PDA

View Full Version : Is Maynard a nazi?

bassbawls
11-25-2002, 09:12 AM
I think that this song is meant to call our attention to the fact that things are not always as they seem to be. Just because a song sounds like some psychotic nazi rally doesn't mean that it is. It also seems to address the fallibility of our emotions and perceptions; if we rely solely on these, we end up at a very wrong conclusion. Logic and the defeat of ignorance seem to be the underpinnings of this track. Never pass judgement without knowing the whole story.

HumanHerd
12-02-2002, 01:03 AM
I knew some incredibly stupid people before I moved here to Seattle from a small hick town in eastern Washington who were totally racist and loved Tool because they believed that Tool was racist as well. And all because of this song. They hear the German language and automatically think it's some kind of Nuremburg Nazi rally. I tried to explain to them the actual lyrics of the song, but their ignorance was so great that they claimed that I didn't know a word of German and that I was a '****** ******-lover'. Now I have been to Der Deutschland and if I know anything about the German people it's that they HATE Nazism and are very regretful of their countries history. These idiotic children (I call them children because their intelligence is equal to that of a five year old) still believe that Germany is a hotbed of racism and that the Nazi party is still in control there. I think Tool did something ingenius with this song, because it exposed ignorant people for what they are. Thanks.

hateandvaseline
12-02-2002, 06:19 PM
Try reading the 'An Example of Ignorance' section of this song, HumanHerd, it'll do you quite good. Try the FAQ also.

HumanHerd
12-04-2002, 02:59 AM
I hope you didn't misunderstand me, vaseline. I know what the song is really all about, and I know that Tool is in no way racist or biased. I just wanted to state the fact that there are some people out there who horribly misinterpret this song and end up with the completely wrong idea about it.

lacacia
12-06-2002, 01:31 AM
i live in seattle and i still know skinheads who love tool for this song. i dont think eastern washington's the only place racist people are, especially ones who are eager to jump on anything that justifies their hate and fear of different people.

i love america.

MyShadow
12-06-2002, 04:53 PM
Ever notice how the fans go wild when the words, "Und Keine Eier!" are shouted charismatically? Yes, I know this may have been added using a audio program, all the more reason why it could have a point... I think this song was either made just to have a little extra fun, or it was used to show the ignorance of some of the people who enjoy Tool because the other person at work/school/concert enjoys them(basically they want to fit it, they buy the CDs so they can feel "cool", then allow the CDs to collect dust on their shelves).
I don't think masses of people would start cheering because someone shouted the words, "And no eggs!" I believe they are cheering because a few people thought that, "Und Keine Eier!" sounded unique and "cool" to them, started to cheer, then the person next to them might think *Hmm... this must mean something "cool"* so then they cheer, starting a chain reaction.
I may be(and probably am) way off the true meaning behide the song, just a concept to think about. Also, for those who might think so, Maynard did not sing Die Eier Von Satan(Therefore, it pretty much defeats the idea that Maynard is a Nazi. Also, Germans are no longer Nazis, and the German language was not invented by Hitler, therefore, it really does not pertain to Nazis at all.). I'm almost absolutely sure that Maynard did not sing Die Eier Von Satan, I've seen the name of the person who did sing it written somewhere else. I believe it was one of the bassists who tried out for Tool. I remember reading this, I just don't want to say I'm 100% sure, I could have had an extreme hallucination for all I know.
Anyway, thanks for listening to my ranting.

bassbawls
12-07-2002, 11:36 PM
I think that the whole lemming theory that you've come up with is really something worth considering. But please, don't misunderstand the title of my post. I was merely using sarcasim to address the fact that people assume that this song is Aryan in nature and thersfore believe that Maynard (and the rest of the members) are Nazis. Back to your theory, all too often do large masses of people try to adapt to their surroundings so they will fit in (how many Abercrombie shirts do you see in a given day?). As I believe is usually the case in their music, Tool is trying to encourage people to think for themselves or to read beyond the aestetic nature of a song into it's true (or other possible) meanings.

river
12-09-2002, 08:23 AM
Hey I am from Germany so this song is the only one where I understand every word.It have nothing to do with NaziThings it is a mexican recept for Christmas biscuits.I reed in a interview that they choose the German language because it sounds hard(like "Angst" you know the word).In the same interview they sad that it is a friend of the band who things this song and not Maynard (listen to the voice man). If any Skinheads like this song, just because Skinheads do not think for Themselves. They are born to follow.

megadan
12-09-2002, 08:56 AM
The voice was I believe Marko Fox, if memory serves correctly.

But i just wanted to say i never even thought the word nazi when i heard this song. It was just a cool segue wiht some german words... it was neat... And really, given the harshness of the background noise, doing this in english would have just been stupid.
I find it amazing that people actually think nazi when they hear these. They must REALLY love rammstein... geez.
i can't really fathom it.
Good old Canada.

MyShadow
12-09-2002, 02:10 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought... Since when did the German language become a trademark for Nazis? I think the German language is real unique, probably would require tons of time to learn it.. Too bad they only have Spanish and French classes in my school. Anyway, skinheads are retarded. Although I don't always like to say it, we get many(huge percent) of our items and ideas from other cultures, so the U.S. is basically a mix of many cultures. That kinda defeats to purpose of persecuting other races and the such. there wouldn't be much left.
Oh, yeah, sorry bassbawls if I seemed to point you out as believing that Maynard was a nazi. I didn't really mean to do that(now that I've read it over, I see how it could seem as if I did so) just meant to make sure people who might would think about it before they went about defiling him. Although, I doubt there are any people on these forums who would do that. Oh well... "Und Keine Eier!"

ShackledEidolon
12-09-2002, 02:28 PM
It is really interesting though how the reaction exists...when you really have no idea about something you are looking purely at the emotion...and the emotion was sinister for some. It's a very powerful method to illustrate the point that you have to educate yourself before you can really make a decision. Our preconceptions and socialization have caused certain traits and qualities (stereotypes) to drive our perception of the world. Even if you didn't instantly think Nazi when you heard this song im sure that some kind of sinister thought crossed your mind...at least a first. I won't pretend to say that I didn't at first see something like that...I didn't really care for the song at first particularly when I heard some of the reactions to it like near illiterate racist guys in my school...but after taking the time to translate it I thought it was funny as hell, and realized I had been duped to some degree...its just a way to show that we can easliy be wrong and our ignorance can contaminate a whole group...its only once you think about it that you see through the bs

LazyE462
12-28-2002, 09:49 AM
Yeah, i think its really hilarious how people just have conceptions of what a nazzi rant sounds like. I find it hilarious that tool would throw that type of joke on the album, because i know so many people who think that its some type of brainwashing nazi rant, lol.