PDA

View Full Version : relationships?

will_gt
09-13-2006, 06:41 PM
you people really need to stop taking things so literally. not everything has to do with your silly high school drama. "oh my god billy broke up with me" "we can work this out. its, like, that tool song about the peices"

wake up. the song is about the tower of babel. from the bible. some key points. the tower was demolished by god. it fell into many fiery peices. when the people got up, they all spoke different languages. therefore they could not rebuild the tower.(they were trying to build it high enough to reach heaven.) hence the song's lyrics that state "bring the peices back together, rediscover communication."

the song has a clear message. unless socity as a whole learns to work together, or come together if you will and communicate a bit instead of fighting, with the wars and whatnot, we will never reach that next plateau. we will never evolve as a socity.

relationships, jeez.

TheJuiceOfSatan
09-15-2006, 01:11 PM
of course its about relationships. its about communication. its about being separated when we should be together. its about many things, which makes it a great song.

livingxdeadxrainy
09-20-2006, 10:52 AM
you people really need to stop taking things so literally. not everything has to do with your silly high school drama. "oh my god billy broke up with me" "we can work this out. its, like, that tool song about the peices"

wake up. the song is about the tower of babel. from the bible. some key points. the tower was demolished by god. it fell into many fiery peices. when the people got up, they all spoke different languages. therefore they could not rebuild the tower.(they were trying to build it high enough to reach heaven.) hence the song's lyrics that state "bring the peices back together, rediscover communication."

the song has a clear message. unless socity as a whole learns to work together, or come together if you will and communicate a bit instead of fighting, with the wars and whatnot, we will never reach that next plateau. we will never evolve as a socity.

relationships, jeez.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to this song with a "high school drama" attitude, especially in such a valley girl type way (even though I understand that was just a way of making your point) but maybe I haven't been around enough people to do so.

And if this song is about the tower of babel, what about lines like:
"between supposed lovers'"
"set two lovers' souls in motion"
"No fault, none to blame
It doesn't mean I don't desire to"?

Mr. Electric Ocean
09-20-2006, 11:41 AM
I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to this song with a "high school drama" attitude, especially in such a valley girl type way (even though I understand that was just a way of making your point) but maybe I haven't been around enough people to do so.

And if this song is about the tower of babel, what about lines like:
"between supposed lovers'"
"set two lovers' souls in motion"
"No fault, none to blame
It doesn't mean I don't desire to"?

Dude I think she got you on that one.

FatherMuck
09-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Heh. One post and it sucked. *prepares to be flamed for "He's entitled to his own opinion so stfu" . . . *

livingxdeadxrainy
09-21-2006, 09:15 AM
Heh. One post and it sucked. *prepares to be flamed for "He's entitled to his own opinion so stfu" . . . *

Well, not only did his post suck, his opinion sucked too
xD
Now I'll probably get flamed for that one...

PriceisRight
09-21-2006, 12:23 PM
xD

I agree with you

martyrinexile86
09-21-2006, 05:07 PM
xD

Well, aren't we on a roll? lol

HelenA
09-22-2006, 03:00 AM
It continually amazes me how we MAKE (force?) the pieces fit our ideas about what we think the song is about. I totally agree that it is fine to interpret the songs with respect to our experience but there is a real danger of over-analyzing when we throw out half the song in order to make the pieces fit.

livingxdeadxrainy
09-22-2006, 06:57 AM
I agree with you

Go me! No flame-age afterall!

martyrinexile86
09-22-2006, 06:59 AM
I agree. Songs are subjective, as is just about everything else. People do interpret songs based on what they feel. A song comes along that pertains to how one is feeling at a particular time, so for them each subsequent listen is going to bring those feelings to the surface again. Music at times can force you to confront things about yourself that wouldn't ever really want to admit (as is the case with Tool, at least for me, anyway). I feel that sometimes however, people have a tendency to want to attach a concrete meaning to songs, thus nullifying it's subjectivity. Often times it seems people will get an idea about what it will be about, but not allow room for other theories or ideas. The very thing Tool encourages, it seems some people aren't doing.

livingxdeadxrainy
09-22-2006, 07:00 AM
Well, aren't we on a roll? lol

On a roll like whoa :-P

<8>jF<8>
10-09-2006, 08:48 AM

relationships, jeez.

Now, IMO, I agree with you that Schism is about more than petty boyfriend/girlfriend relationships, but the word 'relationship' is merely a connection, association, or involvement, as defined by dictionary.com. So, really, everyone has a relationship with everybody else, some just arn't as friendly as others, ya know? I think this song's about relationships, yes, just on multiple levels. Simply put, it's not so simple.

Slip Away Insanity
10-14-2006, 07:22 AM

relationships, jeez.

I personally dont think that the song is about the tower of babble. but i understand where your getting that, but thats why I love Tool so much. Their songs can be interpreted so many differnt ways that everyone has a differnt opinion about each song. I mean alot of people think that Schism is about relationships, but there is alot of variation as to what kind of relationship; romantic, friend, etc. This song is about sharing differnt opinions about Tool and their songs right? Well Kudos on the new interpritation.