PDA

View Full Version : Why is it people don't like this song?

conawayb
08-26-2006, 06:24 PM
I was just wondering. I hear people say that this is one of the worst Tool songs. I personally love this song. I know it's nowhere their best work. But its got the Undertow influence too it, Maynard proves he can still get those high notes and, as a guitar player myself, I love Adam Jones's parts But then again, I don't think there is such a thing as the worst Tool song. Anyone care to elaborate on why they think this is the worst Tool song?

hushypushy
08-28-2006, 09:33 PM
probably because of the singing. when i first heard this song i thought it was ridiculous, but then it really grew on me.

ktdude
08-29-2006, 02:17 AM
It's so different from Tool's other stuff, you can see why the older fans wouldn't take to it. I personally think it's catchy, groovy and a damn fine tune. Justin shows amazing skill on it too, funky ass.

SpiraMirabilis
08-29-2006, 03:46 AM
I love the Pot; I love the singing at the start and the funky bass line. However, I would still say it is the worst song on the album, except of couse Lipan Conjuring, Lost Keys and Viginti Tres. Infact this is not a much of a criticism because I belive 10,000 days is one of the greatest albums.

The only reason why its the worst in my opinion, is that its nothing more than a very good song. Its extremly simple for Tools standards, and lacks much inner meening. I properbly in the end listen to it the most, because in comparison to the others, it is light listening.

mr. nikki jensen
08-29-2006, 06:12 AM
the pot is nice, but my least favorite on the album, simply because i like the other songs better

Thirdeye11
08-29-2006, 06:30 AM
I really like the song, and my girlfriend loves the song. She's by no means a hardcore Tool fan, more of a casual listener by association :)

My guess would be this is one of the most accessible Tool songs, maybe that's why long time listeners dislike it. Due to the fact that something "wrong" is happening here. It's a song everyone can like, OH NOES!!!11!1ONEone

SpiralExit
08-30-2006, 12:45 PM
when i first heard it, i thought it's some other guy with a kid voice doin vocals for the song..

Loveboat Captain
08-30-2006, 02:59 PM
It's a badass, straight-forward and rockin' tune. The vocals are fucking intense which is refreshing to hear in the days of generic emo and nu-metal. Tool need the odd balls-out rock tune every now and again.

okemopoma
09-03-2006, 11:06 AM
I have no idea.

Its my favorite tune on the new album.

Lets see. The lyrics are awesome, the bass line is incredible, the whole tune comes together perfectly.

Maynard challenges his fans all the time. Crank this one up as loud as it will go and then tell me it sucks. I dont think so.

conawayb
09-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the insight everyone. That does seem logical, it does have an Undertow feel too it that newer fans may not like. It's by no means my favorite. I just thought this song wasn't getting the credit it deserved.

ManDingoLover
09-03-2006, 07:26 PM
I dislike it because the lyrics are really bad, and the guitar parts are irritatingly simple.

thumphrey05
09-03-2006, 07:41 PM
I dislike it because the lyrics are really bad, and the guitar parts are irritatingly simple.

i think the lyrics are one of the songs strong points, along with the bass line

discocj69
09-03-2006, 09:44 PM
I really like the song, and my girlfriend loves the song. She's by no means a hardcore Tool fan, more of a casual listener by association :)

My guess would be this is one of the most accessible Tool songs, maybe that's why long time listeners dislike it. Due to the fact that something "wrong" is happening here. It's a song everyone can like, OH NOES!!!11!1ONEone

I agree 100 %. My wife likes this song too. She's also a casual listener, and by no means a TOOL fan. The fact that it is a straight forward rock song is why people are dismissing it. The hardcore TOOL fans enjoy the mystery of the band and it's messages. When a "simple" song which anyone can decipher comes along, they turn their noses up at it. I really love the complicated features of the band and it's music. But, I think that songs like The Pot, Aenima, Vicarious, and Hooker w/ a Penis have their place. Not every song can (or should) be so mysterious and abstract that the fans fill up message boards trying to understand it. You can't spend all of your energy searching for deeper or alternative meanings to life and ignore the issues that are right in front of you.

If you can't appreciate that, then think of it this way: An artist puts out material that is a reflection of what they experience and/or believe. A song that is influenced by ideas of expanding one's mind and achieving a different/higher state of consciousness is naturally going to contain elements of mystery, elusiveness, etc. A song about anger, dissatisfaction, or any other specific emotion is probably going to be more direct.

Enjoy the diversity of their music. Not every song is going to mean the same thing to every person. I'm sure the band has songs that mean more to them than others.

lizbiz
09-04-2006, 05:58 AM
It's so different from Tool's other stuff

Maybe the vocals at the beginning, but the song is very Undertow-ish.

Beezelbozo
09-04-2006, 10:46 AM
When I got copy of 10KD, I played this song for people and got kick out of their expressions during the opening vocals. I would have people guess who it was and heard everything from Incubus to Clay Aiken(no shit), a lot of these people obviously are NOT Tool fans. However, most liked it, if only for a moment. Yes it's an accessible song to the masses, but that shouldn't take away from the fact that it's a great-and yes 'simple' by TOOL santards-song. Plus, it sounds amazing live.

soreal
09-04-2006, 03:29 PM
the pot is my girlfriends favorite also, but my least favorite on the album, not that i dont like it, i would just prefer to hear the others.

justfar1086
09-04-2006, 03:33 PM
i really dont like it until about midway when it slows down, when that kind of drone sound occurs, everything after that is great but i can just never get into the first part of the song

lockdown12
09-06-2006, 02:33 PM
I actually like this song, but not as much as my girlfriend. I agree, it's very accessable to more casual listeners, and much more straightforward than most of their other songs. It has a dancable feel that causes white people to girate irhythmically--sort of like how Metallica started sounding in the early 90's. Speaking as a longtime listener of Tool, I'm totally fine with them doing a straitforward, catchy song once in a while, so long as they don't turn it into an entire album (like "the black album"). I mean, I'm a musician too, but even I get tired of 11/8 sometimes!

conawayb
09-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Some of the lyrics are a little rediculous but I think that it lends to the mood of the song

Foot in mouth and head up ass

got lemon juice up in your high eye

Pissed all over my black kettle

Slghtly rediculous but I think its brilliant

EGG-MAN
09-06-2006, 11:26 PM
this song rocks live

HARDTOOL
09-07-2006, 08:41 AM
I have no idea.

