PDA

View Full Version : MAynard used the 'megaphonetool' for entire song.

prime weed
09-15-2006, 11:34 AM
During the Woodlands, TX show Maynard was complaing of illness. So for "ROSETTA STONED" he used the trusty tool-megaphone thingy for the entire song. If my live bootleg tool memory is serves me right, i believe he didnt use the tool-megaphone thingy for the lines like, "Overwhelemed as one would, placed in my postion" or the now infamous "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII cant remember what he said to ME!" but he used it that night. even for the primal scream in the song.

Question: Was he just using the tool-megaphone thingy as a crutch, for the night?
-which is ok by me, if maynard was sick-
I was just wondering.

You know the "tool-megaphone thingy". its just I call it. He's been using it for a while now. appearing in - Elulogy, Third Eye, Hooker With a Penis, and a few others i think.

Ticks and Leeches too, but never appeared on stage while performing this song.

duncang
09-15-2006, 12:35 PM
They've never performed Ticks & Leeches live.

vedrimir
09-15-2006, 12:53 PM
they did, but seldomly, i have a bootleg and you can also see some on youtube. on the audio that i have maynard does use some sort of megaphone, voice enhancer or whatever that is...

toolloot
09-15-2006, 12:59 PM
They've performed it several times.

duncang
09-15-2006, 01:10 PM
But Maynard's never done the full on screaming right? Thats why he used the megaphone?

vedrimir
09-15-2006, 02:17 PM
yeah, kind of like that, he did many hard parts on the bootleg i have, but his voice was obviously modulated. you know, its a bootleg, sound quality is not good enough, sometimes his voice almost fades away in noise, but it sounded just like on record, it was not his natural voice, but he did all the screaming... Danny's short intro works effectively as well.

prime weed
09-16-2006, 03:18 AM
on the 'Lateralus' record, Maynard uses his actual voice to sing every lyric in 'Ticks & Leeches', it was supposedly the last track they recorded on the 'Lateralus' album, becuase Maynard voice was so wrecked after recording that song in the studio, it took over a month to recover from it. but- (it truly is his actual voice on the album) no synthesized, enhanced, megaphone bullshit, all Maynard on the studio recording of "Ticks and Leeches."

anymore tool knowledge nned to be dropped, simply ask.
i maybe a southern somobody, but i know my tool inside and out.

test OGT game. (not bragging, i just know more than average Laquacious around here)

paraflux
09-16-2006, 07:25 AM
He sang some parts without the effect, like the Overwhelmed part, but it was all an octave lower than normal.

funderballz
09-16-2006, 11:39 AM
During the Woodlands, TX show Maynard was complaing of illness. So for "ROSETTA STONED" he used the trusty tool-megaphone thingy for the entire song. If my live bootleg tool memory is serves me right, i believe he didnt use the tool-megaphone thingy for the lines like, "Overwhelemed as one would, placed in my postion" or the now infamous "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII cant remember what he said to ME!" but he used it that night. even for the primal scream in the song.

Question: Was he just using the tool-megaphone thingy as a crutch, for the night?
I was just wondering.

You know the "tool-megaphone thingy". its just I call it. He's been using it for a while now. appearing in - Elulogy, Third Eye, Hooker With a Penis, and a few others i think.

Ticks and Leeches too, but never appeared on stage while performing this song.

I was at that gig, I noticed that too. His voice sounded a bit unnatural even during the "overwhelmed..." part.

vedrimir
09-16-2006, 01:46 PM
on the 'Lateralus' record, Maynard uses his actual voice to sing every lyric in 'Ticks & Leeches', it was supposedly the last track they recorded on the 'Lateralus' album, becuase Maynard voice was so wrecked after recording that song in the studio, it took over a month to recover from it. but- (it truly is his actual voice on the album) no synthesized, enhanced, megaphone bullshit, all Maynard on the studio recording of "Ticks and Leeches."

anymore tool knowledge nned to be dropped, simply ask.
i maybe a southern somobody, but i know my tool inside and out.

test OGT game. (not bragging, i just know more than average Laquacious around here)

I didnt know that, thanks for saying that. I really thought his voice was syntesized, even still its hard for me to believe it wasnt... It sounds almost inhumane, totally deformed on some occasions. Also, theres a cut on 6:13-6:14 part, it sounds like two separate long notes were montaged, i just cant imagine Maynard taking a new breath and continuing with the same note... So i guess, its not like he sung it from beginning to end but they recorded bunch of screams and combined them in one piece... But if Maynard's voice was not manipulated then its really amazing what he did... So thanks for pointing that out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av_2b3FRRJk

Thats a T&L performance with some vocal effects, i even think MJK screws up in the beginning when Adam shows him what to do:)

I havent heard Rosetta stoned live yet, i have some bootlegs but i havent listened to them. Im still familiarizing with the original.

NADIA90210
09-16-2006, 01:53 PM
i love that megaphone effect!

deppo
09-20-2006, 11:28 PM
same, cool effect

RidetheRhythm
09-27-2006, 11:52 AM
I thought the pipe-bomb mic was used for this song...

donjuanpedro
09-27-2006, 02:28 PM
pipe bomb mic was for guitar i thought. maybe not, someone go read that one article again.

christianxrojas
09-27-2006, 11:06 PM
tool megaphone is a microphone, a procesor, an equalization preset in the mixer, or what?

Yogho!
09-28-2006, 01:20 AM
its just a freaking megaphone, for those beginning fast lines for rosetta stoned or did you think that was maynarrd normal voice?

sweetbyt
10-02-2006, 02:24 AM

I was just wondering.

Ticks and Leeches too, but never appeared on stage while performing this song. I have seen Tool in concert and he did use the megaphone it all 3 concerts that I have been to and they were awesonm.

finnishwarrior
10-12-2006, 03:08 AM
They've never performed Ticks & Leeches live.

i remember reading some MJK interview where he said they've played it (ticks & leeches) once

kalebcc
10-13-2006, 07:02 PM
He sang some parts without the effect, like the Overwhelmed part, but it was all an octave lower than normal.

Basicly what hes saying is he lost this thought that could save all our asses from something horrible that could happen but he forgot it , If you dont understand read over it one more time u might get what im saying.

Kedzie_Matthews
10-13-2006, 07:16 PM
i remember reading some MJK interview where he said they've played it (ticks & leeches) once
The bootleg was up on distortion for a while, it sounded good live, even with the megaphone thing.

philipg
10-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Basicly what hes saying is he lost this thought that could save all our asses from something horrible that could happen but he forgot it , If you dont understand read over it one more time u might get what im saying.

???