PDA

View Full Version : It's a cat, here's proof.

Wolf
05-22-2003, 08:43 PM
I read that Maynard squeezed his cat and it made this sound, he just played it really slow. If you get a mic and record it into your computer, then up the speed %200, it sound sexactly like a cat. See for yourself.

Nirvana
05-23-2003, 01:10 AM
interesting, i wish i could do that, but i dont have a mic... that sucks deeply... so, does anyone else can try it out...!

DisgracedEffigy
05-23-2003, 08:01 AM
You don't need a mic. Get a CD ripper from download.com. That will do the same. You can change the speed in any decent program, I would use my trusty fruity loops, but I could care less about this cat thing.

Jimmy Pop
05-30-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Wolf
I read that Maynard squeezed his cat and it made this sound, he just played it really slow. If you get a mic and record it into your computer, then up the speed %200, it sound sexactly like a cat. See for yourself.
Well... I did that once, but I can't say I thought it sounded like a cat.

I think it's just maynard BSing a little bit.

I think that about Eon Blue being Adam's dog to.

That's just me. I think Tool has a great sense of humor sometimes.... :D BSing around....

Pro_Art
05-30-2003, 06:20 AM
I thought Adam used an epilady for Mantra.

I'll speed it up when I get time. I'm curious.

Peace,
Pro Art (Protocol Artisan)

Jimmy Pop
05-30-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Pro_Art
I'll speed it up when I get time. I'm curious.

I've done it for you.

http://toolshed.down.net/opinion/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6610

Wolf
06-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Even without making the speed modifications, you can still easily tell that it is a cat. Listen closely, and you can hear very slow, but clear animal noises, maybe a growl or meow, or something else. You can also tell because it repeats itself about 7 times.

Clint
06-16-2003, 09:38 AM
i see everyones point but does anyone see why you would squeeze a cat :-D

Tantobourne
06-16-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by mstajduh
perhaps it's something else that sounds like a cat after some modifications?

oh, dude, absoultely not. It's a fricking cat for crissake!

*slinks out with a grin*

soberwithapenis
06-27-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Clint
i see everyones point but does anyone see why you would squeeze a cat :-D

Why would you not squeeze a cat? For whatever inspiration was present to make Maynard squeeze a cat for mantra, its what they did. End of story. I think im going to go squeeze my cat right now.

Just read the quote on the Opinion Homepage.

bohanman
07-14-2003, 04:51 PM
i thought it was the exact opposite, i thought maynard said he squeezed his cat yadda yadda, recorded it, then SLOWED it down, not sped it up, maybe my reading mistake but i swear it said he slowed it down. Really I dont care what it is, it sounds cool.

debaser
07-20-2003, 12:24 AM
I would never squeeze my cat, it would hurt her!

jpmanson
07-20-2003, 12:45 AM
personally, i like cats.. i would never squeeze a cat for soud effects..

if i want soud effects, id record a cat that has been trapped in teh manifold of a car thats been sitting around for years.. this kitten is starving to death and also getting severe heat exhuastion from being stuck in hot metal for several days..

i have been trying to get her out for a few days, but it seems that it just wont work.. it really hurts me to hear her meowing..

but she is stuck, and all ive tried to do has failed..

EDIT: damn, i feel bad just thinking about this.. so much for me being a drunken jackass huh?

Tantobourne
07-20-2003, 01:03 AM
You know, ever since I read this thread I've made it a point to squeeze every cat I've seen. Most of them weren't appreciative of it. Some of the owners were a little pissed, too.

I squeeze'em slowly. I squeeze'em really quick. Some of the sounds they make are pretty damned funny.

But in no way do they sound like the noise in Mantra. ; )

jpmanson
07-20-2003, 01:12 AM
You know, ever since I read this thread I've made it a point to squeeze every cat I've seen. Most of them weren't appreciative of it. Some of the owners were a little pissed, too.

