PDA

View Full Version : Tech song

bottom_feeder99
11-26-2002, 10:35 AM
I would like to hear your opinions on the technical aspects of this song... I belive it along with a few more off this CD are the most technically advanced songs the boys have ever written. I mean 4 different time signatures in this song, thats unbelivable...
Thanks for reading

drummer
11-27-2002, 03:49 PM
these are time signatures used in the song. I believe 987 has something to do with the mathematical formula of a spiral. Very interesting

the_drummar
11-27-2002, 05:20 PM
987 has nothing to do with a spiral, it's the time signatures
9/8 8/8 7/7, try counting like that. there is also aspects of 5/4 3/4 6/8 in it and sometimes more then 0ne time signature at once, it's pretty fucked up I must say.

mne pohuy
11-27-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by the_drummar
987 has nothing to do with a spiral, it's the time signatures
9/8 8/8 7/7, try counting like that. there is also aspects of 5/4 3/4 6/8 in it and sometimes more then 0ne time signature at once, it's pretty fucked up I must say.

actually it's 9/8, 8/8, 7/8*. and then it's in 5/8 (the tom part, the high hat beat at the end of the groove shows it plain and clear). And if you read what the guy above you posted, he/she said those were the time signatures (the 9, 8, 7)

moonrevel
12-02-2002, 11:00 AM
Alas, this is one of those beautiful songs that allow attendees of Tool concerts to point out others who have musical training or were ever in marching band. It's hard to bob up and down to the music if you're out of touch with the time signature. I agree that this is an incredibly advanced song in the technical sense. It's difficult to sort of stumble across a way to combine those signatures and still have a song sound coherent. I'm glad I'm not the only one listening for these things in Tool.

EmbraceTdOxOmL
12-04-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by the_drummar
987 has nothing to do with a spiral

I suggest you go read the discussion going on in the thread "Fibonacci sequence in lateralus booklet". Its in this forum and may change your mind about the time signatures and spirals. read the entire discussion before drawing your conclusion.