PDA

View Full Version : Sexual Undertone? Completely Off Base?

bmeason
11-26-2002, 01:18 AM
I have read through this forum section and have found many great ideas for what this song is about. They have ranged from Abusive Relationships, Abusive Child Control, and Force feeding thoughts and ideas.

This being my favorite tool song I felt obligated to devulge my idea. It is completely off base according to some other ideas, but here it is:

I believe (or shall i say my interpretation of pushit) it is about a sexual partner using sex to control a lover and make them stay in the relationship. (Female Controlling Male)

"I saw the gap again today" - refrence to the female genitella
"As you were begging me to stay" - using it to control the relationship
"take care not to make me enter"
"cause if i do we both may dissapear"

Many other sexual inferences come around as well -

"rest your finger on my trigger" - obvious reference (if you are taking it the way i am.
"bang my head against the fault line" - once again an obvious reference
"slipping back into the gap again, i'm alive when you are touching me, alive when you are shoving me down" - sex/oral sex reference
I guess i could go on, but no need.

As to the describing of his angst in the relationship, that is where you come into choking the infant there before him, and what is this but his reflection (if you are in love you are one with your love). It does still however ring true with the troubled relationship theory, and the fact of destructing what they are now and rebuilding a better love and light is the only way to save their relationship.

"remember i will always love you, as i claw your fucking throat away"

I still however think the song has a very strong sexual undertone that makes the song very erotic. Some may think it is strange to view the song in this manner, but it is a very true emotion and a very connected one that comes with having sex and abusing the power of it. A power that can make AND destroy love.

This is just my opinion, and very much out there. But in this opinion is what makes the song special to me. Maynard's ability to provoke so many thoughts in so many people is a truly amazing gift.

Thanks for listening.

Remember to smile, stay positive, and be creative.

-Bryan Meason

ArthurDent
12-01-2002, 08:44 PM
I have also noticed sexual underontes, specific those of sexual abuse, in Pushit. I think that the song is somehow related to Prison Sex and Jimmy. The sexual undertones that you mentioned are more evident in the Salival version. Consider this quote from the song:

"I feel alive when you touch me. I feel alive when you hold me. I feel alive when you hold me down."

This sounds sort of like an abused person who, in a twisted way, enjoys the abuse. I'm not sure if Maynard takes the perspective of abuser and abused in Pushit (like he does in Prison Sex), but the perspective of a sexually abused person is definitely evident. Also, the lines "Who am I to judge or strike you down" and, "You still love me, pushit on me" seem like the victim is afraid and/or unwilling to raise a hand to stop the abuse.

Jerk off
12-11-2002, 10:36 AM
i have always thought of this song in a sexual tone. My major belief is that its about Two people who were in "love" i use that term loosly. Now one of them is having Second thoughts about the relationship, while the other one still in "love" with them. They are tying to back away and get out of the relationship with out hurting the other person. That person Just keeps pushing it back on them and there is no other choice but to seperate violently.
The reason there is a sexual undertone is becuse there was a sexual undertone in the relationship.
MW
Sorry about the shitty spelling

J1516
12-11-2002, 04:27 PM
I really think it has somewhat of a sexual undertone, but the song isn't entirely about sex. I think that maynard wanted us to go to a comfortable and vulnerable place in the live version because during sex you are at a raw and extremely vulnerable position. I never really saw any sexual undertone in jimmy or even in Prison Sex. I think this song has many many many different meanings that all fit, and probably all are the actual meaning. Love isn't really love between two people. Not entirely. But I would agree that there is a sexual undertone.

axe3939
12-22-2002, 04:30 PM
i think that the persona of the song is annoyed and frustrated that he is controlled so much by his hormones. he does not want to stay in the relationship but he stays bcoz he still desires his partner sexually. and then by juxtaposing the images of violence with the love and longing u get the pain associated with staying with the partner, showing that emotionally he really wants to leave coz the relationship hurts him.