PDA

View Full Version : A more unifed album

ragna16
11-26-2002, 12:39 PM
I really love the way that this album more than any other I believe I've ever listened to has, one common Theme. Every theme of a song seems to go together nicely with every other themes. They all represent a different relationship one can have, and can be viewed either intraspectively, introspectively. I think that's where the real genius lies, not in the individual songs but in the fact that they all relate together and form a common bond as a Lateralus.

ATO
11-26-2002, 12:55 PM
I definitely agree with you, Lateralus feels much more a single piece than any of Tool's other albums. This same process of unifying an album is also found in a few other artists such as Dream Theater and Opeth, but Lateralus is a much more flowing, far more creative, far less rigid demonstration of this form of composition.

But if you like this style of album, you should definitely try out Opeth's Still Life and Dream Theater's Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory.

bringerofbasses
11-26-2002, 01:03 PM
..Or Dream Theater's "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (Second disc)" for that matter. Heh..odd, because I am actually listening to it as I type this. But the disc is a wonderful 40-minute episode for the ears.

rickiep00h
11-26-2002, 04:20 PM
The thing I was always reminded of was Dark Side of the Moon.

Tool mentioned while making Lateralus that they wanted it to be very much like "The Wall" (or was that the next album, I'm not sure). I think they're working toward concept albums much the way Floyd did; they had albums with singles, then one that sounded much the same, then one that unified the general idea of the songs as well as music. I think Lateralus is Tool's Dark Side or Wish You Were Here.

Which is nice, because it took them a lot fewer albums to get there than Floyd did.

Hopefully they continue to progress toward an even more epic place, and I bet they've got at least one double album in them I bet. So here's hoping for a Tool album to go 742 weeks on Billboard's charts.

DrDuke
11-26-2002, 06:18 PM
i see TOOL as a Pink Floyd of the 90's and lateralus is the DSOFTM of the 90's. i know that they are two totally different bands but they still have great similarities.

Open Eye Visual
11-27-2002, 07:51 PM
except, of course, that pink floyd became ludicrously famous after dark side.

Cracker
11-28-2002, 01:29 AM
...And lateralus was released after the 90's.

myNick
11-28-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by DrDuke
i see TOOL as a Pink Floyd of the 90's and lateralus is the DSOFTM of the 90's. i know that they are two totally different bands but they still have great similarities.

... of the 00's...

=)

ATO
11-28-2002, 09:38 AM
"except, of course, that pink floyd became ludicrously famous after dark side."

And how has Tool not become ludicrously famous? Their songs are on any mainstream radio station multiple times a day. Their videos are known by people who don't even like them. Their albums top the billboard charts when released and go Platinum. They have a hardcore group of followers that would sell their soul/left nut/whatever just to hang out with them for ten minutes. They have an enormous softcore group of followers who are still far more devoted than an average artists fans. And they can tour nearly anywhere in the country and sell out that city's largest venue. They are about as famous as artists of their genre can get.

kRizz
11-29-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by rickiep00h

Which is nice, because it took them a lot fewer albums to get there than Floyd did.

Maybe so, but I think that even if Lateralus is their Dark Side they still have a long way to go to reach the level Pink Floyd have reached on pre-Dark Side albums, for example Atom Heart Mother or Echoes, especially the two title songs, or maybe suites to be exact. Tool is still to create a 20+ minute suite (a real one, not D-R-T like, because these are merely three songs with a concept). I hope they'll go in that direction on some of their next albums.

great deceiver
12-03-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by kRizz

Maybe so, but I think that even if Lateralus is their Dark Side they still have a long way to go to reach the level Pink Floyd have reached on pre-Dark Side albums, for example Atom Heart Mother or Echoes, especially the two title songs, or maybe suites to be exact. Tool is still to create a 20+ minute suite (a real one, not D-R-T like, because these are merely three songs with a concept). I hope they'll go in that direction on some of their next albums.

i totally, completely agree. that is if you meant 'meddle' rather than echoes. i dont understand why everyone goes apeshit over post dark side of the moon stuff, when i think the real brilliance was in their stuff before that. piper, a saucerful of secrets, atom heart mother, meddle. those are fucking amazing albums.

if tool did a few 20 minute suites, i do believe i would just demateralize in a state of aural bliss, and experience god.

