PDA

View Full Version : H. on 10KD tour?

anarcho-commie
09-01-2006, 10:39 PM
No Aenema? What the hell is wrong with you?

And Tool will never play H again. They dont play songs that lost meaning to them, and H has.

Btw, I noticed that I was the only person out of everyone around me who knew Rosetta Stoned. I really got into it in the first verse, and my friend was like "sing it chris" and that jsut blew me off course, so I shut up.

Juddaas
09-01-2006, 10:45 PM
[QUOTE=anarcho-commie;1364207]No Aenema? What the hell is wrong with you?

And Tool will never play H again. They dont play songs that lost meaning to them, and H has.
QUOTE]

Can you explain this please? I'm new to the site but a long time Tool fan, and I was unaware of this.

anarcho-commie
09-01-2006, 10:54 PM
[QUOTE=anarcho-commie;1364207]No Aenema? What the hell is wrong with you?

QUOTE]

Can you explain this please? I'm new to the site but a long time Tool fan, and I was unaware of this.

Well it's quite simple.

Tool stop playing a song if it loses meaning to them. I think examples of these songs would be Prison Sex, Intolerance, Cold and Ugly, and quite possibly Pushit. Maynard is very exclusive with his music. H roughly is about the good an the bad that divides him when around his son. I dont think he goes through that anymore though, as I have read that H has lost meaning to Tool, so there's no way it will be played again. But it hasn't been played before much either.

raoul_duke69
09-01-2006, 10:59 PM
H. lost meaning to them sometime between 2002 and 2006?

I dont get it.

AMF
09-01-2006, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=Juddaas;1364215]

Well it's quite simple.

Tool stop playing a song if it loses meaning to them. I think examples of these songs would be Prison Sex, Intolerance, Cold and Ugly, and quite possibly Pushit. Maynard is very exclusive with his music. H roughly is about the good an the bad that divides him when around his son. I dont think he goes through that anymore though, as I have read that H has lost meaning to Tool, so there's no way it will be played again. But it hasn't been played before much either.

H. and Jambi deal with very similar themes, so I disagree there.

anarcho-commie
09-01-2006, 11:06 PM
[QUOTE=anarcho-commie;1364230]

H. and Jambi deal with very similar themes, so I disagree there.

In my opinion they are totally different, H concerns the good vs. evil. Written about Devo, and is a very dark song. Jambi on the other hand is a bright song written on how a relationship comes together, the opposite of a schism if you might.

somniferousalmondeye
09-03-2006, 01:56 AM
H., one of my top ten favorite tool songs, what a shame i never will hear it live. oh well, add it to the long list of dissapointment in life.

mr. nikki jensen
09-04-2006, 07:47 AM
[QUOTE=AMF;1364244]

In my opinion they are totally different, H concerns the good vs. evil. Written about Devo, and is a very dark song. Jambi on the other hand is a bright song written on how a relationship comes together, the opposite of a schism if you might.

wasn't H about Heroin? I remember i once heard that somewhere here on toolnavy. I don't expect maynard to do Heroin anymore so in this light you might be right saying that tool has lost the meaning to them

Fulcanelli
09-05-2006, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=Juddaas;1364215]

Well it's quite simple.

I totally disagree with this statement. I'm not convinced that H is even about his son, Devo. It could just as well be about two women in his (or anyone's life)... being torn between stability and the temptation that is threatening everything that is good (killing him slowly, like Heroin). Re-read the lyrics with that in mind and you'll see that it fits. It does for me, anyway.

Regardless, H is a great song and should be played live

paraflux
09-19-2006, 06:43 AM
Well it's quite simple.

You place an awful lot of stock in your opinion as to what the song is about.

GreenJellyFan
09-21-2006, 09:06 AM
[QUOTE=Juddaas;1364215]

Well it's quite simple.

The last time i saw TOOL, which was 2001, they played Prison Sex. So maybe you're wrong. Unless this is just something they decided on there current tour

john
09-26-2006, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE=anarcho-commie;1364230]

Regardless, H is a great song and should be played live

Well put.

And what year they wrote it in has nothing to do with whether it's lost meaning for them or not; they played Opiate in Jersey, 2002 (Which was fantastic), and Sober is in practically every setlist...ever...but I think the original poster's idea is more-or-less correct. Clearly, they've moved on and won't be playing certain songs, I mean, if you were in a band would you play a song you've grown tired of, or means nothing to you now when there are new, fresh, more meaningful songs to you at the current moment? There's no reason to after you've played your heart out on that song/idea for so long/so many times already.