Its my favorite tune on the new album.

Lets see. The lyrics are awesome, the bass line is incredible, the whole tune comes together perfectly.

Maynard challenges his fans all the time. Crank this one up as loud as it will go and then tell me it sucks. I dont think so.

without a doubt, the louder the better

Aerie
09-07-2006, 10:05 AM
I don't really know...

They must have been high (when they first heard it)...

Denots_a_Tesor
09-07-2006, 06:10 PM
It iritates me when people think this is a anti pot song when it really has nothing to do with marijuana or drugs at all.

jonboy
09-07-2006, 07:52 PM
It's because of how he sings at the beginning, and that's the only reason.

Thats what put me off at first, but getting past this and really listening to the rest of the song pays off.

Useful)(Idiot
09-07-2006, 08:17 PM
hearing maynard sing so high at the beginning of this song gave me chills the first time i heard it, i personally really love this song.

horus462
09-08-2006, 05:13 AM
because of its simplicity I assume.
It may be too easy to catagorize.

Solaris
09-09-2006, 10:00 AM
Why should this be the worst Tool song ever? In my opinion, it's one of the best.

You can't tell me that you like something like Useful Idiot more than this song.

Solaris
09-10-2006, 05:21 AM
Yes, I consider Useful Idiot as a valuable song. Each Tool song is valuable if you discuss about The Pot being the worst Tool song ever.

lemonlateralus
09-10-2006, 01:51 PM
I must admit that the reason I thnk most people hated "The Pot" is due to its place after the high emotion of "Wings"...but it is still the best single on the album.I think that even the hardcore fan would be unable to resist saying how good "aenima" or "hooker with a penis" are,so how can they not like the song. The vocals on the intro always indicate to me now the change of tone for the rest of the album.
*Phew*

deppo
09-18-2006, 04:55 PM
Yeah I guess its because its a little more accessible musically than some of the others, a bit more traditional in its structure and maybe easier to follow than some of the unusual time signatures and arrangements that we have become familiar with. However, as apparently simplistic as the pot is, no one has really nailed a convincing interpretation of the lyrics yet IMO, so maybe its not as straightforward as everyone thinks... I think its sick anyway.

Demonseed420
09-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Some of the lyrics are a little rediculous but I think that it lends to the mood of the song

Foot in mouth and head up ass

got lemon juice up in your high eye

Pissed all over my black kettle

Slghtly rediculous but I think its brilliant

you have to look a little deeper into the lyrics though i made a post about it like 20 min ago the lyrics are great they have a very political meaning look into it keep digging,most tool songs are like that you have to peel back the outer layer and sink your teeth into the soft underbelly have fun.

iAMtheMA!
09-21-2006, 12:04 AM
well, personally, i know what they were trying to do, and it sounds amazing with my head out of my ass. it helps me dance better, too. ;) but, yeah, i just beat the shit outta anyone who says that the track sucks. worst tool song? probably... i don't know. opiate. yeah.

Steedus
09-21-2006, 12:32 AM
i refuse to believe in 'best' and 'worst'.
i find it to be a ridiculous measurement of something that needs not to be measured.

for me it's about finding what you can in the music, taking it, and then doing something with it. it's an exploratory experience.
i cringe when i hear things like "worst tool song? probably... i don't know. opiate. yeah."
i'm wondering who you are to say it's the worst song? this song has changed people's lives, i can't name a tool song that hasn't. opiates the worst song? what about hush? what about Rosetta stoned? maynards 'talking' at the start of rosetta stoned had me baffled for a few days. now i've let it in and i love it to death.

comments about best and worst seem to me to be a reflection of ego, it's your ego telling you "this is the best song" or "this is the worst song". don't listen to it. it's not your friend.
just jump in and find what you can, don't be seperate from the music, be enveloped by it and stop wondering about which one your favourite it is.
it's so very unimportant.

oh and also, i didn't get this song at first because it seemed to 'funky' for me.
but i dived in and found myself being very intensely affected by it.
awe inspiring stuff.

iAMtheMA!
09-21-2006, 09:18 AM
ugh. not that i feel i must defend myself, but (just for clarity) the "worst tool song? probably... i don't know. opiate. yeah." was kinda like "if you need a worst or best song ('cause that's what this thread consists of), then here you go, stop picking on "the pot" 'cause your reasoning hurts my head - now, let's move on". and, ummmm... i say "opiate" because it absolutely repeats ad nausea, i can't stand it. it's a little more than 40 seconds of actual music stretched to about 5 minutes and 20 seconds (audioslave is alllll about this shitty tactic - cornell is a joke btw). "swamp song" is actually the worst concerning this sorta stretch, and it sucks, but maybe it was meant as a repeating technique for us to eventually grab something from it (kinda like "third times a charm" - tool might be thinking "something's has just gotta stick by now - it wouldn't be the first time they've done this sorta thing either), alas... that, and no one acts on the messeges of opiate, so it was a very ineffective tune (i guess). please, don't comment on someone's best or worst as if we're wrong no matter what (just for coming up with something specific). people have their reasons. and hey, i appreciate even "off" songs a lot more once delving into their meanings, the "landlord" bit, for instance, destroys and gets me thinking about soooo many things. "all sorta terrifying" but then again "there's no love in fear", right?

oh, and i actually don't fully understand "the pot". i was kinda playing with the lyrics there... WINK! my head is still too far up my ass, i assure you.

p.s. - best/worst is razor thin either way when it comes to tool. everything that tool does has a specific meaning behind it, left open for discussion, and so on. how could you choose one from another? they are masters of their art.

Steedus
09-21-2006, 04:59 PM
no one says you have to like it, but i can confidently assume that opiate and swampsong are a shitload of peoples favourite songs.
whether you like it or not, there's no need for tools music or tool themselves to be measured and judged. it's just a missfire.

how do you know no one acts on the messages of opiate? you got tracking devices on everyone who's ever heard it?
adam jones once said something about someone saying to him something along the lines of 'wow that song opiate saved my life, i found jesus and things haven't been better'.

anyone else remember that?
or are you all to busy being little judges and missing the point?

yeah thats what i thought you'd say.

deppo
09-21-2006, 09:14 PM
(audioslave is alllll about this shitty tactic - cornell is a joke btw). .

