PDA

View Full Version : Monkey Metaphor

NormalD
10-01-2006, 01:13 AM
I was watching a documentary about chimpanzees and I realized that this metaphor is perfect for this song (that is if it is comparing us with monkeys). According to the documentary, monkeys are much more aggressive than humans. One scientist observed a group of monkeys gang up on another one with the intention of killing it. The scientist was "puzzled and confused" as to why they did this. His theory as to why they are so aggressive is that monkeys can't communicate as well as humans can. Which is really cool considering how Schism goes into alot detail about how 2 relationships can be seperated "right in two" unless they communicate. I kinda wonder if Tool is trying to make any point about communication as well. Just a thought. I'm not sure whether Tool really intended this metaphor to be elaborated like this, but I think it's interesting.

spacemonkeyadb
10-01-2006, 04:53 AM
According to the documentary, monkeys are much more aggressive than humans.
As a monkey myself, I take great offence at this suggestion. Us monkeys ain't got shit on humans when it comes to aggression and hate. Do we have Chimpanzee Supremacists? When did we last launch a large-scale war over abstract religious beliefs or a desire to wipe out all Orangutans?

One scientist observed a group of monkeys gang up on another one with the intention of killing it.
Holy shit! You're right! That could NEVER happen among humans!!?!!

His theory as to why they are so aggressive is that monkeys can't communicate as well as humans can.
My theory is that our weaker communication skills are what make us LESS aggressive than humans.

Nova
10-01-2006, 05:45 AM
so your suggesting that MJK wrote a song about the behaivors of chimpanzees??

gtfo

spacemonkeyadb
10-01-2006, 06:49 AM
^ WTF? Neither I nor the original poster made any such suggestion. The OP suggested that calling humans monkeys was a good metaphor because monkeys are violent. I disagreed saying that humans are far more violent then monkeys.

And I don't think you should be telling people to gtfo until you have more than 10 posts LOL. You musta been high.

Nova_
10-01-2006, 11:10 AM
this is my 2nd screename on here. i had over 200 posts on my first one.

so he can gtfo.

NormalD
10-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Well I tried to make it clear that I wasn't sure if the metaphor was meant to mean anything I said. Honestly I don't think it was. My point was only that it was interesting.

As for you agrument about Chimps being more aggressive than humans, this is the only source I've ever heard about chimps being more aggressive. Everything else I've read has said that humans and primates both have similar aggressive behaviors.

Mr. Electric Ocean
10-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Q: Is this even a good thread.

A: No. It is not.

Explanation: Isn't it obvious? Monkeys symbolize humans in the song because we are fighting over stupid things that can easily be shared and the song acts as a question. Why are we being so stupid with the free will granted to us that we advance in technology and other aspects just to have bigger guns and act the same as we did when we were evolved from primates? As a society our collective intuition is the same. We are still territorial and greedy. Shouldn't we have grown out of that when we figured out how to create the light bulb or wear glasses? We grow but our minds don't so communication and fundamental learning/change is slowing our progress until we destroy each other because no one can figure out that the only way to truly prosper is uniting and commmunicating for common goals and in turn sharing for the greater good. But as of now we are just as greedy as can be and might as well all be monkeys throwing shit at each other. The outside has grown... but our brain is slowing.

8moremucscles
10-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Q: Is this even a good thread.

A: No. It is not.

Explanation: Isn't it obvious? Monkeys symbolize humans in the song because we are fighting over stupid things that can easily be shared and the song acts as a question. Why are we being so stupid with the free will granted to us that we advance in technology and other aspects just to have bigger guns and act the same as we did when we were evolved from primates? As a society our collective intuition is the same. We are still territorial and greedy. Shouldn't we have grown out of that when we figured out how to create the light bulb or wear glasses? We grow but our minds don't so communication and fundamental learning/change is slowing our progress until we destroy each other because no one can figure out that the only way to truly prosper is uniting and commmunicating for common goals and in turn sharing for the greater good. But as of now we are just as greedy as can be and might as well all be monkeys throwing shit at each other. The outside has grown... but our brain is slowing.

Excellent explanation! Its so simple to see what he is talking about. This line says it all: "Silly monkeys give them thumbs, they forge a blade/club" In this song he's using monkeys, not only as a metaphor, but he's also hinting at evolution and man's fall from the garden of eden.

Nova_
10-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Excellent explanation! Its so simple to see what he is talking about. This line says it all: "Silly monkeys give them thumbs, they forge a blade/club" In this song he's using monkeys, not only as a metaphor, but he's also hinting at evolution and man's fall from the garden of eden.

wow, that was like a revalation for this kid. the first time i heard the song it was obvious monkey was a metaphor for humans. and obviously fighting over pieces of the ground is like war (mainly in the middle east). this is common sense people. probably one of the easiest Tool songs to understand.

8moremucscles
10-02-2006, 12:21 PM
wow, that was like a revalation for this kid. the first time i heard the song it was obvious monkey was a metaphor fopr humans. and obviously fighting over pieces of the ground is like war (mainly in the middle east). this is common sense people. probably one of the easiest Tool songs to understand.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was just glad after reading the entire thread to finally see that someone got it, and I agreed with them.

eternalnuisance.com
10-02-2006, 07:49 PM
I think it was just a reference to us being sapiens. I mean, shit, some people even look ape-ish. If you don't believe me, go to a flea market, you'll see what I mean.

8moremucscles
10-03-2006, 07:03 AM
I think it was just a reference to us being sapiens. I mean, shit, some people even look ape-ish. If you don't believe me, go to a flea market, you'll see what I mean.

LOL...I don't mean to laugh but its scary how true it is. If you look around these days, humans as a whole are much more beautiful than they were before, and on the other hand it seems as though there are a large number of humans that seem to be de-evolving. They seem to be regressing to our "ape-ish" pre-homosapien form.