't meant to be recreational.

El Shaggy
11-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Very true, and my theory would require a mad scientist with some sort of world domination motive. I should really get around to finding a copy of the DMT:Spirit Molecule book.

MORNING_GLORY
11-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Definitely... its a great book. Once I really started enveloping myself within the it, I wanted to become a biochemist... or whatever the correct term is for the field or work Dr. Strassman is in.

BlanketEffect
11-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Reading that book, along with DMT experiences of my own, led me to change my major to pharmaceutical chemistry.

Strangely enough, that same experience served as the catalyst that has now led me to change my major to philosophy.

Strange the way things go.

Airport Mesa
11-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Psychedelics hold the answers to alot of questions we can't answer. Five gram mushroom trips always leave me feeling like I've witnessed something amazing, but it's nearly impossible to put into words ..."I forgot my pen".

...Severely connected would be a good way to put it.
Navigating an Ocean of chaos to find an inner truth. Peace.
A fleeting glimpse of divine beauty.

In my opinion this is the 'terrible secret' the ouija board spoke of when asked about rosetta stoned. This divine knowledge we all 'know', but forget when we come down or rationalize it away.

MORNING_GLORY
11-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Yes... it is most disappointing... which is why I ALWAYS carry my trusty pen.

BlanketEffect
11-15-2006, 11:45 AM
You should be the pen. Then you can't forget it.

El Shaggy
11-15-2006, 01:30 PM
Reading that book, along with DMT experiences of my own, led me to change my major to pharmaceutical chemistry.

But don't make treatments man, find cures! Even though when you will find cures your bosses won't put them into practice. Treatment is much more profitable than cures. Which is why pharmaceuticals suck.

MORNING_GLORY
11-15-2006, 09:39 PM
You should be the pen. Then you can't forget it.

That brings me to a question I've had trouble answering on my own... Are there any methods to remembering psychedelic experiences better? Because honestly, I'd never be able to write down my thoughts in as much detail as they come to me. There are a few outstanding moments that will never escape my memory, but its everything inbetween that is constantly dissipating... reguardless of how intriguing (or obvious) it may be. I hate having the feeling of losing newly aquired information...

...tips are welcome.

swampyfool
11-17-2006, 01:34 PM
That brings me to a question I've had trouble answering on my own... Are there any methods to remembering psychedelic experiences better? Because honestly, I'd never be able to write down my thoughts in as much detail as they come to me. There are a few outstanding moments that will never escape my memory, but its everything inbetween that is constantly dissipating... reguardless of how intriguing (or obvious) it may be. I hate having the feeling of losing newly aquired information...

...tips are welcome.

This may seem cliche, but stop trying so hard. The experiences that one has with psychedelia often seem otherworldly, but the reality is that their genesis comes from within. My theory is that our experiences in such states are a superlatively intense reflection of all that we are- even that of which we are not normally conscious. Thus my advice concludes- don't try to remember the specifics in a chronology. Just absorb it all and let your soul do the remembering. Allow the lessons that you learn with psychedelia to be absorbed into your subconscious rather than the conscious; into your instinctual being rather than your analytical being- after all, the point is to form a more harmonious union between body and mind rather than to separate the two.

Allow me to elaborate. When I am tripping, the speed and cohesion of my thoughts increase exponentially. There is no way that my sober self would even be able to process information that quickly and seamlessly- let alone document it for later review. Whether this is because psychedelics allow us to come into contact with the portions of the brain that we may describe as predominantly dormant; or because they allow us to connect to a collective consciousness that boosts our processing speed in much the same way that a (well constructed) network of computers can process information more efficiently than a single unit can; or because of some occurence- metaphysical, biochemical or otherwise- that happens outside the human frame of refference is immaterial. (My personal best guess is that psychedelics allow humans to tap into the portion of our beings that are in constant contact with the collective consciousness- but it is just a guess.) What matters (in terms of the point that I am making, anyhow) is that the sober human mind is ill-equipped (if equipped at all) to process the lessons of psychedelia. On the flipside, whatever energy it is that we tap into while digging that crazy vibe seems to be precisely within its element when exposed to these truths. In my opinion, it is better to allow that energy to store that information and then allow it to manifest itself within your life but outside of your concious decision making. Does that make sense? Please let me know.

BlanketEffect
11-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Good thoughts, SPO - I'd just like to add that though it can be easy to be swept away during the psychedelic experience you should make at least [i]some[/] effort to get it recorded, if only in spirit.

Try a camcorder. Record your trip/thoughts/insights. A tape recorder works well also. Even better still is a computer recorder software. Whatever it is, the point is that you just blurt out the random, seemingly nonsensical information that's racing through your brain. Then listen to the thoughts/recording shortly after coming down. The recording should jog your somewhat-sober mind enough so that once you completely come down you'll be able to associate the recording with rational thoughts a lot more easily. The main thing is to blurt out as much as you can during the trip. Memory by association.

When you're incapable of wielding a pen, then you be the pen.

swampyfool
11-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Or let the computer be the pen? I don't know, it seems overanalytical to me- but that's just me. Plus, leaving evidence behind is not always the most prudent plan. But to each his/her own.

MORNING_GLORY
11-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Good points... and yes that makes very good sense SPO. However I agree with both. Maybe its not so important to be able to remember and cite every little detail of what happens... in fact its impossible. But maybe for certain situations where I absoutely can't let myself forget what I've "discovered" I could record myself trying to explain.

BlanketEffect spawned an idea... memory by association...

...Seeing as I'm 100 times more creative when tripping... I could take the entire experience and put it into a picture or something... a sort of representation of what I experienced, based on images that would remind me of what happened. Not exactly an original idea... but one I hadn't thought of... thanks fellas.

Burn1
12-04-2006, 05:22 PM
dmt = " load universe into cannon, aim at brain "

http://deoxy.org/h_leary.htm

ZiGgy
12-05-2006, 09:53 PM
has anyone ever done this? do you really get the "chosen one" sensation?

BlanketEffect
12-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Well, I was reading last night Zarkov and Gracie's Erowid journal entry and they mention doing it while at the peak of another psychedelic (LSD or mushrooms, specifically) and about how if DMT is overwhelming at first, compiled with another drug peak can make the experience goddamn mind-breaking.

In the song he mentions several drugs, "X" "DMT" and "Blotter" - it's quite possible he was 'candy-flipping' (which is rolling while on LSD) and then smoked some DMT and it put him into the scene that the song describes. Those three at once I can not even begin to fathom...

But to answer your question, Ziggy, yes, oft times when in the grips of a powerful psychedelic experience you feel as though some great wisdom has been imparted to you and it's your human duty to speak this lesson of truth to the world... and then you sober up and you're like... 'what the fuck was that?!?'