Shit dude, Audioslave are pretty rank for sure, but Cornell has done some amazing shit in the past, he will never be a joke IMO. Superunknown is a fucking awesome recording....Once again....IMO. Badmotorfinger too.

deppo
09-21-2006, 09:16 PM
^Sorry I didn't mean to change the direction of the thread but I couldnt let that one thru without comment.

iAMtheMA!
09-21-2006, 09:32 PM
steedus, (i'll break it down for you)

the song "opiate" tends to make me ill.
untertow repeats the most
and audioslave sucks ...a lot (esp. cornell)*

...that's all i've said.
so, what's your beef again, man?

"so we cannot seem to reach an end,
crippling our communicatioooooooon"

* sorry, deppo, heh. but, yeah, it's just an opinion.
no hard feelings^ :)

mike_d1234
09-23-2006, 06:02 PM
I was just wondering. I hear people say that this is one of the worst Tool songs. I personally love this song. I know it's nowhere their best work. But its got the Undertow influence too it, Maynard proves he can still get those high notes and, as a guitar player myself, I love Adam Jones's parts But then again, I don't think there is such a thing as the worst Tool song. Anyone care to elaborate on why they think this is the worst Tool song?

my favorite current Tool song, and subsequently, my favorite song overall. i know long-term, that i'll always go back to Eulogy and Pushit as my 2 favs, but this song was oustanding to me from the get-go, and remains so after many hundreds of listens. maybe my taste differs from other's, but i'm pretty sure that i like what i like, so at least i got that going for me.

mike_d1234
09-23-2006, 06:05 PM

guitar work has to be incredibly intricate to be enjoyable then? as a non-musician, this makes no sense to me, but maybe that's because i'm a non-musician.

Fo3
09-23-2006, 06:32 PM
The first time I heard this song, I smiled. It was so different to hear Maynard singing like this, that it made me happy. I don't care that the lyrics aren't as deep as other songs, like Lateralus or The Grudge. This is a good song, the only thing wrong with it I think, is that it is a little repetitive. Other than that, nothing is wrong.

deppo
09-24-2006, 04:21 PM
* sorry, deppo, heh. but, yeah, it's just an opinion.
no hard feelings^ :)

None taken dude.........but I still love superunknown. LOL. Did eberyone see the 'official' lyrics?

Cid
09-24-2006, 04:25 PM
People shouldn´t judge it before they heard it live.

ive heard it live 5 times now....still just as horrible of a song as ever.

27 Years
09-24-2006, 07:43 PM
I like The Pot, but it is really easy to see why a long time too fan wouldn't. Its definately a song with a more mainstream feel. If ever I was going to play a non-Tool fan a song, that would probably be it.

xmen9c
09-27-2006, 10:12 AM
It iritates me when people think this is a anti pot song when it really has nothing to do with marijuana or drugs at all.

Hate to disagree and casue any undue backlash but the song most definitely has something to do with marijuana in a double meaning. The song is a metaphorical reference to a governmental set up of Ed Rosenthal who was tried and convicted in 2003 of growing "pot" for personal use when in fact he was doing so under the orders of the state of California for medicinal use. Marijuana is the subject matter of that court battle but not the foucs of the song. It is also about the hypocrisy of the American justice system and injects the irony of "the pot calling the kettle black", thus the double meaning of "the pot".

Near the end the phrase "Ganja, Puhlease... you must have been out your mind"... Ganja is not something else is it? To me this is a statement of defiance and disbelief that our "justice system" would have even went to the trouble of spending the resources it spent on pursuing this trial and others for the sake of growing weed and other ridiculous reasons for it's legal pursuits. By the way I do not smoke marijuana nore condone it's use but I do support questioning why our "leaders" (politicians, judges, lawyers, etc.) do some of the things they do.

Look closely at the lyrics and read up on the Ed Rosenthal case and you will most likely come to this conclusion. Although as is the case with many songs by Tool and other bands with deeper lyrical vision than others, the song is for the listeners interpretations even though the creator may have been inspired by a completely different thought/feeling/experience.

I also take exception to the depth of the lyrics being called into question. They are very deep and laden with inuendo and double meaning with a large does of intellectual bitch slapping. This song is one of the gems of this album and the band's mucsic overall.

deppo
09-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Sounds interesting... Im in total agreeance about the depth of the lyrics also, its not a simple, shallow song just because its a little more accessible musically than what we have come to expext. I would have thought that the lyrics are far more inteligent and open for exploration than right In Two for instance. IMO.

AlcheMilla
10-16-2006, 12:49 PM
The only reason I dislike the Pot is because it comes right after the excellent 10.000 days, and breaks the mood with that ...voice. Otherwise good song.

one_reflection
10-17-2006, 04:37 AM
Whats wrong with Opiate?!

I already wrote my big rant up about what I think the song is about in the 'official lyrics release' thingo. This is probably my favourite track on the album. Probably because i dont have to be in any specific frame of mind when i listen to it, nor does it really change my frame of mind after having listened to it. Something like Wings tends to induce a rather reflective and possibly melancholy mood (in me anyway) which sometimes you just dont want to be in despite the awesomeness of the song.

tool fan
10-26-2006, 04:56 PM
I can't imagine why people don't like The Pot. I think it is one of the most kick ass rock tunes on the album. The vocals are great, the bass is awesome and the guitar is intense. This song is meant to be heard at full volume and it jams.

fretforyourfigure462
10-26-2006, 07:47 PM
As being a Tool fan for a long fucking time, I can understand why some people don't like this song. Because it's mainstream. it's played on the radio all the time. And it kinda makes me mad too, but I still love the song personally.

base metal
11-01-2006, 10:30 PM
I hear ya....I just don't like the intro.

unto her a vineyard
11-01-2006, 11:36 PM
do you like the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pG6ANv4JgI)?

john
11-09-2006, 04:03 PM
I used to loathe The Pot. Seriously, I thought it was the absolute worst song on this album, and any other album ever. Then I heard it live. It's definitely a song that the band and the crowd feed off of each other. Maynard's voice is the most noticeable part of this song, but Justin KILLS every fantastic beat of this song. So I suggest if you don't like the song still, see it performed live (with an "open" mind helps....) and then see how you feel about it.

boscobytes
11-09-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm a long time listener and I really like this song. I agree that it's an abrubt change of mood after Wings for Marie, but I don't mind because I'm usually fighting back tears by the end of that song.

dusanm
11-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Near the end the phrase "Ganja, Puhlease... you must have been out your mind"...

