PDA

View Full Version : Missing lyrics?

resonance.
08-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Does anyone know why the line "The Devil and his has me down" can barely be heard on mono devices? When I play it through my computer speaker the line is practically gone. Any ideas?

Terry21
08-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Because it's intentionally only in one speaker.

resonance.
08-25-2006, 03:51 PM
Because it's intentionally only in one speaker.

It's not though, first thing I checked. It's definitly coming out of both sides, and modulating at some weird frequency. That still wouldn't explain why the line is completely knocked out.

n_run
08-25-2006, 05:45 PM
the same thing happens when my wife plays the track through her ipod in her car. It's only through the ipod though, the CD works fine. I really didn't think too much of it and thought it was just the ipod. I'll check it out again.

resonance.
08-28-2006, 05:13 PM
No one has any idea why the line would get knocked out? Serious studio trickery here...

khemystri
08-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Its out of PHASE

sound.out.light
08-28-2006, 05:36 PM
i dont think it has anything to do with phase. phase i dont think would effect the way you hear it on different stereos aside from normal subtle tonal differences. maybe its in 4 channels? then again my work van only has two front speakers and i hear that line fine...and its on my ipod...

rogerdoger
08-28-2006, 05:45 PM
MP3 files have much lower quality than normal CD's do. Maybe it has something to do with that.

resonance.
08-28-2006, 05:50 PM
MP3 files have much lower quality than normal CD's do. Maybe it has something to do with that.

I'll try the cd when I get home. Could be....

EDIT:

Something in the back of my mind is telling me something similar happens with NIN's Broken album.... can't put my finger on it

Carbonatedgravy
08-28-2006, 06:10 PM
I took the cd to my parents' house about a month back and when I put it in this karaoke machine my mom has it had this exact problem.

Yes, yes. I'm aware of what I'm admitting.

roscoe.etc
08-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Its out of PHASE

AGREED

resonance.
08-28-2006, 11:34 PM
okay, what does that even mean? Out of phase?

sound.out.light
08-29-2006, 12:05 PM
the phase wouldn't have anything to do with the way you hear it on different stereos. phasing happens in the recording process and usually has to do with the position of two microphones at a certain distance apart and the two different wave forms cancel each other out because the cycles are aligned in a way in which the two waves difference equals zero. its hard to explain and i may be giving a somewhat shitty definition but i highly doubt it has anything to do with the phase..that wouldnt change no matter what stereo you played it on..

n_run
08-29-2006, 12:34 PM
the phase wouldn't have anything to do with the way you hear it on different stereos. phasing happens in the recording process and usually has to do with the position of two microphones at a certain distance apart and the two different wave forms cancel each other out because the cycles are aligned in a way in which the two waves difference equals zero. its hard to explain and i may be giving a somewhat shitty definition but i highly doubt it has anything to do with the phase..that wouldnt change no matter what stereo you played it on..

I agree with you on this.

resonance.
09-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Did anyone figure this out?

Get_Ya_Wicked_On
09-26-2006, 12:58 PM
i've had all kinds of cd's do that over the years

some playing devices make it barely audible while other just take it out completely

it's probably something having to do with the one speaker vs stereo crap. who cares...