PDA

View Full Version : Official Release Lyrics.

Khadgar346
09-22-2006, 04:10 PM
For those who aren't members of Tool Army... (feel free to delete if this has already been posted) make sticky!

THE POT

who are you to wave your finger? you musta been outta your head.
eye hole deep in muddy waters. You practically raised the dead.
rob the grave to snow the cradle then burn the evidence down.
soap box house of cards and glass so don't go tossin' your stones around.

you musta been high

foot in mouth and head up ass, so watcha talking bout?
difficult to dance round this one till you pull it out. boy

you musta been so high.

steal, borrow, refer, save your shady inference.
kangaroo done hung the jury with the innocent.

now you're weeping shades of cozened indigo. (musta) got lemon juice
up in your eye when you pissed all over my black kettle.

you musta been high.

who are you to wave your finger? so full of it.
eye balls deep in muddy waters. fuckin hypocrite.
liar, lawyer, mirror show me. what's the difference?
kangaroo done hung the guilty with the innocent.

you musta been high.

So who are you to wave your finger?
who are you to wave your fatty fingers at me?
you must have been outta your mind.
Weepin shades of indigo.

liar, lawyer, mirror for ya. what's the difference?
kangaroo be stoned. he's guilty as the government.

you musta been high.

eye balls deep in muddy waters.
you're balls deep in muddy waters.
Ganja, please, you must have been outta your mind.

WORDS BY MAYNARD JAMES KEENAN

hushypushy
09-22-2006, 04:35 PM
fuck yeah!

and these are real, or at least they really were posted to TA.

edit: is it just me or is the lyric at 4:15 missing, between when he says "weeping shades of indigo" twice?

iAMtheMA!
09-22-2006, 07:22 PM
official doesn't mean correct, b...t...w...

these look good, tho

hey, GOOD JOB MAYNARD!

swedishpizza
09-22-2006, 09:02 PM
'you're balls.'

You are balls.

jonboy
09-22-2006, 09:18 PM
cozened???

edit:
v. coz·ened, coz·en·ing, coz·ens

1. To mislead by means of a petty trick or fraud; deceive.
2. To persuade or induce to do something by cajoling or wheedling.
3. To obtain by deceit or persuasion.

To act deceitfully.

Chronicle0
09-22-2006, 09:24 PM
aw, i thought he said "Conjure up Lies", but you all were right, he says Ganja :/

mjr
09-22-2006, 11:08 PM
who are you to wave your finger? you musta been outta your head.

he doesnt say head he says hair wtf

iAMtheMA!
09-22-2006, 11:26 PM
mjr, haha. no.

anyways, are they saying that we have the characteristics of the indigo children?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_children

i always felt i rebelled to make a world a better place, more efficient and less bullshit ...not just to rebel.

fuck, they almost had me take medicine to calm that shit...

hushypushy
09-23-2006, 12:32 AM
mjr, haha. no.

anyways, are they saying that we have the characteristics of the indigo children?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_children

i always felt i rebelled to make a world a better place, more efficient and less bullshit ...not just to rebel.

fuck, they almost had me take medicine to calm that shit...

holy crap, MJK has been playing Indigo Prophecy!! that game kicks so much ass.

Terry21
09-23-2006, 02:26 AM
:(

I expected something like "guillaume boasts deep in Martin Walters!" or Gunshot paralyzed! or "fucking fingers".

I wait until they're confirmed.

duncang
09-23-2006, 03:08 AM
Some of this doesn't sound right.

Terry21
09-23-2006, 03:58 AM
Some of this doesn't sound right.

Agreed.

iAMtheMA!
09-23-2006, 04:39 AM
it's making more and more sense to the whole grand scheme of what tool's been doing every time someone makes a relative post that digs a little deeper.

tiryth
09-23-2006, 05:14 AM
wahay - the ONLY word i got wrong was cozened then ! hehe and i was one of the

"ganja puhleeeeeease" people too

yay my life is complete hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Terry21
09-23-2006, 05:56 AM
Can anybody copy the whole text of the poster on Toolarmy or tell me the way it was posted? Was there just a news entry "offical Pot lyrics"?

duncang
09-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Isn't it interesting how the first two songs they release official lyrics for are both in some way connected to drugs?

EDIT: I don't think The Pot is about drugs, but it definitely could be.

Cid
09-23-2006, 08:55 AM
worst tool lyrics ever.

duncang
09-23-2006, 08:59 AM
worst tool lyrics ever.

You musta been high.

Phorty
09-23-2006, 12:34 PM
What part of the lyrics doesnt sound right?
More or less the only surprise out of the official release was the "cozened " lyric.

HolyMolyRavioli
09-23-2006, 12:59 PM
GANJA PUHHLEASE FTW!

Terry21
09-23-2006, 02:27 PM
What part of the lyrics doesnt sound right?
More or less the only surprise out of the official release was the "cozened " lyric.

I think the cozened part is correct (allthough I was sure it is "will you weep in..." instead of "you're weeping" oh and by the way isn't the "musta got lemon juice in your eye" part a contradiction to the weepin' shades interpretation? People said it is weepin' shades of indigo because of tears and they got tears from the lemon juice in the eye part, but if it's you MUSTA got lemon juice in your eye when you did this and that, then it's not the same as the weepin' shades thing).

What bothers me is the "steal borrow refer save your" part (steal borrow reversing your / steal borrow reaper saviour), "Ganja please" (conjure up lies / got'cha paralyzed) and "fatty fingers" (fatass fingers / fucking fingers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqzyUdPxjqE&mode=related&search= listen to the fingers part).

EDIT:

I just found this dudes, http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cozened

he speaks "cozen" like "cousin".

???

He definately doesn't sing cousin'd indigo.

