You should know that
Im the man,

And if Im the man,
Then youre the man, and
Hes the man as well so you can
Point that fuckin finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what Ive sold you,
Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
And you bought one.

So Ive got some
Advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point your finger
You should know that
Im the man,
If Im the fuckin man
Then youre the fuckin man as well
So you can
Point that fuckin finger up your ass.

Dumb fuck.

Dip shit,
And you bought one.

All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on tv
Is a product
Begging for your
Fatass dirty
Dollar

So...shut up and

Buy my new record
Send more money
Fuck you, buddy.

My interpretation:

I think Maynard is making fun of us. Not nessacarily all of us, but the ones that claim to be huge Tool fans and claim to know everything about Tool and what their songs mean.
It kind of makes me feel like a dumbass, because many times I have emphasized my love for this band...I mean yeah, they are just 4 guys that get together and make music...but their music has really meant something to me and has touched my life. It has taught me things I hadn't realized before. I may not always completely agree with what is being said in their songs because Tool's main religious beliefs differ from mine. It doesn't nessacarily make me a hypocrite, I just enjoy Tool's music, and admire mostly everything that they're about.

Maybe we all spend too much time trying to figure out what they're all about, when really they just want us to take it the way we want it.

Looking at the lyrical perspective of their songs, I think Maynard does believe in God, but has just had a hard life which has made him turn his back on God.

I dunno I may be wrong.

But I look forward to hearing everyone's feedback.

trixie
10-10-2006, 04:57 PM
I like what you said. Their music has changed me/touched me in so many ways. So many people in my life don't get it. I get such the spiritual high. You know? Love it. Then, I hear this song and yep, kinda feel like a dumbass. And I don't necessarily agree with all of what they say either.

You hit the nail on the head with "the just want us to take it the way we want it"

This cracks me up. I have met just a couple of "rock stars" and I just have no composure. I sweat and babble and am just a general boob. From reading about Maynard's sarcasm, I told my bud that I go to concerts with, that if I ever come into the proximity of Maynard at all.... Just punch me in the throat. Don't question it, just do what you have to to shut me up. And I really don't want to meet them. Seriously, James Hetfield was a total F'n Booze Soaked Cock to me and my friend. Didn't even say shit to him. Fuck him. Killed my taste for Metallica. Would hate to have that happen to Tool.

fretforyourfigure462
10-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Ha, so you've met James Hetfield huh?
Yeah, My brother in law met him too..said the same thing you did too.
He's a total asshole.
I know exactly what you mean though..if I had met TOOL...I would hate for it to ruin my taste for them. Cause knowing myself, I'd probably say something retarded and seem like all the other imbeciles out there who are star struck by anyone who can play a guitar or sing a song.
So I'm like you in that sense. I'd love to meet Tool, but at the same time I wouldn't.
I have met some "rock stars" too. At Warped Tour this summer, I met Chris from Underoath, the lead singer of Silverstein, and a few members of The Casualties..cause they came down in the audience in the mosh pit and we got to mosh with them.
I have also met HORSE The Band [a nintendocore band]...and they were pretty cool.
But in every situation I had met someone "famous" I usually ended up saying at least one dumb thing.
Would definitley hate if that happened with Tool.
Although I would like just ONE day with them...just to ask them questions about the things I haven't been able to figure out.

Anyways, thanks for the response. =]

jdstrube
10-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Maybe we all spend too much time trying to figure out what they're all about, when really they just want us to take it the way we want it.

Looking at the lyrical perspective of their songs, I think Maynard does believe in God, but has just had a hard life which has made him turn his back on God.

I couldn't agree more

mjkajdcjc
10-23-2006, 04:04 PM

I dunno I may be wrong.

Damn dude. You might have just made the best point I've ever seen on this website. Maynard tends to joke a lot about being cynical and cranky, but there is no doubt he has some kind of faith in God (or atleast he used to).

fretforyourfigure462
10-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Thank you. I'm glad my opinion makes sense to somebody.
One thing that has made me think that Maynard believes in God is the song "Right In Two" on the new album.
"Why did Father give these humans free will?"
Obviously "Father" means God. And if I didn't know any better, I'd think Maynard was possibly a believer after hearing that song. In most Tool songs, they don't speak of God in any other way than negative.Of course, there is a lot of controversary as to whether some songs he sings is about God or someone else. Like Eulogy for example.
My conclusion keeps building as I find more out about the songs, however, as it stands right now, is I think their lyrics are basically saying they believe in God butare angry about something unknown to us. Something we possibly may never know. And I think they like it that way. Mystery can be interesting though.
I'm sure you all have heard the saying "Assuming makes an ass out of U and ME."
Well in this case, it's very true. We're a bunch of asses who overanalyze everything their saying. That's why I think Maynard is making fun of us all.

