PDA

View Full Version : My visual while listening to this song

Demonseed420
09-30-2006, 06:19 AM
Im not sure about anyone else but when i listen to this song i feel very calm and sad in a way. The visual i get is of a man sitting in a broken down house in a chair in the middle of the room, and he is deep in concentration as if he is waiting for someone to come to him. When the lyrics state watch the weather change I imagine the seasons going by very fast outside his home and vines are groing up the side of the house trapping him in the house as he just sits there waiting for someone or something to mention it to him.

I know it sounds weird but I always see that imagry everytime i hear it. Also when reflection starts I see that he is now trapped in the house with the light trying to reach him but it cant, But now hes staring into a mirror. But the mirror is a distorted reflection of himself the bad part of him he want to destroy. I also feel this way sometimes, although i am a manic depressive and have some very bad thoughts sometimes on what id like to do to myself and have done. This album has changed me along with the other tool albums, I know some will say music cant do that ....but it does, no other bands can do this to me like tool does, and its not just because they are my favorite band either. Its the healing effect it has on you ,the eye opening experience of realizing you are much more than what you are.

Anyways i was thinking of making my own claymation video dispostion/reflection/triad and posting it on youtube. Ive always wanted to so i think i will try I am a artist by nature so maybe other people can see it the way i do then,but as always tool songs always have different meanings to different people but i would like to share the images with you all.

Phorty
09-30-2006, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the post! I look forward to seeing your visual interpretation.

base metal
10-01-2006, 01:04 AM
I don't think that sounds weird, I get pictures in my head too when I listen to music, especially Tool. Everyone will have a story in their mind that they relate to a song and what you describe here makes sense. Lateralus and 10,000 days play like a movie in my opinion, I go through a journey with each listen and it always brings up a lot of feelings and ideas. This stuff is deep and they intend it to be.

HelenA
10-01-2006, 04:40 AM
This is my visual on this song (which I LOVE):

A house in the south of the USA, it is two story and kind of cute (from an Australian perspective). It has gables and a peaked roof and a verandah. There is a wide verandah and a lovely garden. On the verandah is a swinging seat (like in 'Sleeping with the Enemy') and on it are two people. One is swinging the seat (pushing it with their foot) and the other is doing nothing at all, just lolling. Maybe they have glasses of wine. And they are just chatting. Talking about anything at all. Time for each other. Time for random conversation. Time to just sit and rock. Time to BE. Maybe the only time in the whole day. One whole moment to do nothing except watch the weather change and just relax. Sigh. One moment. One time. Perhaps the only time.

Mention this to me. Mention something. Mention anything. And watch the weather change.

Solaris
10-02-2006, 01:28 AM
My visual on this song:

A person walking through a street on a rainy afternoon, when he meets a friend and they begin to talk. They stand there for a while in the rain and talk and when tey decide to walk on together, the rain stops and the sun breaks through the clouds.

I can't understand why there are so many people who say that this song makes them sad. For me, this is one of the most positive Tool songs ever.

HelenA
10-07-2006, 04:04 AM
This is a lovely song - I am very grateful to have heard it.

Terry21
10-07-2006, 04:43 AM
My visual on this song:

A person walking through a street on a rainy afternoon, when he meets a friend and they begin to talk. They stand there for a while in the rain and talk and when tey decide to walk on together, the rain stops and the sun breaks through the clouds.

I can't understand why there are so many people who say that this song makes them sad. For me, this is one of the most positive Tool songs ever.

That's the problem. How is it meant? Is it meant to be hopeful or is it meant to be depressive? Both works.

HelenA
10-07-2006, 03:59 PM
I think that it is meant to be a quiet time of gentle relief after the relentless spiritual journey of Lateralus. I don't find it depressing at all. But I can see that it easily COULD be. That's what is great about Tool's music.

Superfuzz
10-07-2006, 09:56 PM
yeah id be interested in seeing other's interpretations of this song, in video format.

i don;t have a clear picture, but i see somewhat of a starry sky, being looked up at, filled with the milky way galaxy, perhaps from the perspective of sitting/laying in an open field of ome sort in a rural area, with forest nearby.

Beautiful Song. One of my favorites.

HelenA
10-08-2006, 01:32 AM
It is one of those (very rare) songs that make me FEEL better about the world. It creates an actual physical feeling of well-being.

bgparanoid
10-17-2006, 11:33 AM
i just see an dancing naked Female.. hmm good enough for me.

Solaris
10-20-2006, 06:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_71awy0CotI

That's my favorite video of the song. it hasn't got the full length and it doesn't fit my visual but its still awesome.

wix3l
10-20-2006, 07:28 AM
I always picture a desert just after sunset with an orange-purpleish sky.

iAMtheMA!
10-20-2006, 07:34 AM
the most depressing point in this album has got to be "and still be a huuuuumaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan" :'( fuckin' ballin'...

Amazonis
10-21-2006, 09:30 PM
I always imagine a valley surrounded by rice terraces somewhere in Southeast Asia. When Maynard sings 'watch the weather change' the clear sky clouds over and rain begins to fall apon the one lonely man who is standing in the valley.

iAMtheMA!
10-22-2006, 06:24 PM
this is what i see (now), too! ;)
...awesome visual, man. ^

mjkajdcjc
10-23-2006, 04:50 PM
It is one of those (very rare) songs that make me FEEL better about the world. It creates an actual physical feeling of well-being.

Yeah, this and "Lateralus" are mind-blowing!

Watching and mentioning
10-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Just like there are times when you see something, so beautiful, you can't bring words to your mouth, this song won't let any imagery come to my mind. All I can do is listen, and appreciate that I've come across something so wonderful.

HelenA
11-04-2006, 01:11 AM
All I can do is listen, and appreciate that I've come across something so wonderful.

I am just glad that Tool take the time to make music like this.

dirkz
08-01-2007, 07:22 PM
I just imagine sitting on my front porch during a storm, and being totally at peace with everythign around me.

This song calms me down, no matter what.