PDA

View Full Version : Vicarious-Jambi

goobermensch
08-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Okay, this is just something fun you guys might want to try. This is in no way meant to undermine the original creativity and sheer briliance of the songs, or in anyway to imply that Tool did/didn't intend this. But I decided to try this after realizing that both the songs revert to similar riffs somewhere down the middle.

Someone on a different discussion board posted that if you add Viginti Tres and Wings For Marie in one play list and play that in sync with 10,000 Days that the two sort of sync up.. I tried it and thought it was really cool the way they came together. I tried it on my own with APC's Counting Bodies and Pet/Lullaby which again was a fun experience. So i decided to give Vicarious and Jambi a shot too..

Some parts were pretty exciting like in the begining where he's saying I... I.. it sort goes into Eye on the TV.

but the coolest part was when the Jambi talk-box solo happens with the half vampire half warrior part.. i couldnt believe that these were actually two seperate songs being played at once.. it sort of drifts away after that again..

But I'll let you guys draw your own conclusions about this.. not claiming any hiddne knowledge or anything like that.. its worth a try.

Terry21
09-02-2006, 01:34 AM
Well, as a musician, I don't see how you can sync up two different songs with different arrangements and time signatures. This only gets my attention if there are 2 parts that start at the same time and are having the same time signature.

SpiraMirabilis
09-02-2006, 01:15 PM
I think the whole idea of syncing two songs together a load of rubbish. I gave Wings and Viginti Tres synced up a listen and it was far from convincing. If you put any two sounds together it will have an interesting effect, in the same way as playing a song/sound backwards or inverted. Speaking as a musician too, if this sort of thing was intended, it would be a huge amount of work. the songs would have had to been writen at the same time on top of each other, and this certainly is not the case. If it was, the band would certainly make it more obvious so their hard work would not go to waste.

Sorry for being so harsh, but their are people with odd ideas around this forum.

eulogy09
09-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Um, given the nature of the artwork, the theme of the album (dividing things into 2 and whatnot,) and the whole "puzzle" thing, are these types of theories really all that out there??

[[the answer is no.]]

Very true. I wouldn't put anything past tool, although in this case it does seem a little far-streched.

SpiraMirabilis
09-02-2006, 02:59 PM
"wtf is polymeter??"

Polymetre is where two different metres divide into each other on a small scale, for example 3s agaisnt 2s. It does not apply to mixing two completly different songs together.

goobermensch
09-02-2006, 03:02 PM
I gave Wings and Viginti Tres synced up a listen and it was far from convincing.

Dude.. make 2 playlists.. 1 with Viginti Tres followed by Wings.. and the other with just 10,000 Days

Play both together.. and there is a sync.. especially between Wings and Days.. (the end part sorta gets a little echoed.. but its cool.. and given Viginti Tres sorta has an Assencion Theme, it blends in with the weather and the funeral setting of 10,000 days. I thought it was pretty cool, and I'm sure Viginti Tres serves other functions in the album as well..

SpiraMirabilis
09-02-2006, 03:07 PM
I think thats what I tried:

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=56656

I stick with my opinion.

NormalD
10-01-2006, 01:26 AM
I'm pretty sure both songs have the same key signature so it's possible they will line up and song cool in some places. However I think it probably wasn't intended. I could be wrong, cause Tool suprises me alot.