PDA

View Full Version : Production of this song...Layers...

elevation
09-08-2006, 10:33 AM
What do you guys think of the production of this song? I fucking love it, especially what they did with MJK's voice. The beginning, the insanely trippy "Strapped down to my bed..." part, the echoes after "E motherfucking T," the rising of his scream before "Overwhelmed as one would be..." (which might be my favorite part on this whole album), all the way to the growling in the background of his voice at the very end with the "Don't know, won't know" part.

The rest of the band sounds at their best, too, with Justin and Adam weaving through and interlocking with each other to make such a psychedelic sound, like nothing I've ever really heard. The production is just masterful. There are so many sonic layers to this track.

It's just fucking sick as hell, all of it, don't you agree?

CaseLogic
09-08-2006, 10:43 AM
I agree

Shantzy Boy
09-11-2006, 10:41 AM
I agree, too. I just can't wait till I can comprehend it a little better. The time signatures in this song are totally crazy, especially right at the very end. If anyone could explain to me what's going on there, that would be awesome, because it boggles my mind with my quite limited musical theory knowledge..

Terry21
09-11-2006, 12:01 PM
What do you guys think of the production of this song? I fucking love it, especially what they did with MJK's voice. The beginning, the insanely trippy "Strapped down to my bed..." part, the echoes after "E motherfucking T," the rising of his scream before "Overwhelmed as one would be..." (which might be my favorite part on this whole album), all the way to the growling in the background of his voice at the very end with the "Don't know, won't know" part.

The rest of the band sounds at their best, too, with Justin and Adam weaving through and interlocking with each other to make such a psychedelic sound, like nothing I've ever really heard. The production is just masterful. There are so many sonic layers to this track.

This is exactly what makes me love the whole album and get angry at people being so sure in thinking that this album is worse than the others. Thank you! Well put!

ufopancakes
09-11-2006, 08:21 PM
When the album was coming out... I didnt expect the greatest, I didn't expect the worst... I just tried to expect the unexpected... Which, with Tool is putting your mind outside normal boundaries and trying to percieve something the mind will never fully comprehend.. like the idea of infinity. But yeah... I loved the album... just as much as Lateralus and Aenima. Masterpieces.

deppo
09-17-2006, 10:41 PM

For sure, I cant imagine how long they must have spent structuring and putting this song together between the 4 of them, production aside, just getting it to a stage where it fit together structurally and then learning to play it as a band must have been a monumental undertaking. The timing throughout is just fucking mental. I cant believe they are pulling it off live.

duncang
09-18-2006, 09:08 AM
The production is excellent, except for the "You'd better..." section. Annoys me.

Snakedragon
09-19-2006, 12:59 AM
The fast vocals are pretty trippy, because it seems as he's recorded himself twice, and used one channel for left and right respectively

mr. nikki jensen
09-19-2006, 08:31 AM
When the album was coming out... I didnt expect the greatest, I didn't expect the worst... I just tried to expect the unexpected... Which, with Tool is putting your mind outside normal boundaries and trying to percieve something the mind will never fully comprehend.. like the idea of infinity. But yeah... I loved the album... just as much as Lateralus and Aenima. Masterpieces.

amen