weesper
09-21-2006, 07:57 AM
it's the sound of someone gasping for breath while drowning imo

Useful)(Idiot
09-21-2006, 05:58 PM
i definitely hear "hey, hey".

MyShadow683
10-02-2006, 05:30 PM
i thought it was "hey hey hey hey hey" all this while..after seeing that it might be "i hate" i went back and listened to the song and it definitely seems like he's saying "i hate"..either way it fits the song
i find it really funny that there are no "official" lyrics to tool's songs....they never release lyrics with their cd's. the lyrics are what we all interpret and hear and the closest one gets posted as the "official" lyrics.
another good example would be from Right in two..."Gotta divide it all right in two" OR "gotta divide our love right in two"...

weathermantom
10-05-2006, 11:28 AM
heh heh, I always thought he was saying "pain, pain, pain, pain" which, now that I look back on it, doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

fretforyourfigure462
10-06-2006, 10:49 AM
heh heh, I always thought he was saying "pain, pain, pain, pain" which, now that I look back on it, doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

haha. i thought I was the only one =]

But after listening to that song a thousand times, I'm pretty sure it's 'heyheyhey' but ya never know. As long as you have your own interpretation of it...I also read above that it's suppose to be soemone gasping for breath as they're drowning, and that makes a lot of sense too.

Either way, AEnema is my favorite Tool song.

Hindu
10-16-2006, 11:15 AM

But after listening to that song a thousand times, I'm pretty sure it's 'heyheyhey' but ya never know. As long as you have your own interpretation of it...I also read above that it's suppose to be soemone gasping for breath as they're drowning, and that makes a lot of sense too.

Maynard came out during the Aenima tour and said, "Danny wanted me to tell you this joke... what is HEY HEY HEY HEY?" The crowd responded with the appropriate song title, "Aenima!" and Maynard responded... "a pair of pants." Hillarious.

hushypushy
10-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Call me a douchebag, but I don't get that one.

weathermantom
10-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Oh good; I don't get it either.

grafik
10-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Call me a douchebag, but I don't get that one.

lol...think about it for another minute

Hindu
10-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Oh good; I don't get it either.

a pair of pants.. he's panting.. aka gasping for air.

Pala Cósmico
11-01-2006, 07:01 PM
a pair of pants.. he's panting.. aka gasping for air.
ahahaha...that's a good one.

justfar1086
11-01-2006, 07:04 PM
well in most live versions it just sounds like "hey", but i dont know, does it really matter though?

Ci5tm Konfliqt!
11-02-2006, 08:58 AM
not sure about i hate . hate sounds more accurate

mr. nikki jensen
11-02-2006, 01:12 PM
hate hate hate hate hate hate

mjkajdcjc
11-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Maybe it's "wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait"?

That's what I think, it kind of ties in to the whole waiting/praying for tidal waves and for Los Angeles to come floating down to Arizona Bay.

TurdEye13
11-07-2006, 12:24 AM
it's the sound of someone gasping for breath while drowning imo

That is what I think of when I hear it. It goes along with the whole water/cleansing theme

iAMtheMA!
11-07-2006, 07:56 PM
hay hay hay hay hay hay hay

imatoolhed
11-07-2006, 08:03 PM
it totally sounds like "ihateihateihateihateihate" to me not "heyheyheyhey"

not

fretforyourfigure462
11-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Maynard came out during the Aenima tour and said, "Danny wanted me to tell you this joke... what is HEY HEY HEY HEY?" The crowd responded with the appropriate song title, "Aenima!" and Maynard responded... "a pair of pants." Hillarious.

ha. I felt sort of like a douchebag when I didn't get that one either. But after reading through the rest of the posts, I get it. Ha. That's funny....

Such witty humor, indeed.

amenorakumo
11-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Yea, I definitely think it's just survivalist gasp, panting for air etc.. ((Learn to swim)). I just can't believe it's anything like 'hate' or 'pain'... Just doesn't seem like maynards style. Too explicit and simplistic, imo

Jeep Woods
11-23-2006, 06:11 PM
To me it kinda sounds like hey hey hey hey hey hate hate I hate, then the opening riff.

But then again why the FUCK does it matter? Am I just a complete asshole?

mjkajdcjc
11-23-2006, 10:28 PM
Maybe it's "wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait"?

That's what I think, it kind of ties in to the whole waiting/praying for tidal waves and for Los Angeles to come floating down to Arizona Bay.

I'm pretty sure I'm right, actually.

weathermantom
11-27-2006, 01:24 PM
except on the live versions, it sounds nothing like wait...
After watching many old shows, I have come to the conclusion that it is just a sound for people to interpret (surprise), and it can sound like 'hey' if you want, or it can sound like gasping, because he does sort of just breathe in and out forcefully.

mjkajdcjc
11-27-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm right, actually.

I'm definately sure I'm right, actually.

