PDA

View Full Version : A new meaning, related to Opiate's main

Alka
09-21-2006, 01:27 PM
I think that all the Opiate album describes the legacy between an authority and the normal people who follows it. Religion is one of the authority took as an example, both because is very representive, both for Maynard's life experiences.
The opinion of Tool about any kind of autorithy is, needless to say, obviously very critic.

In Jerk-Off I think that Maynard starts from the point of view of the autorithy regarding ethic behaviour.

Someone told me once
that there's a right and wrong,
and that punishment
would come to those
who dare to cross the line

But he immediately doubts about that, because it doesn't fit in real life

But it must not be true
for jerk-offs like you.
Maybe it takes longer to catch a total asshole

So he builds his own way of acting

Consequences dictate
our course of action
and it doesn't matter what's right.
It's only wrong if you get caught

Thinking for himself, not following blindy other's people interested theory, he moves forward as he becames god, meaning the new authority to follow, himself.

If consequences dictate
my course of action
I should play GOD

-----> Think for yourself, question authority

Another chapter in the relationship (far more clear in Opiate, the song) between us and who wants to oppress us, physically and mentally.

A sort of a concept album? Or maybe only in my mind?
Anyway, a song that could simple describe anger against somebody, it's to me much more meaningful. Thanks Maynard for the wonderful job.

eternalnuisance.com
09-29-2006, 11:15 PM
I like your interperatation, it's different from what I thought. Which was he was noticing the hypocrisy of the world around him, i.e. the concept of the golden rule, love thy neighbor, etc. and then looking around and seeing nothing but a diseased cespool of degenerates and dipshits, and being left emotionally agitated and angered.

NewUser
09-30-2006, 05:33 AM
Maynard thinks he's god? No way. /sarcasm

I think the meaning of the song is pretty cut and dry. He sees this asshole getting away with a bunch of injustices and he wants to shoot the guy in his fucking head. the end.

eternalnuisance.com
09-30-2006, 11:04 AM
^or that too.

Alka
10-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Maynard thinks he's god? No way. /sarcasm

I've never said that, I just think that he builds his own set of rules, becoming his new authority.

wingsforRosetta420
10-07-2006, 10:21 PM
try telling me something i dont know.
I think that all the Opiate album describes the legacy between an authority and the normal people who follows it. Religion is one of the authority took as an example, both because is very representive, both for Maynard's life experiences.
The opinion of Tool about any kind of autorithy is, needless to say, obviously very critic.

In Jerk-Off I think that Maynard starts from the point of view of the autorithy regarding ethic behaviour.

Someone told me once
that there's a right and wrong,
and that punishment
would come to those
who dare to cross the line

But he immediately doubts about that, because it doesn't fit in real life

But it must not be true
for jerk-offs like you.
Maybe it takes longer to catch a total asshole

So he builds his own way of acting

Consequences dictate
our course of action
and it doesn't matter what's right.
It's only wrong if you get caught

Thinking for himself, not following blindy other's people interested theory, he moves forward as he becames god, meaning the new authority to follow, himself.

If consequences dictate
my course of action
I should play GOD

-----> Think for yourself, question authority

Another chapter in the relationship (far more clear in Opiate, the song) between us and who wants to oppress us, physically and mentally.

A sort of a concept album? Or maybe only in my mind?
Anyway, a song that could simple describe anger against somebody, it's to me much more meaningful. Thanks Maynard for the wonderful job.