PDA

View Full Version : Crowley referance.

frater aaa
11-25-2002, 08:36 PM
"Do what Thou Wilt Shall be the Whole of the Law."

Thats right, the imfamous beast agin. What is it this time? Adam jones knows. Why is it a Mantra? Well, the entire thing is done by Adam Jones on his guitar, and not to sound pretensious (and I hate when other people do) but here goes.
The manta is actually UIAOU-- as in uuuuh-eeeee--aaaaaa--ooooooo---uuuuuuuh where the second uuuh is an octave lower. The mantra signifies the great work complete in the child. Also its full qabalistic value is 93. The aeonic current, the force of love and will, or Thelema and Agape.
I do not think that any other interpretation would do the truth justice, for this mantra is one that would have a deep meaning for all of TOOL. Try it as a mantra UIAOU, or as crowley wrote it, FIAOF, where the F is the letter Vau.
I only say that this is most likely it because of the massive amount of respect (and knowledge) of aleister crowleys works to know what they were doing (or at least adam jones).
Hopefully this clarifies things. Later
"Love is the Law, Love under Will."

matthew
11-26-2002, 08:20 AM
Very weird coincidence, i just happened to be reading that very quote for the first time in a book when I was viewing your post. The book is the NECRONOMICA; I am reading for information on Crowley and H.P. Lovecraft. It is difficult to understand fist time through so I am forced to re-read most of it. Would you mind going into a little more detail with your explanation? I am very interested. Thnak you

M

ragna16
11-26-2002, 09:49 AM
I always wondered what was sacred about it, and your explanation makes sense. Thank you.

frater aaa
11-26-2002, 08:18 PM
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law."

Since I have been asked, I suppose I will give a more lengthier explanation.

Primarily, the original formula of I.A.O. was one of the redemption of mankind. This was the formula of christ, and of Osiris, as well as dionysus, and just about the redmption of any god of any religion. This is the formula of man made god.
I is Isis, the mother, in which are are born in the womb of, our world, nature. A is Apohis, the destoyer. but concealed in this destroyer is concealed the rebirth. This is the dark night of the soul, or the period of meditation in which the work becomes sour. The trance the budhists call sorrow.
The O is Osiris, the one who comes out, the god aspect of the man.

It was also demonstrated by christ, in the form of I.N.R.I.

I suppose to help more explanation of the true importance of this, I will quote the Master Therion.

"The doctrine of resurection as vulgarly understood is false and absurd. It is not even "Scriptural". St. Paul does not identify the glorified body which rises with the mortal body which dies. On the contrary, he repeatedly insists on the distinction.

The same is true of magical ceremony. The Magician who is destroyed by absorbtion in the Godhead is really destroyed. The miserable mortal automaton remains in the Circle. It is of no more consequence to Him than the dust on the floor.

But before enetering into the detail of I.A.O. as a magick formula it should be remarked that it is essentially the formula of Yoga, or Meditation; in fact, of elementary mysticism in all its branches.

In beginning a meditation practice, there is always a quiet pleasure, a gentle natural growth; one takes lively interest in the work; it seems easy; one is quite pleased to have started. This state represents Isis (I). Sooner or later it is succeeded by depresion- the Dark Night of the Soul {note- The shadow, or 46+2, the step to christ conciousness} an infinite weariness and detestation of the work. The simplest and easiest tasks become amost impossible to perform. Such impotence fills the mind with apprehension and despair. The intensity of this loathing can hardly be understood by any person who has not experienced it. This period is Apophis (A).

It is followed by the arising not of Isis, but Osiris. The ancient condition is not restored, but a new and superior condtion, a condition only rendered possible by the process of death.

The Alchemists themselves taught this same truth. The first matter of the work was base and primitive, though "natural". After passing through various stages, the "Black Dragon" appeared; but from this arose a pure and perfect Gold."

I added that last paragraph to show the connection of it in context of this album. The grudge is the best example of this proccess as well. For "Saturn" is the waters of life, in which our lead grudges are thrown to create the pure gold.

Now, the addition of the two U's are what make this mantra so sacred. For Aleister Crowley took this word I.A.O, and reconstructed it to match up with this new aeon. By adding the two Vau's (hebrew letter) he made the words total 93. 93 is of extreme significance, because that is the current that initiated the world the way it is, and why all of us children are flowering. For the V represents Osiris Throwned and Crowned with Wand, making this a symbol of the manifestation of the truth, the Man-God raining over the earth, and cming into full spritual flower. This is the current that will initiate the grand war. V is also the Hexagram which ubite god and man. OUR CONCIOUNESS, or the ruach. It represents the manifest star, the man in realization of his true nature or Will (which is also 93). (for more on 93, see my post in refelction called "93 current?")