RNS
12-04-2002, 02:25 AM
thats all well and good, but they still need to Rock too!
What i really like about Lateralus is that the more subtle parts and quieter bits make the big epic heavy bits sound 10 times better. Pink Floyd are great and all the rest of it , but they did some truly awful shit too, remember that...

stagger lee
12-05-2002, 02:21 AM
this is a good point, and tool seem to do it without any of the clunky concept album difficulties and repetitions.

Dhalz
12-13-2002, 03:41 AM
The reason that tool are not ludicrously famous is because artistic credibility counts for very little with the music press. over here in britain all you have to do is put on scruffy clothes grow your hair and play two chord pop songs and The NME will give you a cover slot. Pink floyd are one of my favourite bands and now tool are becoming similar. so do not worry that tool are not famous lateralus's album sales show theyre greatness.
Also i would Prefer all the little nu-punks and nu-metallers not to know of tool as they are hundreds of times more sophisticated. heres a tip for Guiarists drop down to D put on distortion an thrash out some Barre chords with the top Three strings there you have it the best Linkin park ever.

StoneRose
12-19-2002, 02:44 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with Dhalz. We should have a drink some time. But I feel that you Tool fans need direction. The Stone Roses are without doubt the greatest band ever. Just ahead of Radiohead. John Squire is the best guitarist ever! I mean, Lateralus? Blown out of the water by the Roses eponymous 1989 debut album, and its grossly underrated 1995 follow up, Second Coming. Justin who? Mani is a bass god. Reni could drum better than Danny Carey with no hands. And it's blatantly obvious that MJK has neither the arrogance or ability of the genius that is Ian Brown. You know something, if you don't like my opinions, then you can go fuck yourself. Tool are a disgrace. Thinkers? You people are morons!

the reverend
12-19-2002, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by StoneRose
I wholeheartedly agree with Dhalz. We should have a drink some time. But I feel that you Tool fans need direction. The Stone Roses are without doubt the greatest band ever. Just ahead of Radiohead. John Squire is the best guitarist ever! I mean, Lateralus? Blown out of the water by the Roses eponymous 1989 debut album, and its grossly underrated 1995 follow up, Second Coming. Justin who? Mani is a bass god. Reni could drum better than Danny Carey with no hands. And it's blatantly obvious that MJK has neither the arrogance or ability of the genius that is Ian Brown. You know something, if you don't like my opinions, then you can go fuck yourself. Tool are a disgrace. Thinkers? You people are morons!

You know what?
If you hate Tool so much then why dont you get the fuck off this Tool board and go post on a Stone Roses (whoever the fuck they are) board. I can assure you, despite what you may think, you will not be missed, moron.

rickiep00h
12-19-2002, 09:56 AM
::nods:: I agree.

And, getting back to the point...

I think Floyd's first two albums weren't really a good approximation of where they ended up, stylistically. Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, and Meddle certainly paved the way for what MOST people consider "the Pink Floyd Sound". I think they underwent quite a growth spurt, as I believe Tool are doing right now.

I also agree that Floyd had some really big clunkers, most notably "the Gnome", which I HATE, and Seamus, which was funny the first time I heard it, but I don't like skipping it to get to Echoes anymore.

I agree that a Tool suite would be something to behold, as Echoes and Shine On... were. I'm sure they have it in them, and I think the Salival versions of Third Eye and Pushit come pretty close to suite-like. I guess we'll just have to see... because I know that Lateralus felt like somewhere around 15 minutes when I saw it... and I'd consider that one a suite, too, I guess.

Cryptoanarchist
12-23-2002, 11:20 PM
Im a bit too young to listen to ping floyd but a can say that it is probably better if tool doesnt become superfamous. I hate those mindless pop bands and rappers with heaps of followers there just trying to be cool. At least this way if someone says that they like tool you know there telling the truth.-no tagalongs