I think that he says "Ganja Police, you must, have been, out your mind"
BTW, this whole album is much different than Lateralus simply because its more direct and socially/politically engaged. Vicarious, Right in two and The Pot are clear examples. Lipan is the name of an exterminated Apache tribe....

I think that its simply not fair to compare these two albums because they are conceptually very different, and 10000 days simply diverge from Aenima and lateralus tradition.

morethanmusic
11-17-2006, 08:52 PM
i respect all of your opinions. okay I lied. If you say u don't like the pot I think you have awful taste in music. i wish I didn't feel this way. No I don't. I don't care. I am sure deep down those who hate the song feel the same way about me. have a lovely Thanks-raping-and-pillaging-our-people-day. Laters

Solaris
11-20-2006, 08:37 AM
do you like the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pG6ANv4JgI)?

I hate it. Ask again when you have a better one.

duncang
11-20-2006, 11:27 AM
James Blunt called, he wants to know who you are to wave your finger.

xjambix
11-26-2006, 10:48 AM
I love this song, it's a favourite of mine. But I only really started listening to Tool a couple of years ago. But I think Maynard's vocals and lyrics on this song are amazing. It's not as heavy as the other stuff, so maybe people don't like it because of that reason?

mjkajdcjc
11-26-2006, 04:16 PM
As being a Tool fan for a long fucking time, I can understand why some people don't like this song. Because it's mainstream. it's played on the radio all the time. And it kinda makes me mad too, but I still love the song personally.

"Aenima" got a shit-load of radio play, as did "Stinkfist", "Schism", and "Sober", yet everyone has no problems with them.

I'm not ranking on you (because about ten of you guys have said the same thing), I just think that looking back on this song in five years, Tool fans will be impressed with this song equally as much as all their other singles.

something_Dark
12-02-2006, 04:24 PM

I love it now and I loved it the first time I heard it.. only a fool would put expectations on what TOOL does. Purely original talent... would you rather they just use the same song pattern and style for every song??

TOOL=UNPREDICTABLE GENUIS

waltz46n2
12-03-2006, 07:13 AM
I think you nailed it pretty well. Each time a new album comes out it is different. It may take a few tries to enjoy all the music and to hear the words, but that is why we listen is it not? If you want to be "spoonfed" You can listen to ACDC or some other crap that basically has one song and several different lyrical variations.
By the way loved the Pot and vicarious too the first time i heard them. But like always it took several listens to really appreciate the album as a whole.

Confield
12-03-2006, 08:49 AM
It goes from the awesome "Weeping shades of indigo...shed without a reason" section to a very predictable Meshuggah take on the bassline. It's choppy.

Nradd99
12-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Simple. While I won't criticize those who genuinely dislike the song, many Tool fans are pretentious and can't stand to think that other more "simple folk" who listen to the radio can comprehend their complex music. Therefore, they label "the Pot" one of Tool's worst songs so they can see people who enjoy it as having inferior tastes.

DrJones
12-07-2006, 08:35 PM
I love it now and I loved it the first time I heard it.. only a fool would put expectations on what TOOL does. Purely original talent... would you rather they just use the same song pattern and style for every song??

TOOL=UNPREDICTABLE GENUIS

/gives something_Dark gold star

TOOL is progressive...it would be unlike them to make another Lateralus or Ænima album, or even another song on those albums, respectively.

Solaris
12-13-2006, 09:35 AM
James Blunt called, he wants to know who you are to wave your finger.

Who is James Blunt?

duncang
12-13-2006, 09:44 AM
Who is James Blunt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUdBmXeqt6Q

Solaris
12-13-2006, 11:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUdBmXeqt6Q

James Blunt is shit, but thanks for your advice.

the midas touch
12-13-2006, 11:53 AM
the pot is nice, but my least favorite on the album, simply because i like the other songs better

I do prefer The Pot to Lipan Conjuring.

duncang
12-14-2006, 10:23 AM
James Blunt is shit, but thanks for your advice.

What advice?

I made a joke.

Solaris
12-14-2006, 10:36 AM
What advice?

I made a joke.

And I didn't know who James Blunt was. I heard this song before but I didn't know who made it. Thanks to your link, now I know it.

tomhet
01-04-2007, 11:14 PM
I really don't care what you say, this is the shittiest Tool song ever, the voice gives me deep nausea and the lyrics are far from socially or politically engaged, they're just stupid. The result is quite boring. Maynard may have word ability and Justin may play incredibly well, but that's not a Tool song for me *listens to Pushit*

fadastic
01-05-2007, 02:05 PM
This was the first song on the record that I liked.

jonboy
01-05-2007, 04:18 PM
I really don't care what you say, this is the shittiest Tool song ever, the voice gives me deep nausea and the lyrics are far from socially or politically engaged, they're just stupid. The result is quite boring. Maynard may have word ability and Justin may play incredibly well, but that's not a Tool song for me *listens to Pushit*

Just imagine if they had opened the album with it.

I Am Love
01-28-2007, 04:20 PM
it's a funky song. personally i love it. but i think people don't like it because it's different from their expectations... some of the people i know had a lot of expectations surrounding this album. which, if you go into it with certain expectations, then i can see how it might take a while to grow on you. nevertheless, it's a great song.

parables in the world
01-28-2007, 07:54 PM
yup thats why i never expect nothing from any band. If you expect something even just a little bit, then you are more than likely to be dissapointed. Back to topic...I like this song because it has some nice bass grooves, hell the whole album has groovy bass lines. But i'm a bassist so that might be why i like this album. If someone doesn't like it oh well more for me...

savoie2006
01-28-2007, 09:14 PM
I like the song and apparently the masses do as well since it is the ONLY Tool song to reach #1 on the Billboard.

Amazonis
01-29-2007, 09:44 PM
I hated this song until I stopped listening to the album in order. Listening to Wings For Marie and 10,000 Days before The Pot makes The Pot seam very shallow and meaningless.

Arkham Asylum
01-30-2007, 03:45 PM
People think it's too poppy. I've been a fan for quite some time, but I find that "The Pot" has a uniquely funky bass line which I love, but the song does not offer much other than novelty and some cynical lyrics.

ToolKlouD
02-06-2007, 07:32 PM
ppl are morons

AtomHeartMother
02-21-2007, 03:46 PM

Exactly. Worst TOOL song of all time. Every single song on Undertow, and even Opiate is 100 times more interesting and unique than The Pot.

