PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please help me out?

duncang
10-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Could anyone please figure out all the time signature changes (what from and what to), with times/sections if possible?

Thanks.

EDIT: I know when there are changes, but I'm not much good at recognising unusual time signatures, especially not overlapped ones like on this song.

scorectum
10-04-2006, 05:22 PM
intro is in 9/8 until danny's kick, which is in 4 (including the weird drums he pats)..

danny's goes nuts on "if I..i would.." while adam keeps playing that 9 riff, and Justin plays in 12/8, i think..

the rest of the song is in 9/8 until "if i could i'd wish it all away, if i thought tomorrow.."

afterwards is the meshuggah inspired buildup to the chug section that drives me nuts to sit and count..

the chug section with the solo is basically in 6/8 and isn't really hard to keep up with..

the whole "shine on" section is in 9/8 and everything after is in 9/8 but double time..

except for the final measure as maynard screams "WRRROOYYYYY", which is just in 12 again..

i'm not an expert but i think that's how it goes, simplified.. so take it easy geniuses..

Metlamaniac
10-10-2006, 02:35 PM
yeh, that meshuggah bit before the real HEAVY 4/4 bit is interesting.

I work it out as these tom hits (some of you may get this. Im counting the tom accents)

3 3 3 5 3 3 5 5 3 5 5 / repeat again but on a lower tom

base metal
10-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Hell, I know a thing or two about music, trust me, but, I am always so busy admiring these jams I don't get around to breaking it all down anymore.

one_reflection
10-20-2006, 07:15 AM
Did anyone want to go that one step further and help out with what they actually translate to? Im not completely oblivious, but interested and not quite sure what to make of it.

I dont think i should have made this post =p

iAMtheMA!
10-20-2006, 07:25 AM
remember, it's shapes against shapes when it comes to carey and this band. the guitar may count out 14 eigth notes where, during the same duration, danny's counting 17 (or something like that). good stuff.

"that meshuggah bit" ... can i hate someone i don't even know?

benjamin
10-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Could anyone please figure out all the time signature changes (what from and what to), with times/sections if possible?

Thanks.

EDIT: I know when there are changes, but I'm not much good at recognising unusual time signatures, especially not overlapped ones like on this song.

A good friend once told me, several times as, I never quite caught on, that as long and complex as it may seem, it's still just a 4/4 time...

"I know all of about 3 bands that really use an 'off time', Meshuga being one..." says Mike P.

Jambi;guitar:
intro;1----2345----6781----2345----678...16/16 each character is a beat, each # is a down-stroke. The rif repeats every 16 beats, it seems "long and complex", but it's set to a metronome...the whole song is still just 4/4.

In contrast...
Meshuga;D.E.I.:guitar:
intro;1--2---3--4--1---2--3--4--- 19/???...from Dilinger E. to Demo Hammer to Coinmonster to Tool, none of 'ems like Meshuga...I heard that if you set a metronome at some ungodly fast speed it will "keep time" w/ Shugas shit but wtfe...

Peace.

Huka
10-20-2006, 09:30 PM
I'm pretty sure most of the song is in 9/8. Even the bass drum durring the verse. They are played on beats 1, 4 , and 7. Keep counting all the way through it. About when Justin comes in, he is playing dotted quarter notes, which get 3 8th notes, and sense the time signautrure is in 9/8, there are 3 in each measure (the root notes are the dotted ones, he lets them ring and plays 5ths and 7ths above them in various varioutions). Then the 2nd verse, is still in 9/8. Justin is playing a dotted 8th note to a 16th then an regular 8th note to a group of 32nd an 16th note (i'll spare you the bordom and continue) progression. Then at the time of the talk bod solo, it is either in 6/4 or 12/8 (essentially the same thing), i'm guessing 12/8, because when you do time changes its more popular to change how many beats in the measure, as opposed to what gets the beats. The "shine on" part, COULD be in 18/8, but i doubt it, the phrase is probly in two measures, with conected notes. The last measure COULD BE in 12/8, but they probly played a regular 9/8 measure, then the 1st 3 beats of another.

I'm pretty sure i'm right on this one (for once) I SHOULD be good at it, it IS what i'm going to college for...

iAMtheMA!
10-20-2006, 11:36 PM
i want to answer with "gear ratios".

am i wrong?

Syrus
10-21-2006, 12:21 AM
I'm pretty sure most of the song is in 9/8. Even the bass drum durring the verse. They are played on beats 1, 4 , and 7. Keep counting all the way through it. About when Justin comes in, he is playing dotted quarter notes, which get 3 8th notes, and sense the time signautrure is in 9/8, there are 3 in each measure (the root notes are the dotted ones, he lets them ring and plays 5ths and 7ths above them in various varioutions). Then the 2nd verse, is still in 9/8. Justin is playing a dotted 8th note to a 16th then an regular 8th note to a group of 32nd an 16th note (i'll spare you the bordom and continue) progression. Then at the time of the talk bod solo, it is either in 6/4 or 12/8 (essentially the same thing), i'm guessing 12/8, because when you do time changes its more popular to change how many beats in the measure, as opposed
to what gets the beats. The "shine on" part, COULD be in 18/8, but i doubt it, the phrase is probly in two measures, with conected notes. The last measure COULD BE in 12/8, but they probly played a regular 9/8 measure, then the 1st 3 beats of another.

I'm pretty sure i'm right on this one (for once) I SHOULD be good at it, it IS what i'm going to college for...

^
This is correct.

This song is definitely not "just in 4/4" as some have suggested. It could also be thought of as 4.5/4, that's why you can't bob your head to it. There are some weird changes with different instruments playing around, but the overall common theme is in 9/8.

Tip for those not hearing it: When you hear the steady bass drum come in during the first verse at (0:19), just count out loud to it on the ones.

(1) 2 3, (1) 2 3, (1) 2 3

The guitar melody and vocals repeat after 3 of these, and 3x3=9, so...

Voila, 9/8

This is how I realized it, and I think that this is the easiest way to "hear" it for those having trouble.

-Syrus

P.S.

(For those looking to delve deeper, here's the interesting drum part, at (0:44) the rythym changes. It's still in 9/8, but here's the difference:

(0:19) - (0:44) is played in groups of 3 on the drums, ie:

BUT.....(0:44) + is played in a different grouping, however, it's still 9/8:

As you can see, both measures still add up to 9 each bar.

This is what makes Jambi so interesting. Even though it's easy to say yeah, it's in 9, it's actually in all different types of 9.

Huka
12-12-2006, 07:18 PM
well, acording to a degree in music, there is only one 'type' of 9.

otherwise you are completly correct in your conclusion.

Syrus
12-14-2006, 09:06 AM
Huka,

Yeah, I don't have a degree in music or anything (completely self-taught), but I thought that I would try to expand on your explanation in simpler terms for those people that just couldn't hear it.

If there are no different "types" of 9, then what is the correct way to describe them? Different groupings of beats of 2 or 3 or 4? Different phrasings? Etc?

Syrus