El Shaggy
11-28-2006, 03:56 AM
I hear an animalistic panting, like a dog, or a human fucking hard. All i do know is that it is a good sound.

opiated
11-28-2006, 12:37 PM
i find it really funny that there are no "official" lyrics to tool's songs....they never release lyrics with their cd's. the lyrics are what we all interpret and hear and the closest one gets posted as the "official" lyrics.

Nope, there are "official" lyrics available for 5 of the 6 albums by Tool available here at Toolshed and at Tool's official site (in any case, the official lyrics came straight from Maynard himself via a computer and e-mail). But, in case you didn't read the disclaimers, fine print, and various legal jargon at the bottom of the page, all of Maynard's lyrics undergo various and/or subtle changes for each performance, album or concert.

You are, however, correct about lyrics never accompanying any Tool album. There's a purpose for that. Maynard said during an interview (this is paraphrased) that he would prefer listeners judge the lyrics for his or her self and, if it bugs them that bad, they can just go on the internet and find out. It all follows the concept of thinking for yourself. And even then, not all of the lyrics for the album performance are posted (i.e. some lyrics for "Pushit" that you hear on the album are not on the official transcripts). The only case where lyrics were available with a Tool album was Undertow, and even then they were just randomly (hmmm. . . gonna have to think about that one a bit) chosen lines from random (gonna have to think about that, too) tracks on the CD.

As of now, we're just taking stabs at nine of the eleven tracks on 10,000 Days. And, soon, I'd say we'll be seeing another track's lyrics being posted to the lyrics page at Toolband and Toolshed.

mjkajdcjc
11-28-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm definately sure I'm right, actually.

JC, I'm right, already. Everyone stop posting anything else.

Yoxodo
11-29-2006, 01:51 AM

LOL...most completely and utterly right, right?

mjkajdcjc
11-29-2006, 08:08 PM
LOL...most completely and utterly right, right?

Yep. Listen and think about the song...

Then "wait, wait, wait..." will sound so much better than "hey" or "hate" or whatever else has been said.

Yoxodo
11-30-2006, 01:35 AM
apocalyptic

fretforyourfigure462
12-11-2006, 11:56 AM
To me it kinda sounds like hey hey hey hey hey hate hate I hate, then the opening riff.

But then again why the FUCK does it matter? Am I just a complete asshole?

You're right. heh. It really doesn't matter.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure it's 'hey hey hey'

DrJones
12-11-2006, 12:17 PM
I always thought it said "bay"...being that it is right after he says "see you down in AZ bay" but i'm listening to it now, and I hear "hey"...although, near the end of the little "hey/hate/bay/whatever" there is a change in what I hear...I'm not sure how to describe it, but perhaps he starts out saying one thing and at the end he says something else? Anyone else hear it? Turn it up, listen with your good ear, and pay attention! ;-)

Well, the song just finished and near the end, when he is growling it sounds like just generic growling. Is this the part you're talking about, cuz I can definately hear where you would not be able to know exactly. The end part almost reminds me of something you would hear David Draiman from Disturbed do.

*shrugs*

Inner_Eulogy
12-15-2006, 11:39 AM
i thought it was "hey hey hey hey hey" all this while..after seeing that it might be "i hate" i went back and listened to the song and it definitely seems like he's saying "i hate"..either way it fits the song
another good example would be from Right in two..."Gotta divide it all right in two" OR "gotta divide our love right in two"...

Um, WRONG....Maynard has released "official" lyrics to most of their songs online but usually quite some time after the record was released.

Inner_Eulogy
12-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Nope, there are "official" lyrics available for 5 of the 6 albums by Tool available here at Toolshed and at Tool's official site (in any case, the official lyrics came straight from Maynard himself via a computer and e-mail). But, in case you didn't read the disclaimers, fine print, and various legal jargon at the bottom of the page, all of Maynard's lyrics undergo various and/or subtle changes for each performance, album or concert.

You are, however, correct about lyrics never accompanying any Tool album. There's a purpose for that. Maynard said during an interview (this is paraphrased) that he would prefer listeners judge the lyrics for his or her self and, if it bugs them that bad, they can just go on the internet and find out. It all follows the concept of thinking for yourself. And even then, not all of the lyrics for the album performance are posted (i.e. some lyrics for "Pushit" that you hear on the album are not on the official transcripts). The only case where lyrics were available with a Tool album was Undertow, and even then they were just randomly (hmmm. . . gonna have to think about that one a bit) chosen lines from random (gonna have to think about that, too) tracks on the CD.

As of now, we're just taking stabs at nine of the eleven tracks on 10,000 Days. And, soon, I'd say we'll be seeing another track's lyrics being posted to the lyrics page at Toolband and Toolshed.

Well, you're sort of right. Truth is, Maynard doesn't mind releasing his official lyrlcs later on but the main reason he waits is he wants people to be able to truly experience the music first without sitting there reading lyrics to it. Reading is a thinking process and therefore you are not fully feeling out the music for what it is.

