PDA

View Full Version : The intro sound

duncang
09-14-2006, 07:08 AM
I think its a saw, hacking its way into Maynard's conscience. When Judith died, I'm sure his thoughts on her beliefs didn't IMMEDIATELY change, I'm sure he was still pretty anti-Christian but as time went by he was thinking more and more, the memories of Judith cutting into his brain, and his perspective gradually changed. It was at this point he decided to make the lyrics to these two songs about his mother, as it was a) Emotionally fuelled musically and b) of Tool's opinion that it was one of the best songs they had ever written.

The other sound in the intro compliments this. While her death is sinking in, he is getting more frustrated at himself, the rhythm is droning, like a headache.

mr. nikki jensen
09-14-2006, 07:11 AM
The other sound in the intro compliments this. While her death is sinking in, he is getting more frustrated at himself, the rhythm is droning, like a headache.

i thought of this as well after a few listens.... it must be a hell to have that kind of headache or tinnitus aurum inside the head matching this intro

OMG!

-StaX
09-14-2006, 07:24 AM
I defiantly agree this is one of their best, if not the best song on 10,000 days.
I really like the idea of the saw, but I always thought of this as wings, being held down for the track until he says "Time for us to let you go" then the wings fade as if they're leaving us; the wings carrying Judith's spirit to heaven.
Not really sure what the noise after that is supposed to represent though, if anything.
Any ideas?

duncang
09-14-2006, 07:27 AM
I think you mean "Time for you to bring me home", because the end of Wings For Marie doesn't have the sound, just the beginning and the end of 10,000 Days.

-StaX
09-14-2006, 07:42 AM
I can hear it at the end of wings, it's really quiet and fades fast. It's almost silent before the big noise. I know it's at the end of 10,000 days aswell but i'm sure i can hear it on both.

duncang
09-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Sorry, what?

The saw sound is at the beginning of Wings For Marie, and at the very end of 10,000 Days (Wings Pt. 2). Thats it as far as I know.