PDA

View Full Version : Happy 10th birthday, Ænima

Pala Cósmico
10-01-2006, 10:12 AM
From The Daily Grail (http://www.dailygrail.com/node/3697), "It's ten years since the release of perhaps the greatest rock album of all time, Ænima by TOOL. Put it on, play it very loud, and marvel to the musical genius that could only have come about through pacts made with Lucifer himself down at the crossroads at midnight. If you don't have it, rush out and buy it now. Alternatively, you could learn to swim."

Big Fat Matt
10-01-2006, 11:41 AM
im gonna have a party.

and blare Ænima.

cosplusisin
10-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Happy Birthday. It might not be today, because I'm really busy, but sometime this week I'm going to take a nice walk with my discman and Aenima. Can't wait. Fall. Aenima. It was 10 years ago today I first heard all those songs... wow. Well, I heard stinkfist about a month earlier, since it was the single, but other than that... Yeah. Musically, it changed my life. OK. Happy Birthday, Aenima! I'll listen to you today while I work, and the walk will be sometime this week.

And for the record, I'm going to take my 6-year old Kid A for a walk soon too (its birthday is on Oct 3).

hushypushy
10-03-2006, 02:45 PM
damn right. One of the greatest albums ever made, it still kicks ass...

maybe after 10 years people will learn to type Æ, it's alt 0198, go ahead and try it :)

Hortcore
10-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Have to agree with you all, this is by far the best TOOL album (not that the others aren't works of greatness, either). I have thought more than once this year about the fact that this album came out a bloody decade ago! I was a freshman in college, bugging the crap out of the local record store guy for this album and every promotional poster they had in their store (he was kind enough to grant my request a couple weeks after the release). I remember driving back to my dorm and playing this CD all afternoon, over and over, as loud as possible as a stretched out on my bed. A memory I'll never forget.

Hell, it was 5 years ago this past May (I think the 15th?) that Lateralus was released. I was driving from New London, CT to Hartford to get on a plane to return to DC. The second I saw a mall, I pulled the rental car over and ran in, bought the CD. Not having a CD player in the car or a personal CD player, I had to wait till I got to my car at the airport. Agonizing, but well worth it.

Back to Ænima, it still gets the most spins in my cd players to this day. I may grow old, but Ænima never does.

Stiff13y3
10-03-2006, 10:35 PM
i wonder (out loud, mind you) if they'll release like a 5.1 re mastered version or something like that. i know most probably do it just to milk a few extra bucks out of their release but i'd love to hear Ænima (whaddya know, alt 0198 works indeed ;) ) in surround sound. and yes, i agree, it was and still is an album of high regard. maybe high regard isnt high enough but i know how much i like it and thats what makes me smile.

hushypushy
10-03-2006, 11:41 PM
I'm not usually a fan of remasterings but i'd love to see something done with Ænima in the same vein as The Downward Spiral. For its 10th anniversary, it got the album remastered (in stereo, SACD stereo, SACD 5.1, DVDA 5.1) and a bonus disc of remixes, b-sides, demos, and non-album tracks. Of course, Reznor is one to do such a thing, whereas Tool most decidedly isn't. I'm fairly certain that Tool's music will never ever go remastered, and we'll never see (hear?) the 96k/24bit 10,000 Days master (or vinyl)....maybe 20 years down the road we'll get a special box set like Pink Floyd's Shine On? I love making comparisons to other bands even though it's completely irrelevant...

cosplusisin
10-04-2006, 01:12 AM
oooh, i just figured it out on my laptop... alt+fn+mj98 is how to do alt 0198 for a normal keyboard...

once again, then..... HAPPY BIRTHDAY ÆNIMA!!!!

(I guess copy and paste would have been pretty easy too)

TJP
10-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Heres to the most amazing album i've ever heard. CHEERS!

martyrinexile86
10-04-2006, 02:21 PM
damn right. One of the greatest albums ever made, it still kicks ass...

maybe after 10 years people will learn to type Æ, it's alt 0198, go ahead and try it :)

Just tried to do it that way, didn't work. The only way that seems to work is Ctrl, Alt. and the "and" symbol. Is there a shorter way of making the symbol that you know of?

Phorty
10-04-2006, 02:39 PM
happy belated birthday Ænima , as a present , ill buy blair some floaties , god knows he cant float or swim.

jonboy
10-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Happy birthday to my musical awakening. Camping by a river pool in bush with a portable stereo for my 16th birthday, a friend pulls out this crazy CD with a trippy cover that he just bought and plays a track called Intermission followed by Jimmy.

hushypushy
10-05-2006, 12:14 AM
Just tried to do it that way, didn't work. The only way that seems to work is Ctrl, Alt. and the "and" symbol. Is there a shorter way of making the symbol that you know of?

then you're probably using a mac? i dunno. alt 0198 works for me (hold down alt and press 0198 on the numberpad) and it works for others.

mr. nikki jensen
01-13-2007, 12:08 PM
selling over 3 million copies! nice.

tomisatool
01-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Ænima-one of Tool's best releases...

and still millions cannot pronounce it.

Bogart
01-15-2007, 09:38 AM
A timeless album indeed

Pala Cósmico
01-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Haha. 3 months, 16 posts and still going strong.

Arkham Asylum
02-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Best. Fucking. Album. Ever. By. Anyone. Ever.

Okay, the punctuation was unnecessary, but I don't know how to say it any other way.

ktdude
02-08-2007, 03:51 AM
haha, who knew. I feel old. even older now that I've realised this thread was started in October.

jonboy
02-08-2007, 01:36 PM
A timeless album indeed

Kinda like this thread.

PShepherd11
02-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Damn, that really does make you feel old...never thought I'd be listening to a band for over 10 years. Loved it when it came out and love it even more now.

martyrinexile86
02-10-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm just surprised that Ænima still sounds fresh despite it's age. Seems that after that long it would become a little dated, but it's held up smashingly. Still don't believe it gets the recognition it deserves (not including us Tool fans of course) by the general media/music scene. It really is one of the best albums of that decade.