Salvatorin
02-22-2007, 02:53 PM
disagree. this song is unique. i mean listen to the weird-ass guitar solo in here!

Matthew77
02-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Exactly. Worst TOOL song of all time. Every single song on Undertow, and even Opiate is 100 times more interesting and unique than The Pot.

Why compare Tool's songs of today with Opiate and Undertow? That is tool of 15 years ago! People grow as individuals and Tool has grown as musicians. I personally would not want to hear new Tool if it sounded like Opiate or Undertow.

<Insertcrypticnamehere>
02-23-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm going to go a step further than any supporter of this song has gone and I'm probably going to get chastised for it by the elitists posing as Tool fans. First of all, anyone who can't appreciate this song as being "Tool-like" enough is not a real fan of Tool. The very definition of Tool, Prog-metal, etc. is to progress/metamorphasize/change. This is by far one of their most progressive songs. No, this is one of their outright best songs. On this track Maynard shows why his vocal skill is above and beyond the range of not only most crappy metal singers but most singers in general. The lyrics may themselves be more blunt but since when is mystery a prerequisite for good lyrics? The message of this song is as emotional and angry, in a justified way, as Aenima. The overall layout of the song is one of the most dynamic I have ever seen with mathematically harmonious time schemes that only pure genius could transpose. Not to mention that it grows on you. I think it would be hard for a pure shot of adrenaline to have the same effect on me as the riff and percussion that begin to build at around the fourth minute mark. So to all of you homophobes joking about how Maynard sounds like a female at the intro anbd how this song is too "popy" I challenge you to find me one example of a song that incorporates this many moving parts so harmoniously. That builds this catharthically. This song is music theory at its best. Any evidence to the contary is not without inherent bias. And don't confuse popularity with shortcoming, it's just as close-minded to dismiss a song because it's popular as it is to like a song just because a corporation spoon-fed it to you.

Salvatorin
02-23-2007, 03:21 PM
greatly said,<Insertcrypticnamehere>, I couldn't have said it better. Nor could I have said it at all.

This song is R8 nice

tempo zilch
02-23-2007, 05:23 PM
then you're both morons.

Salvatorin
02-23-2007, 07:24 PM
bé quîet plëåse

Carny_Handles
05-06-2007, 12:58 PM
This was the first song on the record that I liked.
funny mine was rosetta stoned. I was blown away with 80% of the lyrics i could decipher.

Edge386
05-07-2007, 08:43 AM
"What is it I don't like about this song?" | "What is it I don't like about me?"

What's the difference?

toolwithapenis
05-07-2007, 03:26 PM
the pot = fucking bad ass song

Ghostwriter
06-21-2007, 09:48 AM
I like this song, it has good style.

Aerie
07-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Personally, I love this song and I love singing along with MJK.
And now, a message for all those who say we (the people who like this song) are morons - De gustibus non est disputandum. - You shouldn't dispute others' tastes, in musiac as well. if you don't like the song, say it and present sound arguments instead of just calling us stupid.
(hope some of you share my opinion)

Acid0.1
08-25-2007, 01:03 AM
The Pot is an amazing song, sure the first time I heard it Maynard had a different feel in his voice but it did grow on me eventually and in my opinion all the Tool songs are good in there own different ways.The reason why I found Tool as such a good bad in the first place was because all the songs sounded completely different from the next one, and The Pot fits that discription pretty well.

Eulogy33
08-29-2007, 04:19 PM
its a good song but....most people feel it was made for the radio and thats it.

mrskeenan
08-31-2007, 06:12 PM
i'm torn on this song, it's good, but it does seem a little mainstream sounding to me. it's not one of my favorites, but there's not a band out there that could even try to match it. i like it, it's just not what i would expect from tool, but then again that's what tool always gives me...the unexpected. it does show off some beautiful lyrical ability from maynard though.

miketh74
09-07-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm going to go a step further than any supporter of this song has gone and I'm probably going to get chastised for it by the elitists posing as Tool fans. First of all, anyone who can't appreciate this song as being "Tool-like" enough is not a real fan of Tool. The very definition of Tool, Prog-metal, etc. is to progress/metamorphasize/change. This is by far one of their most progressive songs. No, this is one of their outright best songs. On this track Maynard shows why his vocal skill is above and beyond the range of not only most crappy metal singers but most singers in general. The lyrics may themselves be more blunt but since when is mystery a prerequisite for good lyrics? The message of this song is as emotional and angry, in a justified way, as Aenima. The overall layout of the song is one of the most dynamic I have ever seen with mathematically harmonious time schemes that only pure genius could transpose. Not to mention that it grows on you. I think it would be hard for a pure shot of adrenaline to have the same effect on me as the riff and percussion that begin to build at around the fourth minute mark. So to all of you homophobes joking about how Maynard sounds like a female at the intro anbd how this song is too "popy" I challenge you to find me one example of a song that incorporates this many moving parts so harmoniously. That builds this catharthically. This song is music theory at its best. Any evidence to the contary is not without inherent bias. And don't confuse popularity with shortcoming, it's just as close-minded to dismiss a song because it's popular as it is to like a song just because a corporation spoon-fed it to you.

Very well put....

Tool is constantly evolving with their music. A lot of people think 46 & 2 is played at every concert because of it being their most "popular" song (shallow thinkers). Unfortunately, these so-called fans don't get the personal growth theme to it, which I think coincides with the music evolving and growing. Makes perfect sense why they perform it at almost every show.

The Pot simply points out America's hypocrisies with a muddy finger. It's an awesome song and is very Toolesque. Thanks for stickin' up for it. The musical quality and arrangement is yet another genius masterpiece.

1. Danny's double bass interludes.
2. Maynard's voice range.
3. Justin's bass intro.
4. Adam's just plain bad ass riffs.

I know others can analyze better, but I like the basics just fine.

:)

:)

emir7
09-21-2007, 05:25 PM
My first complaint was the lack of depth in lyrics, but reading around this forum changed that idea for me. Musically, though, it's just not as enticing as other Tool efforts. So I had two problems with the song, one corrected and the other still remains.

parables in the world
09-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Just forget all you know about music and....Feel the rhytmn...feel the song...

miketh74
09-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Just forget all you know about music and....Feel the rhytmn...feel the song...

Fathom the power.......

