PDA

View Full Version : Themes in Tool-related art

evilentity
11-25-2002, 09:28 PM
Ever notice some of the recurrent themes in Tool's visual artistry?

The human body/bodily organs/bodily functions
Slimy reptilian-like creatures/insects/gland or other objects in a mucous-like fluid (including the eye)
Forks/fork-like hands
Humanoid creatures, usually one gigantic one in a dominating role over a smaller one, often confined to some bounded space
Ominous men in suits

This is by no means an exhaustive list.

evilentity
11-25-2002, 09:46 PM
oh, and I forgot about cattle/farm animals... both in their art and on the albums.

chewy
12-08-2002, 06:43 PM
how could one forget the motif of eyes in tool's art? this is a very big one, especially in lateralus. one of my favorite images of tool's is the large flaming eye inside the ring of eyes that is played during the grudge at concerts. something about hearing the digeridoo and watching that eye flame as the guys start the grudge just does it for me every time.

Misoanthropos
12-13-2002, 01:40 AM
its all from adam's head up until lateralus...then it was all from alex grey's head....

i SERIOUSLY doubt either of them sat down and interpreted lyrics of any sort to create their art...there are recurring themes, yes...but that is simply adam going "this looks cool" more than likely meaning that it is coming from his subconcious and you would have to break down adam jone's personal psychology, background/history, subconcious and preconcious, as well as artistic background, influences, and the like...

and alex grey's art is his own...themes for the art in lateralus can be seen in older stuff he's done...