Terry21
09-23-2006, 02:39 PM
I came to the conclusion that I think these are NOT the real lyrics.

hushypushy
09-23-2006, 04:05 PM
other than the fact that it's missing one line, they seem real enough to me. Blair posted this on toolband's main site, it's a "TA only" thing. i'll see if i can get one of my friends (TA member) to take a pic of it later.

Terry21
09-23-2006, 04:24 PM
other than the fact that it's missing one line, they seem real enough to me. Blair posted this on toolband's main site, it's a "TA only" thing. i'll see if i can get one of my friends (TA member) to take a pic of it later.

What about the speech of cozen?

implandnoises
09-23-2006, 07:08 PM

Maynard likes to pick unusual words out of the thesaurus and sometimes forgets to check the pronounciation?

Fo3
09-23-2006, 07:26 PM
worst tool lyrics ever.

You musta been high.

Hhahaha. You only hate them because they aren't as deep as other songs by Tool. Most likely.

hushypushy
09-23-2006, 07:33 PM

its a song. Maynard messes with syllabales and pronunciation all the time.

and furthermore, at first glance, just look at the word. cozen. kinda looks like frozen, eh? a lot of people pronounce normal words wrong. you know Apocalypse Now Redux? I've heard a lot of people pronounce Redux incorrectly, even though it's pretttty simple (REE DUCKS).

I Chas I
09-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Ganja PLEASE!

I'm so glad that was the correct lyric. I remember being mocked for thinking that was what was being said months ago. Ha to the nonbeleivers.

mjr
09-23-2006, 10:06 PM
dude he definitely says hair at the beginning. the way the word drags on there is no way its head. wtf...

Terry21
09-24-2006, 01:57 AM
I'm feeling too week to explain to you why it's not hair. And this is not another form of "it's obvious", I just don't have the energy. :P

And the cozen thing... You're taking a fact again and changing it to justify your opinion (or something like that). Maynard talks stuff different in songs, but he did it never like that. This sounds more like the person that wrote those lyrics wanted to do something individual to make people agree (that person also wrote everything in small capitals and wrote stuff that aren't in the lyrics to make it look like a real Maynard lyric). That may sounds like I'm having a really stupid and pathetic conspiracy theory going on, but I just think that the lyrics are wrong.

Alex in Chains
09-24-2006, 07:42 AM
cozened???

edit:
v. coz·ened, coz·en·ing, coz·ens

1. To mislead by means of a petty trick or fraud; deceive.
2. To persuade or induce to do something by cajoling or wheedling.
3. To obtain by deceit or persuasion.

To act deceitfully.

Are you retarded? First of all, that's not what the definition located mere inches above where you're typing says. Additionally, is Maynard saying that you acted the indigo deceitfully? Because that doesn't make any sense at all. Thanks for your (incorrectly) reworded synopsis of the definition of "cozened," but maybe next time you should omit your two cents from the post.

Of course, I think most of us knew what the word meant to begin with. Sorry to flame so hard, but it's early in the morning and I am getting fucking sick of reading posts by complete fucking illiterates.

Alex in Chains
09-24-2006, 07:49 AM

I'm going to have to agree with Terry in that this is a copout. While I think these lyrics are official, I fear that the aforementioned idea of Maynard referencing a thesaurus and forgetting to look up pronunciations is not terribly far from the truth.

Chronicle0
09-24-2006, 08:56 AM
Lol that maynard.

Cid
09-24-2006, 08:59 AM
Hhahaha. You only hate them because they aren't as deep as other songs by Tool. Most likely.

well, i guess that might be a reason. they sound stupid to me and there's nothing to think about. so yea, the fact that they sound like stupid and forced lyrics and that there's nothing to think about makes for some shitty lyrics in my opinion. add that to the worst song musically tool has ever made and you have one hell of a joke.

Terry21
09-24-2006, 10:26 AM
I can't believe how even Kabir thinks those are really official. As official as Toolarmy's September Vicarious DVD in Japan?

What pisses me off too is that the dude really wrote "p-lease".

It's just a word, you don't have to tell me people how he sings it, they will hear it!

Nizzem
09-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Are you retarded? First of all, that's not what the definition located mere inches above where you're typing says. Additionally, is Maynard saying that you acted the indigo deceitfully? Because that doesn't make any sense at all. Thanks for your (incorrectly) reworded synopsis of the definition of "cozened," but maybe next time you should omit your two cents from the post.

Of course, I think most of us knew what the word meant to begin with. Sorry to flame so hard, but it's early in the morning and I am getting fucking sick of reading posts by complete fucking illiterates.

What makes your opinion greater then his, maybe you should omit your criticism from the posts.

Sorry it's early in the morning and I am getting fucking sick of reading posts by complete fucking assholes.

Terry21
09-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Alex In Chanes, that stupid post was completely unecessary, I would suggest you to say sorry to the original poster, because he did NOTHING, not even say something bad, he just said "cozened???" and a definition of it. Nothing more.

Godin
09-24-2006, 12:04 PM
These lyrics are suspect. I can't ignore the fact that I'm about as sure as you can be about MJK singing "Noooooow you're weeping shades of cozened indigo, got lemon juice in your HIGH eye", but yet "HIGH eye" is not what's in the "official" lyrics.

Mysteriously, there is also no mention of what is said in the middle of the song where things calm down for a moment... I've suggested before that it was something like "Weeping/reaping shades of indigo... chakra laraesa (pronunciation of some mystery word relating to "chakra")"

It may be the case that MJK released these... but it seems he takes liberties at times to release only partial lyrics to his songs. I think he likes to keep a bit of mystery to his lyrics. There has certainly been instances in the past where he does not include in the official lyrics the things that he whispers in a low key manner during songs.

mike09
09-24-2006, 01:00 PM

and furthermore, at first glance, just look at the word. cozen. kinda looks like frozen, eh? a lot of people pronounce normal words wrong. you know Apocalypse Now Redux? I've heard a lot of people pronounce Redux incorrectly, even though it's pretttty simple (REE DUCKS).

hah so true. I used to think it was pronounced "ray-doo" like a French word or something.

