PDA

View Full Version : Applying Bill Hicks

benson
05-14-2003, 02:54 PM
it's evident that Aenima is in some way a homage to Bill Hicks, and I didn't realize how much of it relates...you can tie in some of the songs on the album with a Bill Hicks reference somehow...
-Eulogy, could be interpreted to be about Hicks.
-Message to Harry Manback, i thought i've heard seagulls on a Hicks recording (don't quote me on that, i might have just been tired and imagined it...?) Nevertheless, even the music sounds like Bill Hicks style, especially with the water
-Hooker with a Penis, some of the audible whispering heard in the song is the words of Bill Hicks off of Relentless...
-Aenema, obvious
-(-) ions, the 'air' sound is similar to the sound that recurs a few times on Relentless, and someone said in the ions forum a while back that the electrical blips can be heard on Arizona Bay (just speculating, the 'whispers' in this song might be from a Hicks recording...?)
-Third Eye, obvious
Just a few that are on the surface. Anyone else apply some other deeper connections?

noresolution
05-22-2003, 11:08 PM
not to mention that the whole LA falling into the ocean thing was part of bill's act. one of his albums is called "arizona bay" because after LA dissapears, thats all that will be left

benson
05-23-2003, 09:53 AM
hence, the word 'obvious' after Aenema...

PrivBailey
05-26-2003, 07:42 PM
The whole third eye song is about a positive drug experiene. Bill Hicks was talking about how the news never give good drug stories. That why you hear heres Tom with the weather

Zargix
06-12-2003, 11:49 AM
yeah, those whole quotes from third eye, if I remember correctly, are actually recordings of some of bill hicks' routines

brettmck10
06-27-2003, 08:39 PM
bill hicks is dead the aeneeema album is over, we're moving up, out and on to the next level please have you....god bless them both i feel a big shit coming on...oh it reminds me of the album, i feel abit lonely right now...better go find that lyric to sooth the hell, fuck this fuck that maynard wants light, your dead, wake up and put on your make up and go outside and talk to someone...fucken dead beats

stalkingbutler
07-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Were you trying to be clever, with that stream of bullshit.?

somniferousalmondeye
09-03-2006, 02:27 AM
bill hicks is dead the aeneeema album is over, we're moving up, out and on to the next level please have you....god bless them both i feel a big shit coming on...oh it reminds me of the album, i feel abit lonely right now...better go find that lyric to sooth the hell, fuck this fuck that maynard wants light, your dead, wake up and put on your make up and go outside and talk to someone...fucken dead beats

WTF? OK, wake up, put on a little make up, go to the system of a down fan site or something with your unoriginal ramblings.

charliehodge
10-05-2006, 04:07 PM
I think most people in here agree Aenema is the greatest album of all time. I believe the reason Tool were able to make such an album is because of the passing of Bill. Through the pain of losing an inspiration and friend they were all able to lift their creativity to another level.

I am sure I have read Maynard quote "with out pain there is neither the will or the desire to create"

Well, I found out about Bill through his picture on the album sleeve but if I had known about him before his death that day he died would have been brutal. Maynard was actually able to see Bill perform live and they were becoming good friends. Bill is all over the album in more than just ideas and clips but really in spirit.

Another dead hero
Bill Hicks (1961-1994)

Hindu
10-24-2006, 06:05 AM
it's evident that Aenima is in some way a homage to Bill Hicks, and I didn't realize how much of it relates...you can tie in some of the songs on the album with a Bill Hicks reference somehow...
-Eulogy, could be interpreted to be about Hicks.
-Message to Harry Manback, i thought i've heard seagulls on a Hicks recording (don't quote me on that, i might have just been tired and imagined it...?) Nevertheless, even the music sounds like Bill Hicks style, especially with the water
-Hooker with a Penis, some of the audible whispering heard in the song is the words of Bill Hicks off of Relentless...
-Aenema, obvious
-(-) ions, the 'air' sound is similar to the sound that recurs a few times on Relentless, and someone said in the ions forum a while back that the electrical blips can be heard on Arizona Bay (just speculating, the 'whispers' in this song might be from a Hicks recording...?)
-Third Eye, obvious
Just a few that are on the surface. Anyone else apply some other deeper connections?

Awesome. I didn't know about some of these. Very Cool. I love learning new shit about this album even 10 years after its release.