PDA

View Full Version : Sober - Staind

ProfoundHaytred
11-26-2002, 10:03 AM
Has anyone heard teh Staind version of sober? i have its not that bad, i thinks it wayyyy better than what Limp Triscuit did to Opiate, those fucks.

hyeboy
11-26-2002, 06:33 PM
Yes. I have the audio and now video footage that I didn't even know existed till recently. I'm not a Staind fan, but I agree a much better attempt then the 5 minutes of noise LB made. Of course, Lewis can semi-sing. That's half the problem with covering Tool. How many lead vocalists out there can sing at all, led alone as good as Maynard. Why he's good enough to be in a boy band! Thank god he choose Tool instead!!!

disposition8
11-26-2002, 10:31 PM
I may be a nut here, but the reason I don't like any tool cover so far is that no band does as well or a better version of the song, or atleast a variation of the song. perhaps stainds lead singer can sing half as good as maynard and so the cover is half way decent.. but the rest of the band doesn't come close to touching tool. beyond the fact that the musical part was dumbed down was that it was only dumbed down and not changed and not "personalized" in any way shape or form. the reason i like tool's cover's of other songs is that even though its a cover, it's undeniably tool doing it their way.

hyeboy
11-26-2002, 10:51 PM
Oh, I would be the last person on Earth to deny that point! I mean, Tool has ruined my for all other music, for God's sakes. All those bands I use to enjoy and think rocked - all garbage to me now. Something has awakened in my after hearing Tool, and it can't be reversed. Tool never leaves my cd player, NEVER. I can't. Believe me I've tried, but every time I pop in someone else's cd, I get about half way into the first song, and then I have to kick it back out of there. It's like test driving a Lamborghini and then being asked to return to your old car. You'd never look at it the same again.

They are litereally the Michael Jordan of music. There may be other players who come along just as athletic, some may jump higher, others may even win more championshios, but they will never come close to the total package that Michael was.

I was merely saying at least Staind made some what of an effort to try and respect the song, not slaughter it like LB. Of course no one will come close to Tool We are talking about, at least in my eyes, the greatest musical group of all time. Who the hell combines these lyrics, intertwined with brilliant philosophy and metaphysics, deeply layered instrumentals, wrapped up in awe inspiring artwork and images? They are the total package and it will never happen again!

Alat
12-07-2002, 11:18 PM
you're so furking right hybouy. I totally agree with you. I'm just like you.

Spartak
12-08-2002, 02:04 AM
Hmm, I'll have to hear this song, although I will have very low expectations of it.