Oh, well. It's alright. I don't mind. (sorry, that was bad, even for a tool pun, but it had to be done!)

unto her a vineyard
09-26-2006, 09:55 PM
H would be a cool song to here.. espically with this new tool

the_shrike29
10-04-2006, 11:03 AM
I would be very interested to know how Prison Sex and Jimmy and H. lost meaning since 2002 tours when they were played often. Pushit too for that matter.

fretforyourfigure462
10-06-2006, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE=anarcho-commie;1364248]

wasn't H about Heroin? I remember i once heard that somewhere here on toolnavy. I don't expect maynard to do Heroin anymore so in this light you might be right saying that tool has lost the meaning to them

That's what I thought too. I'm pretty convinced that H. is about choices [i.e. the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other] And considering the song title...H is probably standing for "heroine"...so...that's the way I see it.

But what bothers me is these other interpretations everyone else is having make sense too.

So it gets confusing.

I wish I could just have one day to talk to Maynard about this stuff.

Stumtool
10-08-2006, 10:11 AM
H. is one of my favorite songs, though i know i will never hear it live, and it dosent mean anyhting to the band, it can still mean alot to the people who listen, and use their music as an escape

notregistered
10-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Who or what is "H."? (Keenan begins to get really annoyed with this
line of questioning.)
My son's name is Devo H. That's all I'll say.

from
http://toolshed.down.net/articles/index.php?action=view-article&id=December_1996--Strobe.html

Phorty
10-12-2006, 03:33 AM
I would be very interested to know how Prison Sex and Jimmy and H. lost meaning since 2002 tours when they were played often. Pushit too for that matter.

Your forgetting the fact that the starter of this thread has probably only seen tool on the 10k days tour and thus has no idea of this.
Theres no way to identify what songs he (maynard) was refering to when he made that statement , since most songs can be taken on a universal level as well.

All in all its really up to them , and seeing how they recently played opiate , i think their list of songs not to play is probably shorter than we anticipated.

the_shrike29
10-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Your forgetting the fact that the starter of this thread has probably only seen tool on the 10k days tour and thus has no idea of this.
Theres no way to identify what songs he (maynard) was refering to when he made that statement , since most songs can be taken on a universal level as well.

All in all its really up to them , and seeing how they recently played opiate , i think their list of songs not to play is probably shorter than we anticipated.

That's a good point. I am interested in where it was the poster read or got the information about the songs losing meaning.

And about the list o' songs they may play, in one of the reviews from recent shows a poster reported they soundchecked Flood. One of the songs on my list to still hear live. *crosses fingers for spring tour*

Angel on the Sideline
10-13-2006, 05:06 AM
The beauty of TOOL's music is that their songs are layered and complex. Each layer carries with it a potentially new and different meaning. Like great classical poetry, most of TOOL's songs are open to a wide array of interpretations. Unless Maynard himself wants to fully explain his lyrics - which he never will - then we'll never really know the true meaning to any TOOL lyrics. But that's the way it should be. TOOL's music and lyrics are works of art. Valuable art has multiple interpretations based on the "eye of the beholder."

As fans of the work, it's great for us to develop our own interpretations, no matter how far off base. Maynard has publicly said many times that he reads interpretations of his lyrics on this site and most of the time we are way off base.

With that said, I never would have connected H. (also one of my favorite songs) with Maynard's son, Devo. I would have been more prone to believe the H. stood for heroin, especially when you consider the use of X for ecstasy in Rosetta Stoned and TOOL's precedent of alluding to drugs in their work (see the speil before Third Eye for another example).

Yet, notregistered has presented us with a golden nugget when he unearthed the MJK quote with his (or her ... how sexist of me to assume the poste is male) post (#17). Good work. This does help lend some credence to the thinking that H. deals with Maynard's early self-dichotomy during his initial years of fatherhood.

Still, let us also keep in mind that MJK and all members of TOOL commonly make things up in interviews for shits and giggles. Maybe Maynard was offering us a glimpse into the true meaning of H., or maybe he was throwing us off by misplacing our attention. We may never know, and that's the beauty of it.

But I'm now going with the Devo theory and banking that MJK was offering us a bone during that interview.

Hym
10-13-2006, 06:32 AM
Even if you are somehow right (although I find that hard to believe) and H. has lost meaning to Maynard, it doesn't mean that they won't play it live. It's just a song. They played Opiate on the current tour even though that song has lost meaning to Maynard which is made obvious just by looking at the lyrics to 10,000 Days (Wings Pt. 2).

the_shrike29
10-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Anyone else still holding out hope for H.? I really enjoyed it on the last tour, the way MJK has the echo/delay on the 'I' then launches into the scream 'I don't mind!' was amazing.