PDA

View Full Version : Crickets

Shantzy Boy
09-06-2006, 06:22 AM
Has anyone ever listened to crickets chirping at night chirping just a tiny bit out of sync with one another? It sounds incredible... Every now and then they chirp at exactly the same time but then almost immediately go out of sync again.

Anyway, that's what I think of when I hear the "shit the bed" parts in Rosetta Stoned, and especially during the part right at the end of the song... fucking incredible, blows my mind and my load every time i hear it...

Does anyone else hear this? And if you understand how it works, could you maybe explain it to me?

Shantzy Boy
09-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Does no one else hear anything like this? Listen to the very end of the song.. it sounds like all 4 instruments (Maynard's voice being the 4th) are out of sync from one another and seem to get closer and closer together until right at the end when Maynard says "God damn, shit the bed" they all hit at the same spot... what's the deal, am i just crazy, or are they actually doing something really f-ing bizarre there?

If this has been discussed already, I'm really sorry, I couldn't find the thread.. but I could really use some feedback so I know how crazy I am... thanks..

The Greenster
09-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I believe it's some sort of musical Iamb. They're playing around eachother. They each have a different phrase, played over each member of the band.

deppo
09-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Has anyone ever listened to crickets chirping at night chirping just a tiny bit out of sync with one another? It sounds incredible... Every now and then they chirp at exactly the same time but then almost immediately go out of sync again.

Anyway, that's what I think of when I hear the "shit the bed" parts in Rosetta Stoned, and especially during the part right at the end of the song... fucking incredible, blows my mind and my load every time i hear it...

Does anyone else hear this? And if you understand how it works, could you maybe explain it to me?

Yeah I hear it dude, totally know what you mean, the cricket (cicadas in Australia) analogy is spot on. its sort of like they are each playing in different time signatures or something, and they all meet up in certain phases, I sort of like to think of it numerically, like if you count by different numbers, they only intersect in cycles at certain points in the sequence, sort of like common denominators in fractions.

A) 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 28 30
B) 3 6 9 12 15 18 21 24 27 30
C) 5 10 15 20 25 30

Like lines A+B intersect at 6,12,18,24 and 30
B+C intersect only at 15 and 30
A+C only at 10, 20 and 30.

You can sort of think of each sequence of numbers as one of the instruments, you know what I mean??? Coming in and out of phase with each other at different points. Probably didnt help you understand it any better but at least you know someone else hears the same thing you hear!

iAMtheMA!
09-20-2006, 10:07 PM
i think we've all experienced this at one point or another (the crickets). i'm very glad that you brought this up, 'cause certain tool websites don't care at all for "rhythm" (*cough* TOOLTABS *cough*). "listen to the recording for timing" - bullshit. this is an entire new dimension to tool often overlooked (for reasons that completely hurt my head). look, people, danny carey is... he can... shapes on top of shapes?! are you fucking kidding me?! "i don't even know where to begin."

anyways, this section is important, just like alllll the other sections in the track (i mean, it's called "ROSETTA STONEd" for christ's sake). i've recognized the mars volta doing this sorta thing as well, but i'm almost positive that king crimson may have headed this one off. THRAK!!! we all know that fripp had sessions with the band (or at least adam individually).

every tool song is to be decifered.

klc3
09-20-2006, 10:31 PM
Do you think Maynard is into scientology? talking about E.T. reviealing the cingular purpous to deliver "the" message... just a thought... The whole 10,000 days album has a sort of religous theme to it-and not a specific religon. has any of you ever heard of thesophy? its the study of all religons; this album kinda makes me think there members of the theosophical society...maby.. what do you think?

iAMtheMA!
09-20-2006, 10:51 PM
i believe it's a lot closer to what has become "new age" rather than scientology. i don't understand why maynard talks of a sweaty l. ron hubbad upper lip, but i do recall him chanting "fuck l. ron hubbard" at some point (heh, yeah i know). anyways, the toolshed.down reading list has captured a suggested book from the band called "nothing in this book is true, but it is exactly the way things are" by bob frissell. i actually suggest reading drunvalo melchizedek's "the ancient secret of the flower of life" ('cause basically all frissell does is talk about what drunvalo told him - though his approach is very easy considering just how difficult it may be to grasp these certain perspectives. fuck it, read both). more than the broad "new age" stamp, tool has expressed on numerous occassions that they are very much followers of something called "sacred geometry" (well beyond "there's numbers in nature" - apparently, everything can be expressed by specific shapes - see: 10,000 days liners) and "ritual magick" (exercises to strengthen a more abstract perspective). i'll let you dig from there...

deppo
09-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Couldn't imagine MJK being associated with Scientology...