PDA

View Full Version : Rosetta STONE

TandL
09-29-2006, 10:04 AM
I woke up this morning and on espn classic, i saw a commercial for ROSETTA STONE. It's a computer program that teaches like 28 different languages. This is the first time I saw this, and am wondering if that's where the title for this song came from. Seeing as the first few times someone hears it, you're trying to understand what's actually being said.

Thoughts?

duncang
09-29-2006, 12:20 PM
That program is named after THE Rosetta Stone, an Ancient Egyptian (correct me if I'm wrong from here) artifact which had the same text engraved in three different languages (Heiroglyph, Latin and ???), the first discovered translation in word, I think...

mikeanthony
09-29-2006, 12:30 PM
i think the title came from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_Stone

"If the British want to be remembered, if they want to restore their reputation, they should volunteer to return the stone because it is the icon of our Egyptian identity." The British sent him a replica of the stone"

lol

MetaAsmo
09-30-2006, 04:47 AM
I know this is really going to kill the whole nice / helpful vibe of this thread........but.............you fucking idiot, why would they name a song after an obscure piece of computer software? Why don't you give like 5 seconds thought to what you're asking before you shit some retarded 'discovery' out your mouth?

That's the stupidest post I've ever read.

Phorty
09-30-2006, 05:43 AM
Calm down man . he tried.
I know, I’m guilty of thinking the same thought as soon as i read it , but everyone’s entitled to their own opinions.

Xicked
09-30-2006, 07:34 AM
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
-Plato

grady
10-06-2006, 12:01 PM
I know this is really going to kill the whole nice / helpful vibe of this thread........but.............you fucking idiot, why would they name a song after an obscure piece of computer software? Why don't you give like 5 seconds thought to what you're asking before you shit some retarded 'discovery' out your mouth?

I completely agree. As I was reading it, I felt it coming . I was thinking to myself, "don't say maybe that's what the song is about"

Sure enough.

lagimatt
10-06-2006, 12:23 PM
MMM.... Dead Thread? I think we have come to a concensus that the song is not about a computer program. maybe however the computer program is named after the song };-)

Luosdasa
10-07-2006, 04:04 PM
I woke up this morning and on espn classic, i saw a commercial for ROSETTA STONE. It's a computer program that teaches like 28 different languages. This is the first time I saw this, and am wondering if that's where the title for this song came from. Seeing as the first few times someone hears it, you're trying to understand what's actually being said.

Thoughts?

*expelling every fluid in body due to laughing fit*

hahahhahahahahaha!! aahhhh *sigh*... good one :D

MeThoD
10-18-2006, 07:47 PM
That program is named after THE Rosetta Stone, an Ancient Egyptian (correct me if I'm wrong from here) artifact which had the same text engraved in three different languages (Heiroglyph, Latin and ???), the first discovered translation in word, I think...

Heiroglyphic, greek, and some other egyptian writing. I think.

10-19-2006, 08:47 AM
GOD DAMN, SHIT THE BED!

TandL
10-25-2006, 09:06 PM

I never said that's what the song is about. I really could care less about what the songs mean to anyone beside me. All i was trying to point out is, could he be up in the midlle of night and see an infomercial and just think it was funny? Because lord knows they write everysong so assholes like you can sit around all day find the meaning to every song, and find Jesus.

Mr. Electric Ocean
10-26-2006, 05:37 AM

HAHAHA agreed

iAMtheMA!
10-26-2006, 09:13 AM
this thread shouldn't be "dead" (the premise sucks, but...), this is an amazing project. i can't believe it got a commecial, though... and on espn!

Cooly
10-29-2006, 05:50 PM
Heiroglyphic, greek, and some other egyptian writing. I think.

Heiroglyphic, Greek and Demotic which was a later egyptian dielect.

Also to the poster why the hell would you point out that rosetta stone is a piece of software. It's not like the damn song is about software. Check out some history and realize there actually was a stone found in rosetta egypt that was used to fucking DECYPHER HEIROGLYPHICS.

Enigma112358134711
11-02-2006, 08:11 PM

Thoughts?

I've actually seen the same commercial at around four in the morning. it doesn't mean thats what the song is about but in the song he says "Don’t even know what that means, must remember to write it down" "You believe me don’t you?
Please believe what I just said."
Through out the song he tries to deliver the message given to him but seems he cant because he doesn't really know what was the message.
no one believes because its as if he's speaking a different language.
so yea