PDA

View Full Version : Danny's drums on The Gudge

Davidow
09-16-2006, 04:15 AM
I think in this song Danny has come up with the best drums so far.
His style fits perfectly with the guitars and base lines which makes this song a true masterpiece of all time.What do you think?

lemonlateralus
09-16-2006, 04:29 AM
I think he is an exceptional drummer and this is an amazing song,but I wouldnt say it is his best work.
p.s-Great avatar:)

Xicked
10-02-2006, 09:52 AM
The drumming is definitely a huge part of why this song is so amazing. Every element of this song comes together perfectly.

scorectum
10-04-2006, 05:32 PM
his drumming is the only thing that keeps this song going, and he's done better imo..

macfreak
10-05-2006, 10:02 PM
I think in this song Danny has come up with the best drums so far.
His style fits perfectly with the guitars and base lines which makes this song a true masterpiece of all time.What do you think?

I agree with you, danny is just amazing in this song, i love this song it Tool at it´s best

bgparanoid
10-09-2006, 10:15 PM
you said gudge i like fudge but who's the judge anyway? JUDGE DREDD....?

philipg
10-12-2006, 09:39 PM
this song has some of the best drum parts.. id say the grudge, ticks and leeches, 46 and 2 and aenema are the best drum songs

base metal
10-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Danny's drumming is always awesome and this song is no exception. I especially like the roto tom part in the intro and the explosiveness at the end of the song.

Ticks and Leeches for sure, but, how about Lateralus, Jambi and Rosetta Stoned?

Davidow
10-20-2006, 07:53 AM
I play drums and u can be sure that it's very hard to play this song, but hey I can do the singing

sven2388
10-21-2006, 12:19 PM
i think the drums on this song are brilliant, especially the end. and i am a drummer who has been drumming for 7 years

mjkajdcjc
11-07-2006, 08:12 PM
this song has some of the best drum parts.. id say the grudge, ticks and leeches, 46 and 2 and aenema are the best drum songs

Word. Not only is his speed and incorporation of every drum into each song what blows my mind, but also how his time signatures are always bizarre ones like 9|8 or 10|8 or 5|4. Just an amazing drummer.

SpiraMirabilis
11-08-2006, 05:30 AM
It's not so much the drumming but the rhythm in general. The way the drums interact with the other instruments is quite exceptional. Although the song is written in 10/8 throughout, all the different combinations of metre are explored - 2+3+2+3, 3+3+2+2, etc.

My favorite drum part is reserved for Reflection though.

InsolentBystander
11-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Yeah I rate it as his best drum performance ever. That’s one of the reasons this is my favourite song.

mjkajdcjc
11-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Yeah I rate it as his best drum performance ever. That’s one of the reasons this is my favourite song.

This and "Ticks and Leeches" could convince anyone that he's the best drummer of the last 25 years.

Davidow
11-10-2006, 10:47 AM
who could replace his place?
who could play drums for tool?
well nobody I guess?

Confield
11-10-2006, 02:40 PM
This and "Ticks and Leeches" could convince anyone that he's the best drummer of the last 25 years.

I agree with that, although I consider Right in Two (gotta love the "fight" section and the part after Timmay!), The Patient, Triad, and Rosetta Stoned ("Bob help me" has got to be the greatest drumming he's ever contributed to the band, that single 3/4 snare tap just tops off those furious, dynamic toms perfectly) to be his best performances. Those two pieces you mention are far less subtle and much more showy and mechanical, easily appealing to the uninterested.

mjkajdcjc
11-10-2006, 10:35 PM
I hear you, Confield. But, you have to admit Lateralus is the best drumming album of alltime...

dusanm
11-10-2006, 11:20 PM
I hear you, Confield. But, you have to admit Lateralus is the best drumming album of alltime...

Lateralus is THE BEST song of all time :D
Teeks and leeches has a very powerful drumming part after that long slow part. That "drumm entrance" always blows me out!!

