PDA

View Full Version : voices

soulCRUSHer
05-23-2003, 08:29 PM
okay, here we go. first time doin this for me so give me a break.

The voices that you hear on some of those songs, yeah, they more than likely have no meaning. It seems to me he is simply using his voice as a filler; another instrument. I mean, if you take the whispers and low chants and moans from the song, it would take away from it right? So, it is my belief that the "voices" are simply being used as another instrument. They are giving more life and vibrance to the song.Otherwise, it wouldn't be TOOL.

benson
05-24-2003, 01:40 AM
i disagree...i'll say that they hold some meaning and/or significance to the song (like in Hooker with a Penis, 'be fruitful and multiply' is a line from Bill Hicks).
but we don't really know what most of the whispers are on the album, so anyone's guess is as good as another's =)

soulCRUSHer
05-28-2003, 06:14 PM
I know the voices have a meaning, as i definiton, but i do not believe that they are (negatively) SUGGESTIVE in anyway. i think they are more or less just as meaningful as the bass and guitar are in the writing of the music ion that it being used like an instrument. which is where icame up with the whispers as like a filler, almost like some bands use techno sounds for it.

Aureolei
06-22-2003, 10:28 AM
moaning to a particle collider

Kholdfire
06-28-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by benson
(like in Hooker with a Penis, 'be fruitful and multiply' is a line from Bill Hicks).

Isn't that from the christian bible..?

(btw, I'm an athiest, never read the bible, but I recall seeing it in the F.A.Q.)

Aureolei
07-01-2003, 03:38 PM
Yeah it's in the Bible. There's this one guy called God. He said it.

spiraleyes
07-12-2003, 07:25 PM
of course there is a meaning to the whispering, look at it this way tool lyrics are complicated and always have more meaning than you think so the whispering is a deeper form of the complication

AllforUnity
10-11-2003, 01:18 AM
Just listen to some of the whispering in other songs...46 & 2...Eulogy...Part of Me...all of it plays a type of meaning...but we can barely make out what he says to begin with!

J_U_D_I_T_H
10-11-2003, 11:01 AM
To me, this interlude fills my min with the emotions and images of emptiness at a height, floating above surrounded by nothing, standing on a ;edge high up with nothing surrounding and this feeling gradually passes into the intro of 3rd eye although it is slowly lost as the song progresses. Is this similar witha nyone else?

AllforUnity
10-11-2003, 01:39 PM
l can see the progression, and the ending when the song is played...

Ian
10-12-2003, 07:30 AM
Its almost like the clapping in that one Mellencamp song, without it, it just doesn't feel right, y'know?

AllforUnity
10-12-2003, 11:17 AM
Well...l don't know about that...and l don't know which song you're referring to either. l just know that no matter what the whipering is it probably plays a meaning to the song...we just have to figure out everything he's saying first.