PDA

View Full Version : adaptation

ParanoidMartyr
05-15-2003, 11:00 PM
i find quite difficult to comment in a song like this, that has no direct refferent to hang on (unlike third eye where everybody is talking about buddhism and chakras) and stays in the very abstract plane.

anyway, what i wanted to share is that Bottom could be the first song that takes the adaptation motive that eventually resurrects in aenema as stinkfist (more oriented to the consumism) and in lateralus almost in every song as verses or elements (from "hang on or bu humbled again" to "watch the weather change").

what really moves me about the song is the duality of it. consider that it is composed mainly by two parts: the 'feeling ugly' one and the reaction to it. ironically, the rhythm and the melody itself draw the first part as a more violent, anguish one, and the secong as a slow, reflective one.
this part, the spoken one, kinda reminds me to the bill hicks abstracts in other songs. it certainly sounds like the total opposite of a selfsteem speech.

that would turn Bottom into almost two separate songs in terms of intensity of music and way of facing the same issue.

what i see at the end is that recognizing himself as dead is a progression -believe it or not-: it may be a spiritual death, or resignation to his constitution as a falible human; yet he is strong enough to fight for it, for the vulnerability, "by making weapons out of his imperfections". wouldn't this be the most perfect way of adaption at a difficult situation? this turns him probably into the strongest one because neither the negative side nor the positive side hurts -he's dead inside!-, thus making him able to live from the hatred and the rest of the things as said at the end. it is the bottom of life, yes, but at least he won't fall again as said in Sober -"I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down"-.

Nirvana
05-15-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by ParanoidMartyr

what i see at the end is that recognizing himself as dead is a progression -believe it or not-: it may be a spiritual death, or resignation to his constitution as a falible human; yet he is strong enough to fight for it, for the vulnerability, "by making weapons out of his imperfections". wouldn't this be the most perfect way of adaption at a difficult situation? this turns him probably into the strongest one because neither the negative side nor the positive side hurts -he's dead inside!-, thus making him able to live from the hatred and the rest of the things as said at the end. it is the bottom of life, yes, but at least he won't fall again as said in Sober -"I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down"-.

As for i read this, i thought you were talking about "Learning From Your Mistakes" otherwise, "By Making Weapons Out Of His Imperfections", as you put it.

If you truly mean this, as for the same reason, i can understand you, as not, i dont!

But still its a interesting participation.. (if i spelled it right)!

*Hoping He Spelled Participation The Right Way*

SatresThirdEye
05-17-2003, 12:05 PM
I thought this song was another military refferenceing song. When I listen to it, lines like his 'compassion is broken' his 'will is eroded' his 'desire is stolen'

He talks about how his 'soul is burning' and how hes been 'hatred fed' 'guilt fed' and so on.

I think Intolerence is a song about the military (hence, lie cheat and steal). And I think bottum goes along with that same vien. Try going over the song with that in mind, see what you think.

ParanoidMartyr
05-17-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Nirvana
As for i read this, i thought you were talking about "Learning From Your Mistakes" otherwise, "By Making Weapons Out Of His Imperfections", as you put it.

If you truly mean this, as for the same reason, i can understand you, as not, i dont!

But still its a interesting participation.. (if i spelled it right)!

*Hoping He Spelled Participation The Right Way*

i dunno what you mean by "learning from your mistakes".
also, i don't what you mean by 'if you trule mean this'.

as for the other reply that's a little bit more clear: yeah, undertow is filled with the military motives or so i've read around here. am not saying that bottom is completely about adaptation, but that i see something strong related to it. i'll try to keep your idea in my mind, though.

Nirvana
05-17-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by ParanoidMartyr
i dunno what you mean by "learning from your mistakes".
also, i don't what you mean by 'if you trule mean this'.

as for the other reply that's a little bit more clear: yeah, undertow is filled with the military motives or so i've read around here. am not saying that bottom is completely about adaptation, but that i see something strong related to it. i'll try to keep your idea in my mind, though.

you said "By Making Weapons Out Of His Imperfections", and i ask, what do you mean by this words?

i thought you ment to say "To Learn From Your Mistakes"...

if you trully ment to say "Learn From Your Mistakes", then i know what you were talking about, if you didnt mean that, then i dont understand you....

do you get me now?

ParanoidMartyr
05-24-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Nirvana
you said "By Making Weapons Out Of His Imperfections", and i ask, what do you mean by this words?

i thought you ment to say "To Learn From Your Mistakes"...

i was quoting the song. remember the spoken part? somewhere in between the voice says that in order to survive, he needs to make weapons out of his imperfections.

that doesn't mean necessarily to learn from your mistakes, which leads to my point: it's about adaptation. instead of rearranging the situation and correcting the errors as it properly must be done, this guy (the one singing, let it be Maynard or just another person) uses what he has without asking for more. he adapts himself to himself instead of to the environment. funny, huh?

peace.