PDA

View Full Version : oedipus?

parsad13
10-04-2006, 11:56 PM
not the actualy play of oedipus the king of thebes, because he has children with his mother..but maybe freud's oedipus complex, seeing as how close maynard believes he was to his mother.

keep in mind too that when he saw his mother dead, oedipus took the pins of her dress and "jammed" them into his eyes and it was only then that he "saw" the truth.

I really love all the interpretations that everyone gets out of these songs. it's amazing how much thought goes into these songs...

whooz
10-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I always think of Oedipus Rex at the "Dim my eyes" part, too, but it doesn't really seem to fit the rest of the song.

parsad13
10-13-2006, 01:11 AM
I also think about it during Vicarious at the "father shot by his own son part too, since that is involved in the oedipus story as well. oedipus is one of the most well-known tragic heros. if i heard the story of jesus for the first time now i would think of a tragic hero as well. they all have their tragic flaws.

DON IOTAE
11-30-2006, 07:35 AM
holy shit, these little sparse connections to Jambi and Vic are small, sparse, but powerful and representative... the whole oedipus deal is definitely there...

parsad13
11-30-2006, 06:06 PM
holy shit, these little sparse connections to Jambi and Vic are small, sparse, but powerful and representative... the whole oedipus deal is definitely there...

yes and not only oedipus but tragedy in general. the storyline of the album isn't just an oedipus complex, but a tragedy in general. everything about 10KD points in that direction. even the story of jesus is the story of a tragic hero when you think about it.

DON IOTAE
12-01-2006, 05:19 AM
yes. tragic is a more general trait.

also redemption.

Humbled
12-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Sometimes, not all the time.. when i listen to the album from start to finish, i get an overwhelming feeling of impending tragedy. I dunno.. maybe I'm paranoid.

I will try to keep these brief:

Vicarious shows vivid parallels between American culture and the Roman Empire. When I listen to the song, I see how people indulge on pain and hate on television, much like Romans did in the stands of the Coliseum. It paints that visualization in my mind. Without going to deep, it simply reminds me of our culture of overindulgence. And just as the Romans did, we think we are above a fall.

10000 Days is the celebration/grieving of the passing of a devine spirit. A spirit that MJK would say lit the world. Although, not completely a tragedy, (for Judith was released), a great soul was lost to the world.

Rosetta Stoned is about a failed prophet. When words of higher beings spoke to him, he shit the bed.

Right in Two: How unfortunate that even with free will and reason fools of men still choose to wield the blade... creating their own tragedy

DrJones
12-10-2006, 08:50 PM
It's been a while since I read Oedipus, but didn't a prophet tell him that he would end up with his mother? Just had the thought of what might happen if he forgot "the details of [his] ending?" Maybe if he forgot is ending he would never have seen his mother again. I don't want to make too much of a stretch but it is interesting this whole Oedipus Complex thing with this song and RS (perhaps this post is in the wrong thread, but o well!). Jambi seems to be what would happen if he connects with his mother in the end while RS is what would happen if he forgot/didn't connect with her. Wings/10,000 Days is maybe a plea to "whoever" that he would connect with her? I don't know, its kinda late and finals week so...yeah...

DON IOTAE
12-11-2006, 07:00 AM
i say there IS a relationship. but im too lazy and busy to analise it right now...

12-17-2006, 06:42 PM
I was just about to make a thread about this, but I guess you guys covered what I had to say. However, from my interpretation, both Oedipus and his parents knew what was going to happen (from the Oracle) but they didn't manage to do anything about it. You could say they "shit the bed"... This brings up the theme of fate. They couldn't change what was prophesized and bound to happen, even trying was futile since fate decided.

I've also thought of the U.S. (or even just the western world) as the new Roman Empire. Maybe we're all like Oedipus and his parents, incapable of altering our dark future.