Confield
11-11-2006, 11:40 AM

It's Carey's best and I consider Carey to be the best drummer I'm aware of, but I think he's better now. What makes Lateralus his best album as a drummer is how the songs are centered around his drumming, and there's a lot more of it, but I think he delivers his best performances on 10,000 days. Lateralus lacks the incredible dynamics, lush, and intricacies of the new album.

mjkajdcjc
11-11-2006, 03:55 PM
It's Carey's best and I consider Carey to be the best drummer I'm aware of, but I think he's better now. What makes Lateralus his best album as a drummer is how the songs are centered around his drumming, and there's a lot more of it, but I think he delivers his best performances on 10,000 days. Lateralus lacks the incredible dynamics, lush, and intricacies of the new album.

I'll say a couple of things, so get ready:

1) Here are ten other drummers who you may find to actually be better than Danny (as blasphemous as that sounds):

Neil Peart - Rush
Terry Bozzio - Zappa
Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater
Tim Alexander - Primus
Bill Bruford - King Crimson, Yes
Carl Palmer - ELP
Dave Lombardo - Slayer
Ian Paice - Deep Purple
Jeff Porcaro - Toto
Stewart Copeland - The Police

2) Lateralus is technically impressive, but Aenima's drumming tends to stand out more than on Lateralus IMO.

3) 10,000 Days is EVERY member of the band's step towards becoming a greater musician, as most notably Danny and Adam take more traditional and more easily noticable styles of playing their instruments. Each Tool album tends to delve more and more into the prog rock sound that King Crimson and Yes once created 30 years ago. Tool's albums have progressively become less and less accessible, which truly shows the band reaching "a new level"- so to speak- of musicianship.

That is all.

Confield
11-11-2006, 04:08 PM
I'll say a couple of things, so get ready:

1) Here are ten other drummers who you may find to actually be better than Danny (as blasphemous as that sounds):

Neil Peart - Rush
Terry Bozzio - Zappa
Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater
Tim Alexander - Primus
Bill Bruford - King Crimson, Yes
Carl Palmer - ELP
Dave Lombardo - Slayer
Ian Paice - Deep Purple
Jeff Porcaro - Toto
Stewart Copeland - The Police

2) Lateralus is technically impressive, but Aenima's drumming tends to stand out more than on Lateralus IMO.

3) 10,000 Days is EVERY member of the band's step towards becoming a greater musician, as most notably Danny and Adam take more traditional and more easily noticable styles of playing their instruments. Each Tool album tends to delve more and more into the prog rock sound that King Crimson and Yes once created 30 years ago. Tool's albums have progressively become less and less accessible, which truly shows the band reaching "a new level"- so to speak- of musicianship.

That is all.I'm not a fan of the others, but I'll check out Toto.

Aenima's drumming is good but not even aesthetically as appealing as the more recent efforts.

I'm a fan of Herb Alexander and Neil Peart (I own every Rush and Primus album, for technical inspiration). Bozzio's work with Zappa is great technically but isn't very creative, imo. I like Lombardo, especially his simple but energetic work with Fantomas. Portnoy blows, imo. Palmer is decent. Bruford is also a great drummer, in fact he was my favorite before i heard Carey. The others are alright, but I haven't heard much Toto.

I agree with the third point, but I think Maynard is losing interest. Danny and Justin display mastery of their styles, and so does Adam, though he seems to be more experimental and fickle than the other two, who seem to have found and themselves and developed exponentially.

base metal
11-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Aenima's drumming is good but not even aesthetically as appealing as the more recent efforts.

I agree 100%, Danny's playing went to a whole new level on Lateralus and 10k.

I don't think Portnoy blows though.

Davidow
11-16-2006, 11:22 AM
You better check out Toto cuz that guy is kickin.
You can also check out Virgil Donnati.
The grudge drumming stays the best for me, I listen that song every thay at home at the university and even in the toilet.