I squeeze'em slowly. I squeeze'em really quick. Some of the sounds they make are pretty damned funny.

But in no way do they sound like the noise in Mantra. ; )

if you sqeeze the kitten thats been kickin it in my room for teh last kmonth, i think id have to kill you..

Tantobourne
07-20-2003, 01:18 AM
if you sqeeze the kitten thats been kickin it in my room for teh last kmonth, i think id have to kill you..

don't ask why but me and my buddy used to get a kick out of shoving little kitten heads into our mouths. They came out kind of looking like crono's avatar. The cat that another buddy kept as a pet and fed LSD? Well...he kind of turned out like my avatar.

I like cats. I don't squeez'em or act maliciously towards them.

debaser
07-28-2003, 11:43 AM
Where is the article that Maynard says he squeezed his cat? Can I please have link?

Wolf
07-28-2003, 12:23 PM
I dunno, I think it's somewhere in the articles section, or I think you have to read the whole article on the opinion home page. Oh and by the way, where did you get that wolf icon?

Tantobourne
07-28-2003, 01:15 PM
tell your buddy I had his cat.... the bastard... it died last month... hope he's happy...

dude there was more to that story than I let on.

im_naked_and_fearless
08-02-2003, 09:23 AM
i read in the faq saying that maynard took his two siamese (spelling) cats and rubbed them together and that they made weird noise's and so he went and recoreded them.

moonburn
08-05-2003, 08:46 PM
sounds more like whales made to sound electronic.

b3rn3r
08-22-2003, 05:48 PM
someone I worked with's cat ate a bag of cocaine when it was a kitten (Surprisingly it lived). That cat was fucked in the head. It would attack you if walked within a foot of it. Then it would stare at wall and out of nowhere run into it.

Liquid Ashes
03-09-2004, 04:38 PM
I honestly dont know why it matters what the noise is. Its weird... I dont listen to that song?!?!

AllforUnity
03-09-2004, 11:20 PM
l'm sticking with the girls getting murdered theory.

Luna Galapogos
03-10-2004, 08:07 PM
l'm sticking with the girls getting murdered theory.

I am unaware of this theory. I don't really care what the noise is, but it would be cool if you would be so kind as to reveal the mysteries behind murdered girls being connected to this song.

dude3390
03-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Yeah, it says in the FAQ that it's a cat, but much of the faq is not 100%, since much of it comes from Maynard, who basically, as a rule, says 90% bullshit, 10% truth. Take that "lacrymology" thing, in the faq? Hilarious.

btw, it's pretty funny how so many of you are claiming you don't care what the sound is, and that you don't even listen to the track, and yet, you're bothering to check out threads in the song's section...lol

AllforUnity
03-12-2004, 09:13 AM
I am unaware of this theory. I don't really care what the noise is, but it would be cool if you would be so kind as to reveal the mysteries behind murdered girls being connected to this song.

Well that's because you've never spead up the song and listened to it that way. lt sounds like girls being murdered.

Franklinfunk
03-14-2004, 01:13 PM
I remember reading around the release of Lateralus that Tool had been quoted as saying that a very special guest was to appear on the album. This confused me for ages til I read the FAQ...

Green Jello
03-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Tool fan Yaz ([email protected]) found a 2001 interview with Maynard in the Japanese magazine "Buzz" where MJK stated for the first time in public ("a treat for the Japanese fans," he says) that the track "Mantra" is the sound of him squeezing one of his Siamese cats. The cat made such a weird noise that he immediately recorded this, played it real slow and made a track out of it.

That's from the faq. True or a load of bull? I don't know, but it's funny either way.

AllforUnity
03-25-2004, 06:20 PM
lt's not a cat, it's a massacre...re-record it, and speed it up, you'll see.

BlooReflection696
03-28-2004, 01:11 AM
its a cat wait no, it isint wait no, who gives a damn, damn either way it gives the same outcome, you people have entirely too much time on your hands.