Esurient4Truth
09-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Why don't people like this song? My thoughts:

It encompasses everything that is mainstream on the radio. For me, I'm starting to grow real tired of what's played on the radio - and I'm sure many other people are too. The RIAA, the music labels and record companies - are all in control of our industry - only playing the same styles of monotonous music over and over again.

Was "The Pot" an effort by Tool to draw in those listening to the Top 40 pop/rock bands? If Tool is supposed to break this mold - then why create a song with this style and rhythm, when real Tool fans want more of what is Aenima and Lateralus? If I listen to "Bleed it Out" by Linkin Park then "The Pot" by Tool, I can't see a difference - 2 examples of mainstream songs that are played on the radio.

People who were drawn into the Tool due to "The Pot" instead of Undertow for example (when Maynard was at his best... period) were drawn in because it sounded like everything else they play on the radio - anything between Hinder and Incubus.

I think some people hate "The Pot" because it draws people back into the mainstream music scene. Others hate it because it's an artsy fartsy song that for me, is personally boring to listen to and doesn't hold the same values as older albums do.

It's just "another" song.

In my opinion, "Vicarious" should have gotten more airtime than "The Pot."

OuRsOuLsInMoTiOn
09-23-2007, 04:49 PM
I like the pot. So what if it's more mainstream! Fuck! It makes me groove (and others too I'm sure) and thats what matters right?

Headphuq
09-23-2007, 08:31 PM
I like the pot. So what if it's more mainstream! Fuck! It makes me groove (and others too I'm sure) and thats what matters right?

Fo Sho man!

miketh74
09-26-2007, 03:04 PM

It encompasses everything that is mainstream on the radio. For me, I'm starting to grow real tired of what's played on the radio - and I'm sure many other people are too. The RIAA, the music labels and record companies - are all in control of our industry - only playing the same styles of monotonous music over and over again.

Was "The Pot" an effort by Tool to draw in those listening to the Top 40 pop/rock bands? If Tool is supposed to break this mold - then why create a song with this style and rhythm, when real Tool fans want more of what is Aenima and Lateralus? If I listen to "Bleed it Out" by Linkin Park then "The Pot" by Tool, I can't see a difference - 2 examples of mainstream songs that are played on the radio.

People who were drawn into the Tool due to "The Pot" instead of Undertow for example (when Maynard was at his best... period) were drawn in because it sounded like everything else they play on the radio - anything between Hinder and Incubus.

I think some people hate "The Pot" because it draws people back into the mainstream music scene. Others hate it because it's an artsy fartsy song that for me, is personally boring to listen to and doesn't hold the same values as older albums do.

You are exactly right. Well thought out and said.

I wholeheartedly agree!!

fakinjamaican90
09-26-2007, 06:40 PM
i never liked tool all that much untill i heard this song, and then since then ive been listnen to all their other songs. idk, music grows on me. alot of times i dotn liek it at first. a lot of music is real catchy and good the first time, but its songs u gotta really sit and listen to and think about, that are fuckin awesome. this sogn is like all of that in one song. plus i mean who doesent love pot?

hes all like, ganja? nigga please wtf is the matter with your dumbass its justa herb!

wearethestories
09-27-2007, 04:16 PM
i never liked tool all that much untill i heard this song, and then since then ive been listnen to all their other songs. idk, music grows on me. alot of times i dotn liek it at first. a lot of music is real catchy and good the first time, but its songs u gotta really sit and listen to and think about, that are fuckin awesome. this sogn is like all of that in one song. plus i mean who doesent love pot?

hes all like, ganja? nigga please wtf is the matter with your dumbass its justa herb!

ignance.

fakinjamaican90
09-27-2007, 04:43 PM
well alright, what do u think he means?

jasminæ
10-01-2007, 02:07 AM

Word. it's a funky, groovy, badass, energetic, cathartic song...and I happen to love it...

I LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
HE LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
SHE LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
YOU LIKE TO, MOVE IT!

WE LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
YOU LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
I LIKE .. OH I DID I HAVE I DONE I? DID I DO I LIKE?
I THINK I DID I LIKE.. WE? WHAT ABOUT WE? THEY? THEY? I DID THEY.

OH I GOT IT, I GOT IT I GOT A NEW ONE I GOT A NEW ONE.. THEM?
NO NOT THEM.. DID I SAY THEM OR NOT?

THEM LIKE TO MOVE IT MOV... I'M GONNA SAY THEM

THEM LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
WE LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
UMM WAIT THERES GOTTA BE ANOTHER ONE WE... WE... NOPE.. OH US!
CAN WE DO US LIKE TO?

US LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT THATS THE ONE
US LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
US LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
US LIKE TO.. MOVE IT!

MOVE IT! MOVE ITTT.. MOVE IT! MOVE IT! MOVE IT MOVE IT

OKAY THEN, WANNA HEAR,
I JUST WANNA TELL YOU A LITTLE STORY THIS LITTLE STORY
THAT MY DADDY USED TO TELL ME HE WAS A KING AS
WELL I WAS BORN, PROBABLY ABOUT 68 YEARS AGO OVER BY
THAT TREE OVER THERE YEH
AND I REMEMBER THINGS CHANGED A LOT IN THOSE
DAYS, IN MADAGASCAR IT WASNT SO COMMERCIAL, YOU KNOW,
THERE WASNT ALL THE FUSS BOUT WHO'S GOT THE LATEST TREE
AND WHAT LEAVES
ARE YOU WEARING AND WHO'S GOT
THE LATEST FUR ON THEIR BACK YOU KNOW,
THOSE DAYS IT WAS JUST ME AND A COUPLE OF THE OTHERS YOU
KNOW, DOING THE JUNGLE BOOGIE YOU KNOW,
JUNGLE BOOGIE... JUNGLE BOOGIE
WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH

I LIKE TO MOVE IT!

