PDA

View Full Version : who exactly is this directed to?...

Smokin joe
11-25-2002, 01:51 PM
to the actual listeners of the shitty music, the music industry, the copy-cat-pop musicians?

joe

nina
11-29-2002, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by Smokin joe
to the actual listeners of the shitty music, the music industry, the copy-cat-pop musicians?

joe

perhaps not...maybe it is directed at you and me and all the other tool fans for sucking out his life force and expecting certain things from him.

just a theory

LazyE462
12-25-2002, 10:18 AM
It could really be directed toward anyone. Could be lawyers, hehe. Could be those dumb fans who complain that they dont play Swamp Song live, hehe, you know who you are. I would worry about who it is, i think they meant it so that you could find someone that fits the description for you, and the song becomes yours.

SmileyGladhands
01-10-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by nina
perhaps not...maybe it is directed at you and me and all the other tool fans for sucking out his life force and expecting certain things from him.

just a theory

I took the song as a shot at the fans for complaining about the time it took, but yet there are always those who complain about something when they get it. So he's just saying "You wanted it, you got it. I don't care if you like it or not, either way, kiss my ass." Not that it's a bad thing, I love Maynard's sense of humor so to me this song is awesome. I'll admit, as much as I love every Tool song, I am drawn to their heavier stuff.

WrpdConscience
01-17-2003, 01:43 AM
Just thought I'd post my opinion here. This is one of my favorite songs. I believe the song could be about the entire human race, and the song is written from the view of the Earth. Sounds kinda corny and by no means am I saying this is what the band means by the song. It's just 1 way I interpret it, and that's probably because I'm majoring in environmental studies.

I won't go through line by line just because I'm to lazy, but basically to me it seems like people mining and drilling and removing things from the earth resemble a horde of ticks. In the end we will most likely die from the effects of what we have done. This is a very vague interpretation of what I get from the song. I could go on for a while but as stated earlier I am a very lazy person.

3rd eye
01-17-2003, 02:21 AM
I always had the impresion it was about the people who have superficial incentives directly related to money. The people who don't have much of a soul, but just operate on emotion alone, sucking people dry for their money or affiliated benefits.

p.s. Fuck the people who go to tool shows and don't know anything about the band, screaming for them to play a song. Ever heard of a setlist???? DUMB FUCKS.

Cronos
01-17-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Smokin joe

joe

God

"Suck and suck.
Suckin up all you can, suckin up all you can suck.
Workin up under my patience like a little tick.
Fat little parasite.

You have turned my blood cold and bitter,
beat my compassion black and blue.

Taken all I can, taken all I can fuckin' can take.
Taken all you can, taken all you can fuckin' take
Got nothing left to give to you.

Suck me dry.
Is this what you wanted?
Is this what you had in mind?
Cuz this this is what you're getting.
I hope you choke."

Windowlicker
01-18-2003, 09:19 AM
In an article i read that maynard said it was about the businessguys who began a lawsuit against tool, and prevent them from making a new album. Thats why the long waiting for Lateralus.

Misanthrope
01-25-2003, 10:39 PM
I would say either the fans or the record company people. It's impossible to know for sure, but that's the best I can come up with.