PDA

View Full Version : Some technical help needed!

Vile1011
05-11-2003, 07:16 AM
A while ago I used to sit in my car during my long breaks from class and listen to music. I could just lie back and let my car stereo just suffocate me with sound.

I remember listening to Reflection at near full volume. I could feel each drum-beat, it was as if Danny was pounding my chest with his drumsticks. The vibrations from the guitars seemed to travel up and down my body with each note. The bass rattled my very soul. Unlike most vibration-heavy music, it wasn't muddy. It was crisp and clear, as if Tool were playing their songs from inside me. It really connected me to the music, made me feel like a part of it, much more than headphones ever could.

Yet eventually my car stereo went the way of the fizzle, and I was never able to recreate that sound. I eventually figured out that Lateralus 's sound is split into at least two parts, with one having more emphasis on the bass and the other the treble. I think there was a third that was all drums, with hardly any guitars at all. Sometimes if you pull your headphones out halfway you can hear this.

Turns out my crappy, damaged CD player was somehow playing the bass-heavy half louder than it should be. Since the treble part was dampened, the vibrations were very crisp and clear instead of muddy.

With my new, quality CD player, I wasn't able to recreate the sound, and Lateralus sounded more like an uninviting wall of sound. I could no longer feel the drumbeat of Reflection the way I used to. It now seemed like the music was just coming from the speakers and going past me, instead of inside me.

I would kill to be able to recreate that experience again. Being able to sit in my car and just dissolve into peaceful oblivion seemed to make all my troubles vanish. There must be some way to extract each part of the CD and tweak them so the bass part would be louder. I'd also need to buy new speakers for my car, but that's no big deal. I feel Reflection is a mere shell of it's former self now. I need it back!

Before you ask, just turning up the bass and the treble down doesn't work. There are different layers to the CD that must be tweaked independantly to get this effect.