YOU REALLY THINK THIS IS NEVER GONNA END COZ IT IS 3,2,1

NOT BAD EH? I LIKE IT

...it's not all that matters...but it definitely matters...

jasminæ
10-01-2007, 03:43 AM
I'm going to go a step further than any supporter of this song has gone and I'm probably going to get chastised for it by the elitists posing as Tool fans. First of all, anyone who can't appreciate this song as being "Tool-like" enough is not a real fan of Tool. The very definition of Tool, Prog-metal, etc. is to progress/metamorphasize/change. This is by far one of their most progressive songs. No, this is one of their outright best songs. On this track Maynard shows why his vocal skill is above and beyond the range of not only most crappy metal singers but most singers in general. The lyrics may themselves be more blunt but since when is mystery a prerequisite for good lyrics? The message of this song is as emotional and angry, in a justified way, as Aenima. The overall layout of the song is one of the most dynamic I have ever seen with mathematically harmonious time schemes that only pure genius could transpose. Not to mention that it grows on you. I think it would be hard for a pure shot of adrenaline to have the same effect on me as the riff and percussion that begin to build at around the fourth minute mark. So to all of you homophobes joking about how Maynard sounds like a female at the intro anbd how this song is too "popy" I challenge you to find me one example of a song that incorporates this many moving parts so harmoniously. That builds this catharthically. This song
is music theory at its best. Any evidence to the contary is not without inherent bias. And don't confuse popularity with shortcoming, it's just as close-minded to dismiss a song because it's popular as it is to like a song just because a corporation spoon-fed it to you.

beautiful...this debate should've ended when this enlightened creature sent this post...

miketh74
10-01-2007, 04:54 PM
I liked it as well.

But I like Ensurient4Truth's post. Summed up rather well.

GideonBufo
10-01-2007, 07:56 PM
It's so different from Tool's other stuff, you can see why the older fans wouldn't take to it. I personally think it's catchy, groovy and a damn fine tune. Justin shows amazing skill on it too, funky ass.

Yeah compare something like flood or prison sex to the pot, it sounds like a different band. Older fans who are used to tool being that probably wouldn't groove on this.

wearethestories
10-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Yeah compare something like flood or prison sex to the pot, it sounds like a different band. Older fans who are used to tool being that probably wouldn't groove on this.

Mehh... I like it a lot, and I groove to prison sex (well... you know...)

It's not the direction I'd like to see them continuing in (and yes, because it's so radio-friendly, so call me an elitist), but it's by no means a bad song.

Peanut's Parents
12-17-2007, 09:58 AM

I agree, "Vicarious" should've got more air time than "The Pot"
But that's the thing about the "now" mainstream, they play the crap.
There is not one TOOL song that i don't intently listen to and value, but "The Pot" is on the lower end of my favs.
And now is up for a Grammy. Go TOOL, congrats, but NOT FOR THAT SONG.
Sorry, but they have 10 times better songs thats been played on air.

Vicarious
Jambi
Lateralus
H.
and countless more, just naming some of my favs.

Come on, But I am excited about the glory that is coming to TOOL from this album.
"The Pot" is a good song, i enjoy listening to it, but there are WAY better song that you can learn and experience from that TOOL has crafted.

gonzo
09-12-2008, 02:52 PM
i like the song a lot and i never really thought about why...however, i'm new to this posting stuff so my reasons may seem simple and stupid but i feel the need to say something, anyway...first off, the pot reminds me of what Rush does, they work the same themes over many albums, in that i have always thought the pot was just intolerance pt.2- no one is innocent...secondly, the song stands out from the rest of record because it wouldn't have seemed out of place on say 13 steps(and from what i've read so far, most tool fans find apc sort of poppy)...now here's a suggestion, drink a bottle of red wine or two, crank up the pot until you feel it through the floor, and your chest heaves, turn on the tv, sound off, and watch the president and his men talk their heads off. i did this and i realized that the government has always perpetuated the idea that pot was a wmd infiltrating the inner fabric of their interpretation of how we should all live...fuck that, don't listen to what others tell you, think for yourself...those that control the army apparatus always want to tell us how to think and feel...and finally, i remember my dear grandmother from ireland saying over and over to me, " Now don't go calling the kettle black." Eventually i understood what she meant.

Vein
11-19-2008, 12:45 PM
The pot was the first song I listened to that had temporarily convinced me that 10kdayz was a hoax. The first 30 seconds hurt my balls.

usefulidiot227f
12-14-2008, 08:48 PM
I don't think it's the worse song on the album, but I really don't care for the lyrics, and to me the music gets a little monotonous. Which is weird because I love swamp song. I also dislike the song because, as others have pointed out, it gets a lot of radio play. And being on the radio isn't the part that I don't like, it's the fact there are people who don't understand Tool, which I hold very near and dear to me, that are going to like the song JUST because it's called The Pot and possibly (or definitely to the untrained ear, ie the casual listener) has lyrics about pot. People like that just piss me off. But the main reason I don't care for the song would be that I don't care for the lyrics, I don't care what secret message is behind them because I still find them rather uninspiring, and I find that the music is a little boring even if I don't compare it to their other songs, just as a straight rock song. I actually enjoy the high singing he pulls off in the beginning though. It made me smile to hear that he still has a vocal range (cause we all know his voice is getting a little tired with age).
But not their worst song...I think Right in Two is the worst (not including segues), but I'm sure I'll catch slack for that.

usefulidiot227f
12-14-2008, 08:51 PM
On an unrelated note
@ Vein

Rosetta fan?(the band I mean, not a shortened version of Rosetta Stoned) I recognized the Wake/Lift album cover. They're only like one of my favorite bands. And cause I live so close to Philly, I get to see them a bunch.

base metal
12-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Why didn't people like the pot?

It was a 'normal' song with a balls out guitar track that failed to pry open 3rd eyes, I guess.

gonzo
12-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Why didn't people like the pot?

It was a 'normal' song with a balls out guitar track that failed to pry open 3rd eyes, I guess.

I concur.
I liked how succinctly you put it. I read my earlier post, and it sucked. Damn I'm an idiot.

What caught me, then as now, is the fact I like saying the phrase, "Piss on my black kettle."
Plus the guitar track. Balls out!
And I don't need a 3rd eye to feel the song pulse up through my feet, up my legs, past the hips to my spine. And then, just letting the air move me.

12-15-2008, 02:55 PM
The pot was the first song I listened to that had temporarily convinced me that 10kdayz was a hoax. The first 30 seconds hurt my balls.

srsly hoax ?

ufopancakes
01-16-2009, 11:36 AM

One could easily use this argument for the song Stinkfist... which drew in a lot of Tools loyal followers. (For me it was sober, and eventually the whole lateralus album)

I also have a few friends that cannot tell the difference between Tool and Nickleback. Thats like someone who cant see the difference between black and white... To each his own I guess.

I think the song captures a lot of Tools power, the odd swing in the timing, and more interesting play on words.. And I'm also of the opinion that Tool is not interested in appealing to the mainstream crowd. After all... they have come as far as they have because they create art for themselves, and share it with others.

