PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feel this way....

conawayb
08-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Did anyone feel sorry for the main character? Especially during the climax.

Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One
Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see.

But I forgot my pen
Shit the bed again ...
Typical.

I've been in many a drug induced delusion in my time, but I never once thought I might be the final messenger to mankind. I could almost feel the sinking feeling of low self worth in the main character. It almost brought me to tears. Did anyone else feel this way?

Also just a quick question. I know this song tells a fairly straight-forward story. But it would be almost un Tool-like to have something accepted at face value. Would it be considered over analyzing to assume there's something more to this song than the story itself. Who knows? Just a thought.

Terry21
08-26-2006, 12:25 AM
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=58976 Read my post. Yeah, you can definately feel sorry for him, especially because he seems to be a broken character (didn't graduate from highscool, finally it's my lucky day). For your question. I think the basic lyrics are very straight forward, probably there are not many metaphors, except maybe something with drugs and spirituality, but I doubt it. There are some rather fun secrets in this track, with all this Enuchian language and stuff like that and there's definately more to this song than just the story itself, but I don't think you have to deform the story that much.

spacemonkeyadb
08-26-2006, 04:28 AM
I know this song tells a fairly straight-forward story. But it would be almost un Tool-like to have something accepted at face value. Would it be considered over analyzing to assume there's something more to this song than the story itself?
Yes, I think there is more to this song than the simple story it tells. See my thread: http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=56036
It has slipped off the 1st page of threads, but got a lot of positive responses when it was new.

conawayb
08-26-2006, 07:59 AM
Thats exactly it Terry. He seemed like such a broken man. He had no education or anything. It seemed like when the alien told him the message he finally felt like he was going to be something or make a difference in the world. "Finally its my lucky day" He was set up to assume that everything was going to change. "But I forgot my pen" Shit the bed again" TYPICAL

Mslash68
09-11-2006, 10:50 AM
I have been in such an induced state as to actually believe that I would be LET IN on the true meaning. I then spent the next several hours contemplating my impending knowledge, thinking about those squirrels.
I eventually came down, and thought "WOW, I actually believed all that stuff I was thinking." Alas It has been a year later, no new info, no new insites.

PS: IF you were telling this story to someone in a Hospital, I figure they would strap you down to the bed to keep from going off more than you had.

benjamin
09-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Did anyone feel sorry for the main character? Especially during the climax.

Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One
Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see.

But I forgot my pen
Shit the bed again ...
Typical.

I've been in many a drug induced delusion in my time, but I never once thought I might be the final messenger to mankind. I could almost feel the sinking feeling of low self worth in the main character. It almost brought me to tears. Did anyone else feel this way?

Also just a quick question. I know this song tells a fairly straight-forward story. But it would be almost un Tool-like to have something accepted at face value. Would it be considered over analyzing to assume there's something more to this song than the story itself. Who knows? Just a thought.

I don't think the story is saying that 'this crazy guy thinks he's the next savior'.

More like 'this errogant society thinks our next savior is crazy.'