PDA

View Full Version : Concept Album?

ry.
05-10-2003, 08:48 PM
This is a new idea of mine.
I was thinking one day about concept albums and it hit me that lateralus could be a concept album.Hear me out here....

First the main plot is tracks 1-9 and d/r/t is the "resolution" (which btw was its working title). I think the whole album could be a about a relationship, not necessarily a love thing, it could be a close friendship as well i suppose.

Track by track analysis:

The Grudge - The inital problem is presented before the album even starts. In the opening track, the character speaks of the wrong done to him, and at the end of the song, decides to try and "let go"

The Patient - The character is faced with the decision to wait it out, or quit now. In this song, both choices appear to be equal to the character. He decides to wait it out...

Schism - The character realizes what the inital problem has done to his relationship with someone.

Parabol/a - The character reflects on how the other peson makes them feel, while in their presence.

Ticks and leeches - The rebuttle to parabol/a. The character sees the other side of this mess. After the reflection of happier times in parabol/a, the character is seeing the negative side of the relationship.

Lateralus - The semi-conclusion. The character goes through this reflection of life, and concludes with whatever your interpretation of "spiral out" (whether you take it to mean "whatever happens,happens" ; or "keep in the relationship")

D/R/T - this gives us a little backround on the character,

Disposition - tells us the character seems to have a quick reaction to events in his life."Mention anything, and watch the weather change"

Reflection - The character takes us through an 11 min microcosm of his life.

I hope you see my idea now after all that typing....

Pro_Art
05-10-2003, 09:19 PM
Your theory seems to work, although I doubt Tool had
this in mind when they wrote the songs for the album.
Like many things we've discovered about Tool's music,
this seems to be an after thought. I had a somewhat
vivid image in my head of what the movie would look like.

Peace,
Pro Art (Protocol Artisan)

random_1
05-11-2003, 02:41 AM
i thought the cd was sorta in a way "self inprovment" well only some songs other im yet to find what im looking for

grudges only hold us back
parabol parabola is about merkaba, a joruney traverling, in the end where all one mind. and this body is just a vessal for our undeing soul sorta thing

watch the filmclip and go to www.merkaba.net, the signs and every thing fit.

also lateralus feels like parabola new experiance's
maby reflecting about our life and whats to come and the only way get futher is to crusife the our ego's they hold us down
www.astralvoyage.com in there is a ref to The Ego.

iono just an idea

the relationship is good, maby relationship with god!!!
i just want to see them put out a new cd

check out that merkaba stuff, i think that ties in with every thing. also there is a song called merkaba on salival like medertation to find inner peace, and leave the body, and travel the vibrations

wierd shit

ry.
05-11-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Pro_Art
Your theory seems to work, although I doubt Tool had
this in mind when they wrote the songs for the album.
Like many things we've discovered about Tool's music,
this seems to be an after thought.

It prolly wasnt an inspiration for the album, but it is an interesting afterthought

grohl
05-13-2003, 07:12 AM
For me it was obvious from the first time I listened to Lateralus that it is a concept album. I also understand that lateralus is about relationships which the love is part of