10-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Thank you. I'm glad my opinion makes sense to somebody.
One thing that has made me think that Maynard believes in God is the song "Right In Two" on the new album.
"Why did Father give these humans free will?"
Obviously "Father" means God. And if I didn't know any better, I'd think Maynard was possibly a believer after hearing that song. In most Tool songs, they don't speak of God in any other way than negative.Of course, there is a lot of controversary as to whether some songs he sings is about God or someone else. Like Eulogy for example.
My conclusion keeps building as I find more out about the songs, however, as it stands right now, is I think their lyrics are basically saying they believe in God butare angry about something unknown to us. Something we possibly may never know. And I think they like it that way. Mystery can be interesting though.
I'm sure you all have heard the saying "Assuming makes an ass out of U and ME."
Well in this case, it's very true. We're a bunch of asses who overanalyze everything their saying. That's why I think Maynard is making fun of us all.

Nice avatar.

fretforyourfigure462
11-03-2006, 12:30 PM
thanks =]

w4lk4
11-07-2006, 08:05 AM
My interpretation:

I think Maynard is making fun of us. Not nessacarily all of us, but the ones that claim to be huge Tool fans and claim to know everything about Tool and what their songs mean.
It kind of makes me feel like a dumbass, because many times I have emphasized my love for this band...I mean yeah, they are just 4 guys that get together and make music...but their music has really meant something to me and has touched my life. It has taught me things I hadn't realized before. I may not always completely agree with what is being said in their songs because Tool's main religious beliefs differ from mine. It doesn't nessacarily make me a hypocrite, I just enjoy Tool's music, and admire mostly everything that they're about.

I dunno I may be wrong.

Well ive heard a lot of talk about a lot of bands selling out, this song goes after those who bitch about sellout bands. My definition of a sellout is someone who changes their style to suit the masses. Maynards telling his "original gangster type" buddy that he sold out as soon as he signed on for a record deal. Look, the only way to not sell out nowadays is to go live in the mountains and grow your own food and whittle and play the banjo for entertainment. he's not saying hes better or worse than us , but he is shooting back at those who ride tool for selling out. Tool is Tool. They do not change for the fans, they change for themselves. If the music isnt as heavy as what was put out on Opiate or Undertow its because Tool has evolved as musicians, not because their producer called them and said "Well guys, the demographics are in, this song and this song are the most popular off this album, so try and keep to this style and we'll sell more records" They make the music for themselves; the fans are incidental. You guys talk about hetfield being an asshole, well ive never met him but i have three words to say about his band......Napster; Unforgiven 'two'......need i say more?

Well i started babbling and i apologize to any who have made it this far, but i guess what i'm trying to say is a sellout is one who gives up the music for the money, Maynard sings about giving up his soul for the money, so everything that comes after is pure

fretforyourfigure462
11-12-2006, 03:34 PM
I never said I thought Maynard was saying he was better than us.
But yeah, I agree with what you said.

There is no spoon
11-13-2006, 06:17 AM
Dumb question fretforyourfigure462, what the hell is OGT?

"New tattoos that claimed that he
Was ogt,
From 92"

jacob's ladder
11-18-2006, 04:38 AM
OGT is an acronym for Original Gangster Tool and describes a Tool-fan that has followed them since the beginning.

pppZero
11-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Dumb fuck.

Dip shit,
And you bought one.

I think personally its just a jab at the recording industy in general.
One of my cousins was in a band, they got signed, released an EP, and what do you know? It was NOTHING like recordings they'd done themselves. They're unsigned again.

In order to release a record you have to give it a pre-determined level of "polished" conforming to a "sound" they want, and released when the label wants it released.

Now, Tool have a fair following, and their albums sell, their shows sell out, but they still would have had to face this pressure.

The Boy he met at the start of the track is just another johnny-come-lately fan. Listening to the latest single, reading the press releases in his favorite magazine, and suddenly knowing Everything. The boy is an unknowing victim to the pressures of business. Even his fashion sense.

maggie72
12-03-2006, 10:16 AM
You´re right.
More songs with similiar meaning.
Hooker with a penis
Ticks and leeches
Rosseta Stoned
(seems that one song ´bout fans on every album)

I'm interested in knowing how Rosseta Stoned has a similar meaning.

I always thought that rosseta stoned was a song about the irresponsible way people try to use drugs to expand their mind.

TEST
12-03-2006, 11:34 AM
It's obviosly talkin' about "old school" ass-holes who say they've selled out with the "aenima" album.