PDA

View Full Version : I realized something

TheJuiceOfSatan
08-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Undertow is just as powerful as all the other tool albums. its rather intense and dark. They really fuckin let lose on some of the songs. When you watch old videos of maynard back in 93,94, he looks posessed. he sang these song with a fucking tormented passion. he gives that death stare, like hes about to just snap. Undertow is awesome.

SpiraMirabilis
08-27-2006, 02:32 PM
Yes, I agree, Swamp Song particularly, but there's a lot more than just raw emotion in the album. I see remnants of their later technique of structuring songs, altough they tend to end quite abruptly. But as you say, its Maynard's singing that really gets to you. He's one of the rare singers who realises that using a clear voice can bring across emotion much better than shouting. Shouting lacks intensity, it just becomes noise.

TheJuiceOfSatan
08-28-2006, 02:18 PM
yeah, like the ending of flood and undertow, they both have that tribal freak out thing going on. they just dont elaborate on it like on Aenima. You see hints of them becoming more experimental.

HelenA
09-22-2006, 03:31 AM
I found 'Undertow' retrospectively. So I first listened to it AFTER I had heard 10,000 days. And it is AMAZING. I love it. So raw and cranky. But insightful at the same time. It is very easy to like 10,000 days, Lateralus and Aenima but it takes effort to listen to Undertow and it is SO worth the effort. It reminds me of a mud bath! Thick, luscious, erotic, dark.

Liam
09-22-2006, 03:48 AM
All this talk of luscious, erotic mud-baths is great..
HelenA have we met before?

HelenA
09-22-2006, 04:46 AM
All this talk of luscious, erotic mud-baths is great..
HelenA have we met before?

No but if you can line up a mud bath with Tool playing Undertow then I will be there!

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-28-2007, 08:13 PM
I think helena is calling you out my friend. I would do what is asked of you.

the_milkman
04-07-2007, 01:20 PM
yeah. i bought Undertow after about 5 years of listening to aenima and lateralus religiously.. i knew i was missing something but i had no idea just how special this album is!! the kind of intense emotion that pours through undertow right into the listener is unlike any of their other material. it really gets me charged up!

Trelectron
09-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Undertow is like no other, not even Aenima!!!! i discovered it recently, while Tool being my favourite band ever and Aenima right next to Dark Side Of the Moon by Pink Floyd. not that i hadnt listened to it but it was only recently that I understood what Undertow really is and what it meant for the guys and especially Maynard. everybody who has seen old Tool's Live shows on vid, like 92, 93 and 94 will understand clearly what i mean. Maynard has never been like that on stage since then, not even on Aenima world Tour ( Best Tour by Tool of all times). not only anger or wrath, or darkness blended with beauty, or passion or something else. There are just no words to express it, when u see that old Maynard singing live, man. what can i say, i think about it and get the shivers inside me spreading into my whole body and mind, im just speechless. i know u all feel me so i will stop here. Damn, feels like playing Undertow right now!!! not aenima, but UNDERTOW, DEEP...DOWN....IN THE UNDERTOW......

Liam
09-19-2007, 03:31 PM
I think helena is calling you out my friend. I would do what is asked of you.

just to follow up on this..
I am now [quite happily] living in HelenA's garden. Mud baths aplenty.

Eulogy33
09-19-2007, 05:06 PM
its early tool, of course its powerful.

paraflux
09-19-2007, 05:27 PM
just to follow up on this..
I am now [quite happily] living in HelenA's garden. Mud baths aplenty.

hahahaha

whittashau
09-19-2007, 06:31 PM
I was wondering why Helena has been so happy lately. Makes perfect sense now.

Nikeda-Taylor
01-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Undertow is just as powerful as all the other tool albums. its rather intense and dark. They really fuckin let lose on some of the songs. When you watch old videos of maynard back in 93,94, he looks posessed. he sang these song with a fucking tormented passion. he gives that death stare, like hes about to just snap. Undertow is awesome.

Yeah, i know what you mean. Disgustipated is my favorite song off the album. xp

Schema
01-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Yeah, i know what you mean. Disgustipated is my favorite song off the album. xp

Same.

It's sad that my friends and I all sit around and sing Disgustipated from time to time. We use the vinyl for that.

By the way, it's not a drinking game.

Also, Undertow is great, like RED great. Well, all the albums are great, but...

Nikeda-Taylor
01-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Not really, it's kinda funny, and interesting. But, i think it's awesome that you and your friends do that! xp

Schema
01-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Not really, it's kinda funny, and interesting. But, i think it's awesome that you and your friends do that! xp

Yeah, apparently I can do the "This is necessary" very well...

IgorPump
01-29-2008, 07:24 AM
i can't tell which song on undertow is my favo.i can tell you all what my last favo is, and its sober.yes i know everyone likes that song and so do it,but i have heard it so many times.it was very big when i lived in germany, but i do like other ones better.

Schema
01-29-2008, 12:55 PM
i can't tell which song on undertow is my favo.i can tell you all what my last favo is, and its sober.yes i know everyone likes that song and so do it,but i have heard it so many times.it was very big when i lived in germany, but i do like other ones better.

Indeed. I'm gettin' kind of sick of Sober. I like Intolerance much better, really...

Rolo
02-07-2008, 02:17 PM
^Yes^

Vassago
02-08-2008, 11:33 PM
4 degrees or flood are my favs

alichain
02-11-2008, 07:36 AM
No but if you can line up a mud bath with Tool playing Undertow then I will be there!

Wow. I know what I want for my birthday now!

Rolo
02-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Mudbath? Maybe "swamp song" would be appropriate instead?

Schema
02-11-2008, 01:02 PM
4 degrees or flood are my favs

Mmmm, Flood. This comment prompted me to listen to it again. God, I love that song. My tops for Undertow are Intolerance, Disgustipated, 4deg... and Flood is goin' up. Proson Sex ain't too bad, either, generally.

alichain
02-12-2008, 07:58 AM

Ha, I didn't even think of that.

AcidRain
02-13-2008, 12:04 PM

or even The Pot "Eye hole deep in muddy waters"

Rolo
02-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Haha, yes.......