PDA

View Full Version : Sex with his Anima?

SatresThirdEye
05-15-2003, 06:19 AM
I was thinking this song was about his struggle with his Anima. Thats the female part of himself that he represses. The thing that prevents him from feeling whole. Lines like "what is this but my reflection?" allude to this idea. And "choke this infant here before me" is him trying to strangle out his Anima.

But his Anima is "pushing and shoving him"

"Rest your trigger on my finger,
bang my head upon the fault line.
Take care not to make me enter.
'cause if I do we both may disappear."

I belive is reffering to the fact that if he consumates with his anima then both he and his repressed unconcious female side will both cease to exsist as seperate parts of himself. Implying that "they" would become one, and he would lose himself.

If you read through what proceeds I think it demonstrates a confrotation, a push and pull, a love hate realtionship with his Anima.

"Saw that gap again today
As you were begging me to stay.
Managed to push myself away,
And you, as well."

Stuggleing against the influence of his Anima.

"Staring down the hole again.
Hands upon my back again.
Survival is my only friend.
Terrified of what may come."

He's concous of his Anima, he feels it as a part of him, he wants to survive as who he is and is afraid of what he may become, of loseing his identity.

"If, when I say I may fade like a sigh if I stay,
You minimize my movement anyway,
I must persuade you another way"

If he stays with his Anima he'll fade away, lose himself, but the repressed female side of him tries to hold him back anyway (maybe an allusion to the song Hush), he tries to persuade his Anima to let him stay as who he is.

"There is no love in fear"

He comes to conclusion that he has to reject his Anima.

"Just remember I will always love you,
Even as I tear your fucking throat away.
But it will end no other way."

He loves himself and his Anima as part of who he is, but he has to destory it, to tear its throat away, to save himself, to save his identity and who he is, "it will end no other way".

--Thats just my very broad interpretation of the song, the whole album has that Anima theme going on. jimmy comes before this song, which is him searching for his lost Anima, this is him finding it, and his subsequent struggle with it. Let me know what you think.

Mehhico
05-15-2003, 03:11 PM
Ah, good post dude. I think along very similar tracks for the entire album.

My opinion on the anima thing in this song is kind of reversed of what you were saying though. I thought that generally, we never give the anima any time to grow(?) or we ignore the pushing and shoving.

In a lot of the lyrics (on the whole album) it sounds as if we need to reconnect to our shadow (or unconscious, or anima, souls, whatever), but this is the part of ourselves which we have suppressed for soo long. There is a lot of trauma (very general), and skeletons which may scare us. That is why there cannot be any love in fear. We have to grab it by the throat and deal with it.

SatresThirdEye
05-15-2003, 07:30 PM
Good call, I didnt think of it from the reverse perspective, but I agree that the whole theme of Enema/clenseing and Anima/finding your repressed self is a vien that runs true through the whole album. I think your idea fits more with the reconnection concept thats prevelent in the album, since maynard seems to be all about the unity and interconnectedness both of internal identities and people as a whole.

ry.
05-30-2003, 05:50 PM
im a little confused in reading your post, i am familiar with jung, but just to clarify,

are you speaking of his anima, as in the represssed consciousness

or

a person that he (the character in the song) believes matches his anima, in other words, his true love?

Pro_Art
05-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by ry.
are you speaking of his anima, as in the represssed consciousness

or

a person that he (the character in the song) believes matches his anima, in other words, his true love?
une

Peace,
Pro Art (Protocol Artisan)