PDA

View Full Version : The Significance of the two parter

conawayb
08-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Hello everyone! This is my first post. Sorry if this has been discussed before but I was just wondering why Wings for Marie and 10,000 days are two seperate songs rather than just one long one. The mood tends to be a bit darker on 10kd. Perhaps one is pre-death and one is post-death or perhaps I am way off. What do you guys think?

mike09
08-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Perhaps one is pre-death and one is post-death

Yes. Also, there seems to be a theme in the album concerning division and unity (two becoming one). The pictures in the artwork express that theme as well.

10,000 boobies
08-25-2006, 05:32 PM
SO the whole thing surrounding these two songs is that you can play them as one right? I've heard that and then heard that song mixed but its not all that great

mike09
08-25-2006, 05:37 PM
No. It's one 17 minute long song. The band has said nothing about an ultimate mix with viginti tree added to it.

Question
09-18-2006, 04:17 PM
No. It's one 17 minute long song. The band has said nothing about an ultimate mix with viginti tree added to it.

Just because the band didnt say anything doesnt mean it isnt there. They arent going to tell us everything. Its up to us to get what we want from it.

parables in the world
10-01-2006, 05:33 PM
whatever pleases your tool fix......but i believe one is when she dies and the other is her funeral.

iAMtheMA!
10-03-2006, 05:12 AM
wings is at her death bed, 10k is at the funeral.
that's the initial imagery i've gotten.

bluegreenjackiechan
10-11-2006, 02:38 AM
wings is at her death bed, 10k is at the funeral.
that's the initial imagery i've gotten.

Very true but its also to do with Maynard coming to terms with the loss of his mother:

"Daylight dims leaving cold fluorescence.
Difficult to see you in this light.
Please forgive this bold suggestion:
Should you see your Maker's face tonight,
Look Him in the eye, look Him in the eye, and tell Him:
I never lived a lie, never took a life, but surely saved one.
Hallelujah, it's time for you to bring me home."

He has to accept shes gone now and that this is her end and rest!

cgraham
11-18-2006, 09:02 AM

I have heard the mix of all three songs overlapping and it can't be a coincidence that they work together, it does seem a little muffled in parts but overall, it just works somehow.

Cheers.

mr. nikki jensen
01-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Yes. Also, there seems to be a theme in the album concerning division and unity (two becoming one). The pictures in the artwork express that theme as well.

i agree with mike here.

wearethestories
02-10-2007, 10:34 AM
they don't work together... unless by together you mean ONE AFTER THE OTHER... which, then, they do

Crissaegrim
02-23-2007, 09:15 AM
I think that the songs represent a parent child theme. Both songs have the same structure only 10000 days is a bigger larger version of Wings. I think it is Wings for Marie + 10000 Days is like Maynard + His mom.

tempo zilch
02-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Just because the band didnt say anything doesnt mean it isnt there. They arent going to tell us everything. Its up to us to get what we want from it.

During a phone interview, Adam Jones stated that the "secret overlapping track theory" was "jus not true", sounded bad, and that if they intended it to be one song, they'd have released it as one song. He sounded a bit disgusted.

rembrandt_q_einstein
02-25-2007, 10:32 PM
I have heard the mix of all three songs overlapping and it can't be a coincidence that they work together, it does seem a little muffled in parts but overall, it just works somehow.

Cheers.

and pink floyd also made dark side of the moon to sync with wizard of oz

jevons
03-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Fucking shit. Fucking fucking shit.

If it doesn't fit into your classifications for song, you always have to fuck with it.
Viginti Tres (Sixty) if fine the way it is.

Fucking fuck. The songs are split the way they are so the imagery of Wings can work. They are to be sequential, not compiled or symbiotic. No one can fly with one wing, i think Maynard knows this.

You can't make one thing plural unless you cut it in half, or quarters, or eighths, tenths, so onths... Fuck.

Wing for Marie wouldn't make much sense now would it.

Fuck.

I like the storm track in pt. 2. Very Riders on the Storm.

I think i'll go get some acid and listen to Roadhouse Blues.

jevons
03-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Like who?

jevons
03-11-2007, 02:24 PM
I learn the most important things aboot myself in the smells of my shit.

Makes me feel Humangous.

Which is hard to do sometimes.

0ctopod
04-29-2007, 09:22 PM
I think it has something to do with the rampant duality at work throughout the band's catalog. Entities are always "splitting apart" and/or "becoming one" within the songs, so it makes sense that the songs would start doing so as well. If a character within one of their videos can have a cancerous growth (a la the male figures in the Stinkfist and Schism videos) then it just resonates with the idea of two-part songs.

The next obvious steps, ***, would be for an album to do the same thing (as in a double record) or perhaps a video. The two-part video may be a bit too cliche, though, so maybe they'll opt for the record. An interesting point on that front, however, is that both of the videos for Lateralus contained two tracks each... another implicit reference to the duality/becoming one binary.

I covered a bit of this in my (-) Ions blog:
http://inkescape.blogspot.com/2006/02/ions.html