I end withone last Crowley quote.
"In the Aeon of Osiris {that last age} it was indeed realised that man must die in order to live. But now, in the Aeon of Horus, we know that every event is a death; subject and object slay each other in "Love under Will"; each death is itself life, the means by which one realises oneself in a series of episodes."

I think that does a good basic introduction to it. See, the one thing most people do not think about TOOL is that it goes deeper that anyone can see on the surface.Like Alice and the Rabbit hole. TOOL is our hole, and Crowley is our big white rabbit, the one we are chasing after, but always missing around the next corner. To truely understand TOOL, read Crowley, him being one of their biggest influences (actually, probably thee biggest). That is the reason I started reading his works in the first place, and it all made sense. I highly recomend "Magick: In Theory and Practice" by Aleister Crowley if you are interested in his work.

Until next time.
"Love is the Law, Love under Will."

matthew
11-27-2002, 07:51 AM
Thank you very much for that elaboration. I have been doing research on Crowley but not enough to fully understand. I agree with your last paragraph more that you oculd understand.

ShackledEidolon
11-27-2002, 08:43 AM
"In the Aeon of Osiris {that last age} it was indeed realised that man must die in order to live. But now, in the Aeon of Horus, we know that every event is a death; subject and object slay each other in "Love under Will"; each death is itself life, the means by which one realises oneself in a series of episodes."

Fascinating. The lyrics in H should mean more to many on this forum then before when we think of how we are killing those around us without hate. That by experiencing life with another and sharing these moments we both die together every moment ending to bring about a new beauty. As I have always felt an important part of Tools lyrics, or lack of lyrics in some cases, is that they tell a story of rebirth from pain or discomfort or loss or sacrafice. All these things are essential. We must experience the things before us with happiness and love but not be afraid to destroy it or give it up in order to become or find something still greater. We in fact define ourselves as was stated in a way in this quote by the ways that we die.

frater aaa
11-27-2002, 03:50 PM
At any time, the making of any god is the same. A complete loss of self, a deep wallowing or despai. This is the bottom of the barrel so to speak. The true redeemer of man is always betrayed, always crucified. This is what we see happening all over the world. Thats why we have "depression" now. So many spirits are getting dragged down by a system that is entirely manmade. But us, WE and I mean we, are the heirs to the birthright. we are the down trodden, the opressed, and more and more people are begining to open their eyes to the truth that the sytem doesnt want us to see. The bigger picture. The reason humanity IS. It is not why we are, but WHAT we are. Spirtual machines. Each person a seperate god. Your own osiris. The workings of this is the revelation of The Book of the Law, DICTATED to Aleister Crowley in 1904 in order to bring about the Ji'Haad, when the angels of God take up arms against man and christ. For in this age, the saints have become demons, because they only preach restriction. No more for the Child, and no more for us. we are free, and permanent. We re immortal, omnipotent and omnipresent. "For we are all ONE mind, which is capable of all thats imagined and conceivable."

We all have but to realize this potential, and gather together. For we have Thelema (greek for will) as our battle cry. "FREE WILL FOR ALL." For the whole of the law is do what thou wilt.

And do not worry for our time will come soon.
If anyone wishes to read the book which inspired crowley, Tool, and many other, and which initiated an entire new era for mankind. Go to www.aiwass.com

Blessing and worship to the prophet of the star and the Snake.
Blessing to the Children of Light who shall bear the wrath of the true God, the eternal mind, and free will of all.

bigmyke
02-16-2004, 05:10 PM
hey, newbie here.
i just scored a nice first edition of "The Neverending Story", and noticed on the back in the middle of an ourobouros, the words "do what you wish".
so i ended up here while googling for a link between Michael Ende (author) and Crowley, or any mystic stuff at all really. I can't find anything though.
Anyway, it's a fantastic book about the power and importance of imagination, and i'm sure if someone more adept than i read it, they'd find all kinds of magickal symbolism in there. I'm curious about this? can anyone help, or point me somewhere more relevant?

Stalkz
02-16-2004, 06:04 PM
I knew there was Crowley references in Tools music (What with the huge list of his books on Carey's site alone) I just didn't know what they were.

Good times indeed. Thanks for pointing it out.

AllforUnity
03-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Go online to a university site, and try to get a copy of The Fourth Book, by Crowly.

RRed
03-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Majick Without Tears is a good book to get a general understanding of what Crowely is suggesting...

RRed

AllforUnity
03-04-2004, 05:00 PM
Where can you get that?

RRed
03-04-2004, 11:44 PM
Where can you get that?

I would just order it online... I bet you could find it that way... I just found this place in my town that did Tarot Card readings and they have tons of Crowley stuff.... That may be an idea for you...

RRed