I will say though, the intro of this song caught me off guard in the first listen. But once the bass line kicked in, it was all good.

CCP
06-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Terrible song. should be called The Pot[ty].

Inner_Eulogy
06-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Terrible song. should be called The Pot[ty].

Matter of opinion

univonc
07-20-2009, 03:28 AM
I love this song! One of my favorites on the CD.

I guess everyone's taste is in their mouth......

gonzo
07-20-2009, 03:59 AM
I will say though, the intro of this song caught me off guard in the first listen. But once the bass line kicked in, it was all good.

this sounds spot on. i really like the bass, it totally honks and moves the song along.

CCP
08-06-2009, 08:39 PM
i really like the bass, it totally honks and moves the song along.

Yeah the bass in this song is cool, i like it a lot. But what was Maynard thinking? lol someone should have told him how bad that intro sounds before they released it, how embarrasing lol

inSin
08-06-2009, 09:02 PM
i like the intro because its different... a little to high... but eh.. oh well

gonzo
08-07-2009, 05:07 AM
Yeah the bass in this song is cool, i like it a lot. But what was Maynard thinking? lol someone should have told him how bad that intro sounds before they released it, how embarrasing lol

i remember thinking last week that it seemed as if James (matured after writing Wings/10k) was having an internal conversation with Maynard (who wrote Judith). and it's always a little embarrasing talking to yourself. and the artist thought, 'fuck it, leave it in there.'

YUBitchin
08-11-2009, 02:16 PM
What was Maynard thinking? lol someone should have told him how bad that intro sounds before they released it, how embarrasing lol

I like the intro it makes the song that much more distinct. We all sing it at work when its on and it sounds awesome. You know what's embarrassing? Misspelling emb...never mind.

Ravenpig
08-13-2009, 05:47 PM
The only place I've ever heard anyone say that this song sucks is on the internet.

Shocking isn't?

CCP
08-13-2009, 06:20 PM
The only place I've ever heard anyone say that this song sucks is on the internet.

Shocking isn't?

Really? i've only met a few people who like it, but they're all new tool fans who have only heard 10,000 days. I've told them all what I think of it. Shit I still laugh just thinking about the start of the song lol

withSpirit
08-13-2009, 06:48 PM
The only song on 10,000 Days I don't absolutely love, though it is way more interesting than Stinkfist, anything on Opiate, and a lot of Undertow IMO, and obviously way better musically.

Yast3r
08-13-2009, 06:54 PM
I like the beginning. It's a great sing-a-long song, who fucking cares if it's not deep and reflective. It's good music.

Tool fans = head up their asses.

CCP
08-13-2009, 07:58 PM
I like the beginning. It's a great sing-a-long song, who fucking cares if it's not deep and reflective. It's good music.

Tool fans = head up their asses.

It's not the lack of depth that makes me laugh. It's Maynards attempt at that range lol

Yast3r
08-13-2009, 08:19 PM
He's not a trained musician, he's a learned singer and simply goes with the heart. I personally think it sounds great, and he pulled it off. I'm far from a Tool asskisser, but that bit is far from complaint worthy, unless it ruins the angst vibe the rest of their work carries.

Mr. Judgemental
03-03-2010, 08:19 PM
I think that people hate this song because it is a different pace than the other songs Tool releases. Just because something is different doesn't mean it's bad.

I like this song because I can relate to it. In my school, (i'm 16,) I know so many hypocrites it isnt funny. I relate to this song more than any other Tool song. It certainly isn't the best, but it isn't the worst. Leave that spot for Disgustipated.

mcnadd
03-03-2010, 08:37 PM
disgustipated kicks ass live, watch it in england 94 on youtube

hushypushy
03-04-2010, 02:51 PM
It certainly isn't the best, but it isn't the worst. Leave that spot for Disgustipated.

When you grow up, you'll appreciate Disgustipated. One of their most poignant and interesting songs....I can't get enough of LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES and all the shotgun blasts. I gained a lot more respect for it after seeing the Undertow behind-the-scenes footage.

Mr. Judgemental
03-13-2010, 02:07 PM
When you grow up, you'll appreciate Disgustipated. One of their most poignant and interesting songs....I can't get enough of LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES and all the shotgun blasts. I gained a lot more respect for it after seeing the Undertow behind-the-scenes footage.

I actually sat down the other day and listened all the way through it. I realized that it is a lot better than I originally thought. I also realized that ominous filler tracks Tool has have meaning like all their other songs. I now veiw their filler tracks as, "a short break," rather than, "pure and utter crap."

BACK ON THE DISCUSSION OF THE POT NOW

fearandloathing
03-13-2010, 06:51 PM
I now veiw their filler tracks as, "a short break," rather than, "pure and utter crap."

i still consider a few segues "pure and utter crap", but only the ones that deserve it.

Mr. Judgemental
04-10-2010, 04:07 PM
i still consider a few segues "pure and utter crap", but only the ones that deserve it.

Like what? Lipan Conjuring? Mantra? Sure, they aren't as awesome or hilarious as their other segues, but they still have that meaning of "Don't just look at things on the surface." And Lipan goes along very well with Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned. Lipan represents the trip before the aftermath (Lost Keys,) and now he has to explain all of this (Rosetta Stoned.)

NOW WE START OUR DISCUSSION OF THE POT.

05-15-2011, 03:12 PM
People need to stop saying this song is "Undertow-ish". It's definitely not Undertow related, if anything I thought it was the passive sequel to Hooker With A Penis because it deals with Maynard venting his frustrations at a particular issue. I guess alot of songs off Undertow follow the same trend, but they all have deeper metaphorical meanings than The Pot (well most of them do anyway). I fucking love this song and I don't care what people say, great bass line thats simple but catchy (and damn fun to play, makes me feel like a badass) and the lyrics flow well with it too. Also I feel like people just thought it was cool to bash on The Pot because everyone called it "simple" and "silly". Lastly, Maynard doesn't sound black at all. The people who said that are fucking retarded no offense. Go listen to some Jay-Z or Tupac then come back and tell me he sounds black or that he's "rapping". He's just singing in this high octave range that he usually doesn't sing in, so he doesn't sound like mature Maynard. if anything I was thinking of the angry version of Robert Plant singing this because of the high vocal range (I would love to hear him sing this song!)

x s|n x
07-13-2012, 10:30 PM
I love the song & could care less if others agree. <3