One Dark Flame
09-24-2006, 02:14 PM
These lyrics are suspect. I can't ignore the fact that I'm about as sure as you can be about MJK singing "Noooooow you're weeping shades of cozened indigo, got lemon juice in your HIGH eye", but yet "HIGH eye" is not what's in the "official" lyrics.

Mysteriously, there is also no mention of what is said in the middle of the song where things calm down for a moment... I've suggested before that it was something like "Weeping/reaping shades of indigo... chakra laraesa (pronunciation of some mystery word relating to "chakra")"

It may be the case that MJK released these... but it seems he takes liberties at times to release only partial lyrics to his songs. I think he likes to keep a bit of mystery to his lyrics. There has certainly been instances in the past where he does not include in the official lyrics the things that he whispers in a low key manner during songs.
Let's not forget that the "official" Reflection lyrics posted on toolband have a couple errors. Most obvious the first line

I find that I can see a light at the end down
Beneath my self-indulgent pitiful hole. posted on toolband and it is actually

I have come curiously close to the end, down
Beneath my self-indulgent pitiful hole,

So yeah even if the Pot lyrics posted say official it doesn't seem to mean shit.

jonboy
09-24-2006, 02:37 PM

If your talking to me, I am hardly illiterate.

You made an ass-sumption in that I wrote that. It is actually copied from:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cozened

So next time keep your two cents to yourself and post something constructive towards the collective understanding of this song

iAMtheMA!
09-24-2006, 07:57 PM
happens a lot. if you want accuracy, please be unwilling to (i.e. "don't") check out their "official" lyrics at toolband.com. most of the difficult-to-decipher words are now out, however. i don't think many people even considered "cozened" - and i'm so glad it isn't "chosen" ('cause that threw me into a huge hole concerning my many/connected theories concerning this band and their audio/visuals.)

hushypushy
09-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Maynard talks stuff different in songs, but he did it never like that. This sounds more like the person that wrote those lyrics wanted to do something individual to make people agree (that person also wrote everything in small capitals and wrote stuff that aren't in the lyrics to make it look like a real Maynard lyric).

you lost me man, sorry.

anyway, has anyone considered that it might be a misuse (reuse?) of the word coze (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=coze)? like eat --> eaten, coze --> cozen...

weeping shades of cozened indigo

weeping shades, coze, and indigo

mon-go-lloyd
09-24-2006, 11:07 PM

I think it sounds like he's singing: Weeping shades of indigo, Trapped within/without a reason, Weeping shades of indigo.
But I don't know...I guess it doesn't make any sense. But do to the fact that english is not my native tongue, I figured that maybe it could be correct. Like a figure of speech, or something.

Peace

Useful)(Idiot
09-25-2006, 04:00 AM
kangaroo done hung the jury with the innocent.

i always thought it was hung the JUROR...

Save me if you will
09-25-2006, 06:15 AM
these are real. i'm a member of TA.

Thirdeye11
09-25-2006, 06:39 AM
these are real. i'm a member of TA.

Ummm yes thank you. Since you are a member, we now know these are real.

Red alert people, if you are a member of TA, you know when lyrics are real, and moreover, when they are correct.

Terry21
09-25-2006, 08:06 AM
you lost me man, sorry.

Great, how seriously you take this.

What do you mean? Where did Blair post anything?

iAMtheMA!
09-25-2006, 09:26 AM
i'd rather a TA member say, not only that "cozened fits" or "this is correct", but "here's why". the day i see ONE of 'em come here and tell me something of use, i'll throw down whatever to become a member (you get a t-shirt, too, right? heh).

i challange a TA memeber to lay some fuckin' insight already.

ready? GO!!!

Terry21
09-25-2006, 09:28 AM
Uhm, what did you want to say with that?

Terry21
09-26-2006, 06:27 AM
Can anyone please post a picture?

Jimmeny
09-26-2006, 07:12 AM
"The Pot" is still a shit name for a song.

Terry21
09-26-2006, 08:57 AM
No, simply no.

xmen9c
09-26-2006, 10:01 AM
you lost me man, sorry.

anyway, has anyone considered that it might be a misuse (reuse?) of the word coze (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=coze)? like eat --> eaten, coze --> cozen...

weeping shades of cozened indigo

weeping shades, coze, and indigo

Cozen means to deceive...

Indigo is another word for the color BLUE

This line metaphorically refers to the government forcing a juror to tears for taking part in a kangaroo court to wrongfully convict someone... Therefore the juror is crying BLUE (Government) TEARS for taking part in setting someone up. The Goverment's DECEIT (Cozened) was exercised through the juror's actions.

The trial that serves as part of the inspiration for this song is that of Ed Rosenthal (http://www.green-aid.com/news.htm) thus the marijuana references. The song though delivers a message of "The POT" calling "The Kettle" BLACK succinctly becasue sighting all the facts of the case and how the government "played" this guy would take too long. The Pot is the government and all it’s resources (lawyers, jurors, etc.) & it is also marijuana which serves as the subject matter for the court battle. The Kettle is Ed and the rest of us who are at the mercy of the American “justice system” once in it's cross hairs.

Essentially the song is questioning the verdict in this case, the jurors for knowingly convicting an innocent defendant, calling the government out for doing what it did & sighting small references to all the other variables associated with this trial. The song is actually quite good and thought provoking, not unlike many titles in the TOOL library.

Jimmeny
09-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Indigo is purple, surely?

