PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts

D.W.A.D.
09-08-2006, 02:11 PM
I read an earlier post that contained a quote about the concept of an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other, and it really made me think.

The thing that stuck out in my head was that the words Heaven and Hell both begin with an H. One of the most accepted theories that I've read deals with addiction and being unable to distance oneself from it voluntarily. My thought was that this song was perhaps an earlier example of the spirituality that was displayed so prominently on Lateralus.

The antagonist of the song, the snake, to me is the (somewhat obvious) representation of sin. It is said that humans cannot separate themselves from sin, which fits in nicely with the aforementioned concept of being bonded to whatever negative force you think the snake represents.

"Days away, I, still feel you, touchin me, changin me" -- I interpreted that as guilt or any stain on the conscience from sinning, and/or how it affects oneself and one's decisions even after it has been forgiven.

Now back to the title -- There have been so many thoughts as to what the famous "H" stands for, and I am of the belief that it was made purposely open-ended for just this reason. The thought that popped into my mind was that you have a choice of what it means to you -- Heaven or Hell -- and we as humans will always be able to choose our path.

This is just what the song means to me, and I know it's not the accepted interpretation but I just thought I'd share it with you guys. :D

The part that through me for a loop was "considerately killing me" -- like I said it's not the most well-thought-out interpretation but I like it :D

parables in the world
09-08-2006, 08:29 PM
thats what i've thought as well just never felt like posting it because you know these forums. it makes more sense.

D.W.A.D.
09-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks parables,

You're right, some on here are convinced that only they have the right idea, which is pretty much anathema to the concept of interpretation that is promoted.

Gotta love this song though, that's for sure :D

fretforyourfigure462
10-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Agreed.

You just put it in a more more clearer way than I was thinking.

I give you props.

TomateAcido
10-15-2006, 08:08 AM
Not only Heaven and Hell, Human also begins with a H

maele
11-02-2006, 06:38 AM
I completely think of this song stating and accepting, then overcoming addiction. Not any certain addiction, but addiction in general. I find that this song is a very dark and powerful acceptance of ones own physical need for a substance or situation. I also think that you could substitute addiction for depression and the song would make just as much sense. 'I am too connected to slip away, fade away, days away I still feel you touching me, changing me. Consideretly killing me...", It's beautiful and so caring and delicate for situations that are usually not so opena nd in your face and I think Maynard/TOOL created complete and uter beauty, I would'nt expect any less....

realitysassasin
11-02-2006, 05:44 PM
H=Heroin?

maggie72
11-14-2006, 02:54 PM
H= half full/half empty

I've tried interpreting this song, but I just can't come to a conclusion. Just when I think I have it, there is a line in the song that just doesn't make sense.

Good luck to all who try.

notregistered
11-15-2006, 01:51 AM
I used to think it was about heroin, too. "days away I still feel you touching me. changing me." sounds like withdrawl or craving a drug while being off it.
but heroin is one thing and it's "both totally void of hate".
H. is his son's middle name. the song, to me, is about how maynard was abused as a child and how he gets angry sometimes and might want to harm his son and his son's mom, but resists his feelings to repeat the vicious cycle. it's a beautiful, emotional song either way

Harrymanfeet
11-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Maynard's birth name is James HERBERT Keenan it seems on aenima he played off of his real name several times another example is the track entitled "jimmy" short for James I dunno if it has nething to do with Maynard but thought I'd post it cuz I hadn't seen it posted yet...