PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps he meant this...

cgraham
08-31-2006, 11:15 AM
When he says that "where there is one we are bound to divide it right in two"

Could he not mean that as the way we are we are never satifisfied. When we have something we have to fuck with it and make changes.

I havn't seen this anywhere and I really believe that this is the meaning.

It is like the whole album has this feeling of indiscretion and complacency in the human psyche.

Since we cant be satisfied with what we have, we have to change and make things worse.

Probably way off, but whatever

kozmohz
09-02-2006, 08:54 AM
1st post...Suprised no one else elaborated on this. I think its about internal (satisfaction like you had mentioned, ideals, etc.) divisions that we create in our minds, and the external divisions we create (racism, class, beauty, etc.) from them, and how different we are in our ideals and how we act them out (in essence to seperate ourselves from one other or be considered "better" or "above" someone or someone's elses ideas, internal vs. external world)...this unity is broken and being divided faster and faster through time and I think that is what this song is about perhaps... probably way off as well...

cgraham
09-02-2006, 01:40 PM
1st post...Suprised no one else elaborated on this. I think its about internal (satisfaction like you had mentioned, ideals, etc.) divisions that we create in our minds, and the external divisions we create (racism, class, beauty, etc.) from them, and how different we are in our ideals and how we act them out (in essence to seperate ourselves from one other or be considered "better" or "above" someone or someone's elses ideas, internal vs. external world)...this unity is broken and being divided faster and faster through time and I think that is what this song is about perhaps... probably way off as well...

This is exactly what I mean, thanks for elaborating for a dim wit.

wearethestories
09-02-2006, 07:25 PM

a little too cerebral for the song I think, but you never know with TOOL

and as for the OP:
I'm pretty sure you're right. I just thought it was obvious so no one else was talking about it, but thanks for bringing it to everyone's notice.

my take is that unity is a myth --- the REALITY is that we are constantly breaking things into pieces and dividing lives, riches, and wealth up (think monkeys from "2001: A Space Odyessy" all killing each other as soon as they got the chance to).

we all claim that we want peace, love, reconciliation, but even those who suggest it fall victim to our own inherent selfishness as human beings, thus "where[ever] there's one, we are bound to divide it... right in two".

pretty sure there's also a reference there to "46&2" which was about growing and addition while this song is about stunted development and division. "46&2" is hope while "Right In Two" is reality.

Should we then hope?