Terry21
09-26-2006, 10:14 AM
That's what I thought this song is about. "Trapped without a reason"

xmen9c
09-26-2006, 10:15 AM

in·di·go [ índi g ]

From this link:
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid=1861620926

noun (plural in·di·gos or in·di·goes)

Definition:

1. deep purplish blue color: a deep purplish blue color that lies between blue and violet on the visible spectrum

2. blue dye: a blue dye. Source: formerly from plants, but now usually made synthetically.

3. plant yielding indigo dye: a tropical plant of the pea family with fronds of pointed leaves and flowers, a source of indigo dye. Flowers: red or purple, in spikes. Genus Indigofera.

its both I guess... Still a good, thought provoking song. Hardly a shit name...

Terry21
09-26-2006, 10:16 AM

It's a shade of blue.

Jimmeny
09-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Well, it's not both, it's neither blue nor violet. Undermining entirely your point about it referring to tears.

(Edit: yes Terry, a shade of blue very close to purple, and nothing like tears.)

And yes, 'The Pot' has no spark of ingenuity or intrigue about it. Or, in other words, shit title.

Terry21
09-26-2006, 10:19 AM
GOD DAMN EVERYTIME I TRY TO DESCRIBE IT I FAIL AT ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

All I can say is that I think the title is excellent.

By the way, did anyone think about this? :

"oh and by the way isn't the "musta got lemon juice in your eye" part a contradiction to the weepin' shades interpretation? People said it is weepin' shades of indigo because of tears and they got tears from the lemon juice in the eye part, but if it's you MUSTA got lemon juice in your eye when you did this and that, then it's not the same as the weepin' shades thing"

xmen9c
09-26-2006, 10:26 AM
in case anyone cares... songwriting is not "perfect". Artists are allowed certain freedoms when it comes to metaphors since they are the creators of the art... As in many cases with lyrics it's left up to the listeners interpretation. The title works for me, TOOL and the many of us who are apparently interested enough to keep posting about the song.

Did anyone read the info on that trial? What a CROCK! And we wonder why we're pissed at our "leaders" for frivilous wastes of time.

Terry21
09-26-2006, 10:28 AM
What has the title to do with the indigo thing?

What makes it brilliant, it is the name of the hypocrite, the pot (who's calling the kettle black). It's like "Judith". Just "The Pot". And at the same time it is a short form of the sentence.

xmen9c
09-26-2006, 10:30 AM
BTW... I saw them last night in Cleveland, Ohio and they were phenominal. First time i've seen them and I was impressed by the bands power and stage presence. Their music is very powerful and maynard's presence on stage with his rythmic stances and no nonsense delivery of the songs is what it supposed to be like when you see a great band.

TOOL ROCKS!

xmen9c
09-26-2006, 10:32 AM
What has the title to do with the indigo thing?

What makes it brilliant it is the name of the hypocrite, the pot (who's calling the kettle black). It's like "Judith". Just "The Pot" and at the same time it is a short form of the sentence.

What was he supposed to say? Now youre weeping tears of cozened... blue? Going to the trouble to dig the word "cozened" out only to follow it up with blue wouldve been disappointing. Indigo fits much better and it is "blue-ish"... therfore it fits my interpretation.

The title comments are in reference to other posts calling the title "shit". I think it's pretty witty.

implandnoises
09-26-2006, 10:38 AM
GOD DAMN EVERYTIME I TRY TO DESCRIBE IT I FAIL AT ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

All I can say is that I think the title is excellent.

By the way, did anyone think about this? :

"oh and by the way isn't the "musta got lemon juice in your eye" part a contradiction to the weepin' shades interpretation? People said it is weepin' shades of indigo because of tears and they got tears from the lemon juice in the eye part, but if it's you MUSTA got lemon juice in your eye when you did this and that, then it's not the same as the weepin' shades thing"

I don't understand your problem with "musta". It makes perfect sense to me. He is weeping shades of bullshit blue. He must have got lemon juice in his eye to make him cry (forced tears).

Jimmeny
09-26-2006, 10:40 AM
The indigo has nothing to do with the title, they are two seperate grievances I have: one, that indigo has no connection to tears, and two, 'The Pot' is just, rubbish. It's like sculpting the Venus Di Milo to then go and call it "Fred". HE'S ALLOWED TO CALL IT FRED OMG BECAUSE HE MADE IT. Sure, he made it, then gave it a shit title.

xmen9c
09-26-2006, 10:42 AM
The indigo has nothing to do with the title, they are two seperate grievances I have: one, that indigo has no connection to tears, and two, 'The Pot' is just, rubbish. It's like sculpting the Venus Di Milo to then go and call it "Fred". HE'S ALLOWED TO CALL IT FRED OMG BECAUSE HE MADE IT. Sure, he made it, then gave it a shit title.

Correct... Indigo has nothing to do with title.

What would you have called it given what it appears to be about?

implandnoises
09-26-2006, 10:43 AM

Indigo. Blue. Sad. Tears.

Cozened. Bullshit.

Cozened indigo. Bullshit sadness. Crocodile tears.

Terry21
09-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Jimmeny, the song is about hipocrasy and people that are waving their fingers if they're guilty too. Pots that are saying that the kettle is black, even though they're black themselves. It's a story about the hypocrite.

xmen9c
09-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Indigo. Blue. Sad. Tears.

Cozened. Bullshit.

Cozened indigo. Bullshit sadness. Crocodile tears.

I'm with ya. This appears to be a calling out of the jurors and others involved with the hypocrisy o the trial as some of the jurors after the conviction were moved to tears but how they felt didn’t stop them from convicting the guy. Of course, they were probably coerced into the verdict to begin with by having been deceived themselves. I may have poorly explained that aspect of the lyrics earlier.

Terry21
09-26-2006, 10:49 AM
I think the kangaroo court think might be all just metaphors.