I do agree about the slight variations made by him in his lyrics.

Inner_Eulogy
12-15-2006, 11:49 AM

You know, it's crazy that I never put that one together. I'm usually on top of my shit but, I never thought it being gasps for air. I always had the self impression that it was symbolizing meditative breathing techniques since the album is layered with themes like human evolution and a higher consciousness.

DarkAngel1006
12-15-2006, 11:58 AM
I am sure it says heyheyhey, cause if you think about it, he's saying hey out you out there listen to what i'm saying cause it's all true. look at all the quakes that go on in Cali, it's bound to be detatched. and i hold alot of faith in what Maynard says in his lyrics.

the midas touch
12-15-2006, 12:07 PM

I hear "pain hey pain hey pain hey pain hey I hate I hate it I hate I hate it... "

Inner_Eulogy
12-15-2006, 12:07 PM
I am sure it says heyheyhey, cause if you think about it, he's saying hey out you out there listen to what i'm saying cause it's all true. look at all the quakes that go on in Cali, it's bound to be detatched. and i hold alot of faith in what Maynard says in his lyrics.

Huh? Speaka any inglese?

<edit> I would have to agree that it's symbolizing a metaphor for somebody (or group of people in general) gasping for air because they're drowning in their own ignorance.

Intolerable
12-30-2006, 10:40 PM
I never really viewed the "hey" as a word, but a sound - the sound of someone gulping for air, to be more specific. Think of that gasp for air sound you make after holding your breath underwater for a while - that's what i always heard - it ties in with the hole 'learn to swim' thing also.

Chronicle0
01-03-2007, 07:37 PM
I never really viewed the "hey" as a word, but a sound - the sound of someone gulping for air, to be more specific. Think of that gasp for air sound you make after holding your breath underwater for a while - that's what i always heard - it ties in with the hole 'learn to swim' thing also.

+1, gonna have to agree with this guy. it does sound like hey if you think of it but if you're just day dreaming and listening to the song- it's just gasping for air.

Checkmate
01-06-2007, 03:51 PM
I simply don't hear the two syllables necessary to say "I hate" as opposed to "hey."

squintzik
01-11-2007, 03:35 PM
To me it sounds like the exhaling of air, rather than the inhaling. Could be a reference to how society (including L.A.) is using more natural resources than we should, and are depleting the earth of what we actually need to survive.

goobermensch
01-20-2007, 10:23 PM
dude.. he's not saying anything.. just breathing... and durring one of their live shows, he said something about contemporary jungian therapy.. but basically i think if you try breathing with him it puts you in a different state of mind..

then close your eyes and listen to ions.. it messes with your brain waves like toatally.. sets the mood straight for third eye to begin..

Aenema is just a purification ritual before Third Eye where they're just cleaning all the "crap" out of your head.

peace..

shly
02-14-2007, 03:20 AM
i agree with squintzik and goobermensch. i think maynard is 'just' exhaling

i do yoga astanga yoga regularly and we do this thing called UTPLUTHIH where you cross your legs and then raise yourself off the floor supported on your arms.. and then you exhale loudly ten times in a row the same way that maynard does: 'haaayeeh haaayeeh hayeeeh..' etc.

breath is usually used in martial arts and yoga to tune into your body and generate energy.. i'm not gonna say that that's what he's doing. for all i care he could be straining on the dunny trying to take a dump.. it's a fucking awesome song

learn to surf

amenorakumo
02-14-2007, 10:53 AM
but basically i think if you try breathing with him it puts you in a different state of mind..

Yea i do controlled breathing and it almost seems like one of the mantras you'd repeat. whereas Aum corresponds to a certain chakra, singing along with this is almost like it pushes the energy down through all your chakras. Or atleast that's how it is for me. Also I think it's panting, as been said before

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-10-2007, 10:58 PM
I hear "pain hey pain hey pain hey pain hey I hate I hate it I hate I hate it... "

The opening part everyone has discussed, but I think he is saying I hate i hate i hate i hate in the ending of the song. Does anyone else hear this? I might have to go listen to it again but i think i am correct, maybe not. but I am sure he is saying hey hey hey in the beginning. Can we get some discussion on the ending of the song? please discuss.

Inner_Eulogy
03-27-2007, 01:21 PM
To me it sounds like the exhaling of air, rather than the inhaling. Could be a reference to how society (including L.A.) is using more natural resources than we should, and are depleting the earth of what we actually need to survive.

Of course he's exhaling, he'd probably pass out inhaling that much that fast...you try it

Theres No Love in Fear
03-27-2007, 07:19 PM
lol this thread is kinda funny looking from a third party. Controversy over whether he says "hey" or not. xD

Inner_Eulogy
03-30-2007, 09:47 AM
lol this thread is kinda funny looking from a third party. Controversy over whether he says "hey" or not. xD

DAMN STRAIGHT