And I'm also still not sure if these are the right lyrics. I'm hoping that Blair will soon clear this up, but the kiddo doesn't write anything about it.

Jimmeny
09-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Terry: I know what it's a story about, and I get all the metaphors the song displays (except for the indigo and tears theory, that doesn't wash at all, 'weepings tears of cozened indigo' seems to have a much deeper metaphor behind it). That doesn't mean a song title has to be the most obvious one. As a pair of words used to title a song 'The Pot' has no aesthetic beauty to me at all, nor is it a particularly clever title. It's lazy. To me.

xmen9c
09-26-2006, 10:51 AM
I think the kangaroo court think might be all just metaphors.

And I'm also still not sure if these are the right lyrics. I'm hoping that Blair will soon clear this up, but the kiddo doesn't write anything about it.

Terry,

A kangaroo court is a 'judicial' proceeding that denies proper procedure in the name of expediency; a fraudulent or unjust trial where the decision has essentially been made in advance, usually for the purpose of providing a conviction, either going through the motions of manipulated procedure or allowing no defence at all. This seems right on...

Read up on this trial and you may come to same conclusion as I have.

Terry21
09-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Terry,

A kangaroo court is a 'judicial' proceeding that denies proper procedure in the name of expediency; a fraudulent or unjust trial where the decision has essentially been made in advance, usually for the purpose of providing a conviction, either going through the motions of manipulated procedure or allowing no defence at all. This seems right on...

Yeah, I know, I read about the meaning just today. While I still think that the whole song is probably just straight forward about hypocrasy. And the court thing is just symbolic.

xmen9c
09-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Yeah, I know, I read about the meaning just today. While I still think that the whole song is probably just straight forward about hypocrasy. And the court thing is just symbolic.

Could be... but.. there are the references to lawyers, a hung jury and someone being innocent. Without sighting names in the lyrics, which would remove the metaphorical power of the song, I think (don't know becasue I didn't write it) it is about that trial and hypocrisy in general, as hypocrisy in general is also related to the trial.

Jimmeny
09-26-2006, 11:02 AM
"New Age Philosophy

The color electric indigo is used to symbolically represent the sixth (Ajna) chakra, which is said to include the third eye."

and

"Ajna or the third eye is linked to the pineal gland."

Well then

"now you're weeping shades of cozened indigo. (musta) got lemon juice
up in your eye when you pissed all over my black kettle"

As I said, I thought the indigo would be a much cleverer reference than simply 'tears' (which doesn't work anyway). Cozened indigo perhaps implies, then, someone who is using a drug experience (yep, The Pot, but calling it 'The Pot' isn't very adventurous) to pretend they have a specific spiritual outlook on life, but they are really a hypocrit about it.

The tears are a metaphor, and he swings the metaphor back by saying the were brought on by lemon juice, which is a metaphor for bitterness. All speculation.

Terry21
09-26-2006, 11:08 AM
I just listened with headphones to the Coachella version and I'm pretty sure he says "reversing your shady inference".

xmen9c
09-26-2006, 11:22 AM
I just listened with headphones to the Coachella version and I'm pretty sure he says "reversing your shady inference".

in the missing lyric part at about 4:15 into the song?

Terry21
09-26-2006, 11:25 AM
No, in what the "official" lyrics say "refer, save your...".

The missing part is either "shed without a reason, shocked without a reason or trapped without a reason".

iAMtheMA!
09-26-2006, 07:03 PM
shed
without
a
reason

flipmojo
09-28-2006, 07:34 AM
I'M GOING ALL CAPS ON THIS ONE. :o)

I KNEW IT WAS "GANJA? PUH-LEASE!!!" I SAID THAT ALL ALONG. AND AS FAR AS THE REST OF THE LYRICS GO, THE ONLY THING I HAD WRONG WAS "COZENED INDIGO". BUT WHO WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT?

AHHH YEAH! FLIPMOJO WORKED HIS MOJO ON THOSE LYRICS WAY BACK IN MAY.

Terry21
09-28-2006, 07:37 AM
Ganja Please was the first guess along with Ganja Police.

DON IOTAE
09-29-2006, 01:23 PM
isnt it reefer?

oh, and i knew it was cozened all along... lol

it sounds so perfect and fits so well, wow...

Terry21
09-29-2006, 11:31 PM
Wow... especially because that speech of the word "cozened" doesn't even exist...

Isn't it reversing?

duncang
09-29-2006, 11:54 PM
it sounds so perfect and fits so well, wow...

Thats probably because its what he actually sings.

DON IOTAE
09-30-2006, 08:04 AM
Terry, youre a deeeck.

smart, duncang.

im just saying that i enjoyed the whole cozened revelation. so much for sharing it with you f@#$s!

Terry21
09-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Yes what duncang said was correct and what you said too, but you can't deny that your "OMG IT ALL FITZ" thing sounds a 'lil strange if it's actually spoken different, huh?

bmeason
09-30-2006, 04:47 PM
"New Age Philosophy

The color electric indigo is used to symbolically represent the sixth (Ajna) chakra, which is said to include the third eye."

and

"Ajna or the third eye is linked to the pineal gland."

Well then

"now you're weeping shades of cozened indigo. (musta) got lemon juice
up in your eye when you pissed all over my black kettle"

As I said, I thought the indigo would be a much cleverer reference than simply 'tears' (which doesn't work anyway). Cozened indigo perhaps implies, then, someone who is using a drug experience (yep, The Pot, but calling it 'The Pot' isn't very adventurous) to pretend they have a specific spiritual outlook on life, but they are really a hypocrit about it.

The tears are a metaphor, and he swings the metaphor back by saying the were brought on by lemon juice, which is a metaphor for bitterness. All speculation.

this i like. could it be just a reference to sadness? yes. but thank you for adding another sector to my thought process. also, nice to add "all speculation". save yourself the flame from people who think they know the actual thought process and energy behind it.

all of this is speculation.

personally, i think tool is beyond the "leak faulty shit" moment. slowly but surely we will get the lyrics. but as was before, things can change during recording, etc. the lyrics are spot on, and an awesome song. i have just added cozen to my vocabulary. :)

did my all lower caps make you think this is maynard esque quote? bah. puleeeeeze. off to the blunt.

stonedogg
10-02-2006, 07:11 AM
First, using "indigo" is a masterstroke. Who uses that word anymore? It's the red-headed stepchild of the seven major ROY G. BIV rainbow colors. And I love that it can have so many interpretations (indigo blue, indigo children, indigo chakras), which was likely why MJK chose it in the first place.

Second, using "cozened" is equally inspired. It's another seldom-used word, and pairing it with "indigo" just begs us all to parse its meaning ad nauseum, which is what we're all doing, right? I say mission accomplished.

Third, I'm not sure why the title is generating so much hate. Its double-meaning (which is not obvious until you listen to the song a few times) is the reason it was chosen. It gets you thinking about hypocrisy and marijuana and the possible connections between those words. I mean, what else could the song be called? "Kangaroo Court"? "Black Kettle"? I think it's a perfectly fine title.

Fourth, although not terribly musically adventurous, "The Pot" is a throwback to Undertow's tighter material, and it stands as their most assured and masterfully played song to date. It's not muddled or overly indulgent or interminably long. It changes pace at least a half-dozen times, and the lyrics (as we've all come to realize) are meaningful, debatable, and utterly engrossing. What else could you possibly want from a single song?

DON IOTAE
10-02-2006, 08:28 AM
First, using "indigo" is a masterstroke. Who uses that word anymore? It's the red-headed stepchild of the seven major ROY G. BIV rainbow colors. And I love that it can have so many interpretations (indigo blue, indigo children, indigo chakras), which was likely why MJK chose it in the first place.

Second, using "cozened" is equally inspired. It's another seldom-used word, and pairing it with "indigo" just begs us all to parse its meaning ad nauseum, which is what we're all doing, right? I say mission accomplished.

Third, I'm not sure why the title is generating so much hate. Its double-meaning (which is not obvious until you listen to the song a few times) is the reason it was chosen. It gets you thinking about hypocrisy and marijuana and the possible connections between those words. I mean, what else could the song be called? "Kangaroo Court"? "Black Kettle"? I think it's a perfectly fine title.

Fourth, although not terribly musically adventurous, "The Pot" is a throwback to Undertow's tighter material, and it stands as their most assured and masterfully played song to date. It's not muddled or overly indulgent or interminably long. It changes pace at least a half-dozen times, and the lyrics (as we've all come to realize) are meaningful, debatable, and utterly engrossing. What else could you possibly want from a single song?

QFEmphasis. ANd for Truth.

Excellent summary, IMO.

hushypushy
10-02-2006, 08:45 AM
i agree as well. great first post.

deppo
10-02-2006, 06:11 PM
yup im with the new guy

DON IOTAE
10-03-2006, 05:34 AM
sometimes, n00bs shine.

Terry21
10-03-2006, 11:27 AM
For this comment I could punch all your teeth out of your mouth, iota.

futant55
10-03-2006, 11:50 AM
No, in what the "official" lyrics say "refer, save your...".

The missing part is either "shed without a reason, shocked without a reason or trapped without a reason".

I hear "shaft without a reason" I think this fits with the song becasue whoever is in the kangaroo court totally got shafted.

DON IOTAE
10-03-2006, 01:45 PM
go ahead, bitch.

ktdude
10-05-2006, 01:12 AM
aah I haven't been in this forum in a while, glad to see an overriding sense of love and togetherness is still present

cozened? really? nice, Maynard. He's gone all Shakespearian on us.

iAMtheMA!
10-05-2006, 09:35 AM
i think tool is beyond the "leak faulty shit" moment.

it'd be an easy way to weed out the not-so-much-of-a tool-fan peeps (plenty of 'em are floating around, too). plus, if you listen deep, and "move between the sounds", there are a lot of differences between your "official" "words from mjk" bullshit and what's actually on the recording. does your new lyrics say "in explodes a flaming stealth banana that split the sky like one would hope"? if mine isn't correct, then at least we can alllllllll agree that it's A LOT CLOSER than the "official" lyrics. i think this is a very necessary ploy. also, if you can even follow along to "rosetta stoned" then you're very knowledgable already that maynard james keenan can pronounce things perfectly, at increased speeds, and at the end of a breath. production, right? "done in a studio". yeah, so then why the fuck are we having trouble decifering the rest of the album??? interesting...

"you'd better listen"

(^ says it all, me thinks)

Alex in Chains
10-09-2006, 09:12 AM
If your talking to me, I am hardly illiterate.

You made an ass-sumption in that I wrote that. It is actually copied from:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cozened

So next time keep your two cents to yourself and post something constructive towards the collective understanding of this song

No, I know you copied that. I made the ass-umption that you added "To act deceitfully" at the end, because it conflicts with the definition. Anyone on the site can read the definition, but you decided that people might not understand it and added "To act deceitfully" at the end to clarify. The problem is that "cozen" does not mean "to act deceitfully," so your hey-look-this-is-what-the-word-means was wrong. If you can't speak English, maybe you shouldn't be discussing lyrics.

Terry21
10-09-2006, 09:17 AM
No, I know you copied that. I made the ass-umption that you added "To act deceitfully" at the end, because it conflicts with the definition. Anyone on the site can read the definition, but you decided that people might not understand it and added "To act deceitfully" at the end to clarify. The problem is that "cozen" does not mean "to act deceitfully," so your hey-look-this-is-what-the-word-means was wrong. If you can't speak English, maybe you shouldn't be discussing lyrics.

So that's a reason for insulting a person? I lost respect for you, sir.

jonboy
10-09-2006, 12:48 PM

Did you follow the link? I did not add it. Why do you think I cant speak english? Just because you dont agree with my post? Sad.

one_reflection
10-15-2006, 10:22 PM

Youre a dickhead. Go to the link. Open your damn eyes and read the frigging thing properly. He did (non-ass assumption that you are actually a guy jonboy) NOT add that line. READ FFS.

/anger

one_reflection
10-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Now.. must put my actual opinions in a non-angry post. Please dont flame if all of this has been said before (I know little bits have come up)...ive been reading through and didnt find anything specific elsewhere.

Mostly I think that this song is another criticism of religious messengers and possibly religion itself (the concepts of which are really conveyed to us by messengers in the end anyway). Anyone who has had a friend or any other person try to preach to them about the wonders of Christianity (my example) and how there is no possible way there could be any other explaination for life than Mr Almighty God Himself should see it (although i only really thought about it properly today). Im going through the lyrics in order. I will try not to get repetitive (I am only a n00b afterall...we want to keep the peace here =p)

These said messengers "wave their finger" around, so quick to judge. They are so "eyehole deep" in their beleif and they will outright defend it and say it is truth although all the 'evidence' for god is not clear at all (muddy water). These people do get up on their soapbox...about their 'solid' belief which is in fact like an intricately built, yet incredibly unstable, house of cards that can collapse at the slightest thing. Many of them are so quick to judge others' wrongdoings without stopping to realise that they have just as many faults themselves.

"you musta been high" - Sarcasm. Not high on drugs. High as in great, perfect, up there on a pedestal. "Yeah you really must be soo much better than everyone else".

The whole kangaroo court and jury thingo -- I personally have a major issue with the idea that if one has committed to a life of Christianity, when it comes to judgement day they will be saved and live eternal happiness up there in heaven regardless of what they have done in their life (and forgiveness sought if need be). Those who have chosen not to take this path shall live in eternal misery down there despite their chosen path in life. So we can have the Christian murderer who asked for forgiveness up there whilst the good non-christian heads downwards. As wiki defines the kangaroo court as "a fraudulent or unjust trial where the decision has essentially been made in advance"... i think this is the perfect example of such a case, where ones 'committments' predetermine their fate.

Im not going to go on about the Indigo stuff cos i dont really have my own theories on that one.

The last bit. "Ganja please..you musta been outta your mind". Interestingly (and possibly stupidly) I was unaware that Ganja was another term for marijuana (www.andaman.org/book/app-i/texti.htm). "Ganja? Pfft...how could all you people think the song was about pot??" Some mocking perhaps?

Sorry about the religion-ranting!
PS: I hear the lyric at 4.15 as "trapped without a reason". Who is trapped? The believers/messengers? What real reason do they have to be trapped in the beliefs that they are? Information from other messengers, etc, etc?

iAMtheMA!
10-16-2006, 09:48 AM
very interesting. so, you're saying it's the ol' "is that CIA stash?!" to the religions? that's fuckin' great! it puts things into perspective, doesn't it? you'd rag on teenagers for smokin' up if they've said something stupid, or if they've symptoms of pot use... but is this bringing ALL OF RELIGION onto that level?! haha. it's about goddamn time!

GoLoBuLouS
10-18-2006, 12:57 PM
hi everyone,

here's something interesting about "Cozened Indigo"!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blogdog/260217706/

This blog poster used as a title "shades of cozened color"...

If the lyrics "weeping shades of cozened Indigo" pertain to the use of the word in this way, then it seems to be another way to say "your crying made you blind"...

...and you must have been high to do something you knew you would regret later...

Well, just another way to interpret this lyric... Nebulous as ever.

CrownOfNegativity
10-19-2006, 06:29 PM
My kid acts like a snot-nosed weirdo at school, and he's going to be a total prima donna when he grows up because I'm a great parent who's raising an Indigo Child!

wtf? ahhaha

vedrimir
11-05-2006, 12:58 PM
I dont know, this seems to be one of the hardest songs Maynard ever wrote. I dont understand it really... I expected official lyrics will clear up things to me but actually they didnt. And will they ever publish "official" lyrics that are EXACT replica of what is being said in the song? They missed a whole line in this one. That is carelessness and it goes on and on...

Why it says "cozened" indigo? What is "my black kettle", and why "pissing over" it? What "Kangaroo done" means (literally, not metaphorically), i thought it should say "dont" and not "done"... What kangaroo means anyway? Is there some "slang" meaning i dont know about or it refers to actual animal? "Kangaroo done"= "kangaroo cooked"?

Ganja means marijuana?

Personally, i still feel this is a social song with not much "extra" meaning to be discovered. What is exceptional is the technique, i notice elements of grotesque writing, imagery is really unusual and imo subtly humorous, expressions used are both weird and refreshing... But details just wont match and i only have a vague idea of the song's meaning, i cant make all the parts click and unite in coherent interpretation (which i can with most any other song by Tool)... Weird...

something_Dark
11-18-2006, 04:56 AM
kangaroo huh? I kinda liked king guru better. so this song is political from a stoned point of veiw?

duncang
12-11-2006, 12:28 PM
I mean, I still think sometimes what Maynard puts on the official lyrics are not what he actually sings, because double meanings are easier to put across that way. I still think he says "reaching out to embrace what heaven may come" in Lateralus.

I may be wrong, just putting it out there. I always thought that it was 'valiant fingers', not 'fatty fingers'.

timespacex
06-23-2007, 11:55 AM

This line metaphorically refers to the government forcing a juror to tears for taking part in a kangaroo court to wrongfully convict someone... Therefore the juror is crying BLUE (Government) TEARS for taking part in setting someone up. The Goverment's DECEIT (Cozened) was exercised through the juror's actions.

The trial that serves as part of the inspiration for this song is that of Ed Rosenthal (http://www.green-aid.com/news.htm) thus the marijuana references. The song though delivers a message of "The POT" calling "The Kettle" BLACK succinctly becasue sighting all the facts of the case and how the government "played" this guy would take too long. The Pot is the government and all it’s resources (lawyers, jurors, etc.) & it is also marijuana which serves as the subject matter for the court battle. The Kettle is Ed and the rest of us who are at the mercy of the American “justice system” once in it's cross hairs.

Essentially the song is questioning the verdict in this case, the jurors for knowingly convicting an innocent defendant, calling the government out for doing what it did & sighting small references to all the other variables associated with this trial. The song is actually quite good and thought provoking, not unlike many titles in the TOOL library.

where did you come up with this? how did you know? b r a v o ! ! ! ! !

Inner_Eulogy
06-25-2007, 09:45 AM

That's awesome....this totally seems to fit the bill

The Holy Gift
07-05-2007, 11:32 AM
its obvious this entire song has double meaning. its obviously about hypocrisy, but there is the obvious meaning of the people waving their finger, but are so full of it, and the idea that people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones. but i also believe its about the Ed Rosenthal case, the government convicting him of drugs via the use of a "kangaroo trial". if anyone should be convicted of drugs, its the government, they have and grow more than anyone. the line kangaroo done hung the jury with the innocent, hes simply saying the jury should hang alongside him for convicting someone who was obviously being railroaded. the pot through rosetta stoned all wreak of bill hicks IMHO. the pot = social criticism (favorite pasttime of Hicks). lipan conjuring = recreational drug use(another pasttime ;p). lost keys = bad drug trip (more drug use) rosetta stoned = drug trip leading to alien abduction HELLO JUST LIKE HICKS. still IMHO

The Holy Gift
07-05-2007, 12:06 PM
after listening to this song 209234l;asd;flj times, these are the lyrics i believe:

who are you to wave your finger
you must have been out your head
eye hole deep in muddy water
you practically raise the dead
rob the grave to snow the cradle
then burn the evidence down
soap box house of cards and glass so dont go tossin' your stones around

you must have been high
you must have been high
you must have been

foot in mouth and head up asshole
watcha talkin' bout?
difficult to dance round this one til u pull it out
boy, you must have been so high
you must have been so high

steal, borrow, re-vers-ing your shady inference
kangaroo done hung the jury with the innocent
now your weeping shades of chosen indigo
got lemon juice up in your eye, eye
when u piss all over my black kettle
you must have been high, high
you must have been high, high

who are you to wave your finger, so full of it
eyeballs deep in muddy waters, fuckin' hypocrite
liar, lawyer, mirror show me wuts the difference
kangaroo done hung the guilty with the innocent
NOOOOOOW
your weeping shades of chosen indigo
got lemon juice up in your eye, high, eye
you must have been

so who are you to wave your finger?
how are you to wave your fatty finger at me?
you must have been out your mind

weeping shades of indigo
(shed, or trapped, idk, i heard shock)shock without a reason
weeping shades of indigo

liar, lawyer, mirror for you whats the difference?
kangaroo be stoned hes guilty as the government
Noooooow
your weeping shades of chosen indigo
got lemon lemon juice up in your eye, eye
you must have been high, high, high, high

eyeballs deep in bloody waters
eyeballs deep in muddy waters

ganja please
you must have been out yo mind

i took a lossless WMA file, dropped it in Adobe Audition, extracted center channel:
for the missing lyric, in audition, all cleaned up, very little music, just lyrics, its hard to decipher whether its shock or shuck, and since the song isnt about corn, i figured it was prolly shock. as for the "cozen" argument, and u can clearly hear that its a "ch" as in choke or chop or chosen. aslo at time marker 2:38 out of the right channel there is something said under the music, i was wondering if anyone else can decipher what it is.

Inner_Eulogy
07-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Um, yeah...it's a shame that the OFFICIAL lyrics were already released for this song quite some time ago. Maybe you should check them out.

Ellen
07-08-2007, 08:08 PM
i don't understand the symbolism/meaning of "kangaroo done hung the jury with the innocent"
Please i'd like to understand it more but this line has struck me...
Thanks alot
And does anyone know when/if Tool are returning in November in NZ???????

miketh74
08-04-2007, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=The Holy Gift;2040078]after listening to this song 209234l;asd;flj times, these are the lyrics i believe:

i took a lossless WMA file, dropped it in Adobe Audition, extracted center channel:
for the missing lyric, in audition, all cleaned up, very little music, just lyrics, its hard to decipher whether its shock or shuck, and since the song isnt about corn, i figured it was prolly shock. as for the "cozen" argument, and u can clearly hear that its a "ch" as in choke or chop or chosen. aslo at time marker 2:38 out of the right channel there is something said under the music, i was wondering if anyone else can decipher what it is.[/QUOTE

FOR F**K SAKE....quit posting the lyrics to the entire song!!! Make your point and pick the parts that you conflict with.

I think this song is simply pointing out the hypocracies in all aspects of life, especially in the judicial system. And "The Pot" probably refers to America's "melting pot" and how we piss all over it with these hypocracies (lawsuits, retarded and off balance as they are). Of course, I may be way off base.....feel free to bash me if you conclude otherwise.

P.S. Not all songs by Tool have to be metaphorically loaded to be awesome. The music of The Pot is nothing short of friggin amazing. Right In Two is pretty straight forward, but it's a musical masterpiece. Not too many Tool songs aren't.